I can't lose weight

I'm trying to stay motivated, but it's like I can't find what works for me. I've done weight watchers, meal plans, weird diets, counting calorie. All I do is yoyo.

I'll be doing good and then I just gain my few pounds that i lost, right back. I really don't know what to do. It's been years

Replies

• shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    edited February 2018
    How is your consistency?

Do you see the scale go up a bit and then decide it's not working?

Weight loss isn't linear. Weight fluctuations are normal. This is what daily weigh-ins look like during weight loss:
    gpqa794agg57.jpg
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    You need to be consistent long term with the calorie counting - don't be overly restrictive with food choices, or try and lose weight too quickly (from restrictive calories and/or excessive exercise to create an unhealthily large deficit)

Be patient! Wouldn't your rather get to your goal in a year, than try to get there in 3 months but give up and put weight back on?
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,583 Member
    I really don't know what to do. It's been years

weigh your food, log it all accurately. do this religiously for 6 weeks minimum. Weigh weekly, same day, same environment, same clothes, whatever. If your weight stays the same, then eat less. If you're weight is trending upwards, eat less. If you're losing, then you're on the right track.

Don't over complicate it. Don't overthink it. It's a math problem, you just have to factor time and if you're being honest with yourself into the equation.

• alexakimbro
    alexakimbro Posts: 17 Member
    How is your consistency?

Weight loss isn't linear. Weight fluctuations are normal. This is what daily weigh-ins look like during weight loss:
    gpqa794agg57.jpg

Honestly --- yes. I was losing weight, losing weight....then 1 week I gained almost 3 lbs....the next week, I only lost 1 of those lbs. So, then I lose my motivation and figured that it's not working for me and look for the next "solution". Except, I'm running out of solution. I have a skewed way of thinking that if I'm not continuously losing weight, then I'm obviously doing something wrong and need to stop and do something else before it gets out of hand.
  • alexakimbro
    You need to be consistent long term with the calorie counting - don't be overly restrictive with food choices, or try and lose weight too quickly (from restrictive calories and/or excessive exercise to create an unhealthily large deficit)

Be patient! Wouldn't your rather get to your goal in a year, than try to get there in 3 months but give up and put weight back on?

Yeah this is true! I want the weight to come off and actually stay off. I lost roughly 20 lbs about 6 years ago. In the end, I gained that back PLUS way more. And now for years, it just seems like the weight isn't moving.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    How is your consistency?

gpqa794agg57.jpg

Honestly --- yes. I was losing weight, losing weight....then 1 week I gained almost 3 lbs....the next week, I only lost 1 of those lbs. So, then I lose my motivation and figured that it's not working for me and look for the next "solution". Except, I'm running out of solution. I have a skewed way of thinking that if I'm not continuously losing weight, then I'm obviously doing something wrong and need to stop and do something else before it gets out of hand.

eating in a calorie deficit DOES work... but weight loss is not linear, and you may have weeks where you have a gain and then it takes 3-4 weeks to go back down, but if you are consistent over months, you will lose weight.
  • alexakimbro
    lichn wrote: »
    It's easy to get discouraged in the beginning when you saw a rush of weight drop off in the first couple weeks, then it starts to stabilize and doesn't rush off so fast. Maybe after a strict calorie restriction you've gotten really ravenously hungry and you need to have a higher cal day so you splurged. Don't feel like a failure when that happens, work with your body and the signals it's sending. The guilt/shame cycle has to be broken because that's what yo-yo patterns are made of.

The hard part is getting your head around the long game. You aren't a failure if you indulge in old habits for a day, or even a few days. Having a bad day doesn't mean you're doomed to always have bad days, or that you should resign yourself to it. This stuff is one day at a time. Slow and steady. Seek pleasure in your food, maybe in new ways. Find the pleasure in how healthy food makes you feel, and the fresher flavours of the good food you're trying to eat more of. It may take some time to adjust, and that's ok. One step at a time.

Awww :'( I really needed this. Thank you so much <3<3 . I do often beat myself up Terribly if I feel like I didn't do something right or if I should eat better, etc. I need to start taking it as a day by day process and not stress over it so much. Because it's honestly a concern I have on my head every second of the day
  • alexakimbro
    I really don't know what to do. It's been years

weigh your food, log it all accurately. do this religiously for 6 weeks minimum. Weigh weekly, same day, same environment, same clothes, whatever. If your weight stays the same, then eat less. If you're weight is trending upwards, eat less. If you're losing, then you're on the right track.

Don't over complicate it. Don't overthink it. It's a math problem, you just have to factor time and if you're being honest with yourself into the equation.

6 weeks?!? Would've never thought to do that! After 1-2 weeks of bad "outcomes" I always wave my white flag of defeat. I'll give this a go. Thank you so much :)
  • jeffblunck
    jeffblunck Posts: 8 Member
    Water weight was very confusing for me in the beginning. It can fluctuate 5-10 lbs quickly. Someone else mentioned also, commit to the long game. Here is an article that may clarify it a bit?
    https://www.shape.com/lifestyle/mind-and-body/when-your-weight-fluctuates-whats-normal-and-whats-not
  • Download a trending app such as happy scale. My weight fluctuates A LOT but as you can see I’m trending down. I’ve been at this since the end of September and I’ve had my weeks were I’ve struggled despite doing everything “right”. I’ve second guessed myself and wondered if I should do something different. No matter what you do as long as you’re in a calorie deficit that’s all that matters. If you aren’t currently working out I highly suggest it. It really helps with the mental aspect as it boosts your mood and energy. There are plenty of free videos on YouTube. 0027g806ye2h.png
  • mca90guitar
    mca90guitar Posts: 290 Member
    Measure your waist. I have had points where weight loss wasnt moving down quick but the waist was still dropping inches. Also pictures to see the progress helps alot.

• TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    I'm trying to stay motivated, but it's like I can't find what works for me. I've done weight watchers, meal plans, weird diets, counting calorie. All I do is yoyo.

I'll be doing good and then I just gain my few pounds that i lost, right back. I really don't know what to do. It's been years

Weight can fluctuate anywhere from 1-5 pounds. Time of month, sore muscles (new exercise) higher sodium days, even the bathroom schedule can mess up weigh-ins. Trend Weight and Happy Scale (as mentioned) will help you average out the numbers. It's the trend, not the day to day that's important.

Permanent weight loss isn't about the type of diet you choose for weight loss, it's about the permanent changes you are willing to adopt for a lifetime.
  • abirdintherain
    abirdintherain Posts: 73 Member
    When I was originally losing weight, I could weigh myself every day. I lost 130 pounds in about a year and a half, so it was coming off quickly and consistently, for the most part. I maintained that loss with about a 5-7 pound range for about a year and a half without tracking or counting, but ended up gaining a little back. Now that I'm trying to lose the 15-20 I gained, plus try to lose a little more past the point I was maintaining at previously, I can't weigh myself daily anymore. I have maybe 30-40 pounds total to lose, and the fluctuations are much crazier than when I had a lot to lose.

I went to weigh last night, and there was a 2 pound difference just switching from a shirt to a sports bra and doing a 15 minute workout. Weighed this morning, and it was down about 2.5 pounds, my 'true' loss, because that's when I normally weigh. After that weigh-in, the scale went away beside my dresser again for a while.

Weight on the scale is fickle, and I find it way more motivating to focus on how I feel and how my clothes feel. I got my size 13 jeans back on yesterday, albeit still slightly tight. I won't let the number on the scale at any point undermine that. It always is higher for me when I'm sore from exercise, or if I'm about to start my period, or if I've eaten a lot of fast food or processed food (and I won't lie, that's a lot of the time, haha!). There's so many variables that can play into the number on the scale. Measurements, progress pictures, and just the way you feel physically and mentally are much better ways to keep track.

It's not always going to be easy, it's not always going to be consistent. Have faith in yourself, love your body and treat it well, and stick to your plan. Don't beat yourself up. You'll get there! It won't happen overnight, just like gaining weight didn't happen overnight. There's some amazing tips and help and motivation here. And when you do reach your goals, don't forget the stuff you've learned along the way - keep those habits up and maintaining will be so much easier.
  • 3jux7hbjbmz1.jpg

found this on another post a while back and saved it because it's SOOOO spot on!
  • alexakimbro
    3jux7hbjbmz1.jpg

found this on another post a while back and saved it because it's SOOOO spot on!

Oh this is wonderful! Thank you so much!
  • Natosha08
    Natosha08 Posts: 3 Member
    So far calorie counting and upping my activity level above what I already do in a day has helped me. Granted, I've only been calorie counting for 55(+/-) days, but I've lost 24 lbs so far. I'm simply trying to eat healthier in general, but refuse to do anything that isn't realistic such as so called "diets." I just make better choices when it comes to food. Find something that is realistic for you, and keep with it for a few months and see how well it works for you. Good luck! :)
  • sgtx81
    sgtx81 Posts: 466 Member
    weight isn't just fat. your muscle, fat, water, etc can all fluctuate. Unless your weight locks up on your for like a couple weeks, just expect it to go up and down and keep on with healthy eating and exercise in a healthy caloric deficit and don't watch the scale so closely. It can be deceiving and zap your moral.