Omelettes/Eggs - what do you fry them in?

Options
Hey guys - do you all use butter, oil, or spray to cook your eggs in? If butter or oil, do you measure it out? How much oil do you use? A tablespoon of butter is 100 calories...oil usually 120....so a lot of calories just in that alone!

For omelettes, do you fry up your veggies first in whatever your fat of choice & then just pour the egg in once they’re softened?

Replies

• concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    It depends: some days I take out the yolks and use oil spray (ie, Pam), other days I use a tsp of olive oil with both yolks.

Veggies also depends. What you describe works well with mushrooms, broccoli and other low sugar vegetables, but onions and peppers may cause eggs to stick if done in the same pan.

Whatever you choose, definitely measure your fats!
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    A couple seconds of Pam or an olive oil spray, so I'm usually only adding 20-30 calories to it
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    I don't use anything.
  • bpetrosky
    bpetrosky Posts: 3,911 Member
    Options
    If I'm making an omelette I cook the vegetables separately with some light oil to soften, then remove and cook the eggs with butter. I then add the veggies in when I fold the omelette.

Adding the eggs into the veggies and cooking together is tasty, but not an omelette.
  • ChrisBain18
    ChrisBain18 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I use just enough butter to coat the pan for both the eggs and the veggies. Nothing more.
  • OldHobo
    OldHobo Posts: 647 Member
    Options
    keto1777 wrote: »
    Hey guys - do you all use butter, oil, or spray to cook your eggs in? If butter or oil, do you measure it out? How much oil do you use? A tablespoon of butter is 100 calories...oil usually 120....so a lot of calories just in that alone!

For omelettes, do you fry up your veggies first in whatever your fat of choice & then just pour the egg in once they’re softened?

I only keep extra virgin olive oil and peanut oil on hand. Peanut oil is for deep frying. Everything else is done in EVOO. Not the $25 a bottle stuff; usually $8.99 per liter. I use well-seasoned cast iron for fried eggs. Six-inch skillet for one egg; eight-inch for two. It takes one or two grams of oil for one or two eggs sunny side up. Add oil to hot skillet on the scale, return to heat, add eggs and salt, cover - with a glass lid so I can watch it. Done in a couple minutes but it is a brief window between undercooked and overcooked. I want the whites set and the yolk very hot; liquid but just barely so.

Omelettes: of course sauté vegetables first but remove from pan. Add fat to a hot pan, add eggs stirring the top while the bottom cooks and browns slightly when the eggs on top have turned to "large curds" lay the filling atop 1/3 of the eggs, fold the rest of the eggs over the veggies.
    Or else just pour the egg over the sautéed vegetables and stir 'til slightly undercooked. They finish cooking while you're moving to the plate.
    Or the other else: pour the eggs mixed with a little milk over the sautéed vegetables and finish cooking the omelet frittata under a broiler for a couple minutes. If you're cooking for one you can do this with a 6" cast iron skillet and a toaster oven.

Notes:
    1. If your vegetables include things like onions or mushrooms make sure all water exuded by the vegetables is evaporated before adding eggs. While there is water in the pan everything cools to 212ºF and eggs boil instead of sautéing.
    2. You may or may not need more oil before adding eggs to vegetable sauté pan. Cook's call in the moment.
    3. This just what I do. No implied suggestion anybody else ought to do it this way.
  • ZoneFive
    ZoneFive Posts: 570 Member
    Options

For omelettes, do you fry up your veggies first in whatever your fat of choice & then just pour the Sautegg in once they’re softened?

Butter. About 10-12g. Saute the veggies/ham (onion, spinach & diced ham FTW!), and pour the eggs over. A gourmet dish called "Scrambled Eggs and Stuff". A little sriracha and I'm good to go.
  • TonyB0588
    TonyB0588 Posts: 9,520 Member
    Options

I use butter (or margarine). Never thought of adding the extra calories for that,that, so will need to review.

On the rare occasion I do an omelette, I mix everything together before cooking.
  • TonyB0588
    TonyB0588 Posts: 9,520 Member
    Options
    @kimny72 Thanks for the guidance. Didn't know you shouldn't use cooking spray on non-stick pans. I personally don't use it, but everyone else in our house does.
  • saragd012
    saragd012 Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    I don't usually have to use anything with my ceramic pans, but I may use a very small amount of butter if I'm making an omelet. My favorite way to make eggs is poached/fried in a cups worth of sauce/salsa. Sauté some vegetables in the pan first with a bit of water to keep them from sticking as necessary, then add marinara or salsa with 1/2 cup beans, bring to a simmer and then drop your eggs on top. I like to flip mine halfway to get the yolks semi-set, it's one of my absolute favorite meals.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    I have a non stick pan that doesn't need oil for cooking.

I fry off the veg /bacon first, add the eggy mix and the cheese goes in last - pop under a grill for a min to brown :smile:
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    It takes very little oil for eggs not to stick in a good non-stick pan. Some can even fry without oil but I fund the resulting eggs disappointing and rubbery. I usually use 5 grams of oil and it's enough to get the right texture and taste without overwhelming calories.
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    I zap the pan with a little bit of cooking spray. I tend not to log the little zap of oil, and it hasn't impacted my rate of loss, so I'm taking that as a win. If I heavily spray a pan, I'll add a .5 tsp of oil to the amt I include in my calories. I also find that it takes very little spray/oil to cook eggs.

When my daughter is home for college and makes me "Gordon Ramsay Eggs" that includes butter. Lots of butter. And I most definitely account for that.
  • acorsaut89
    acorsaut89 Posts: 1,147 Member
    Options
    I use a cooking spray - like PAM. Count to 3 while spraying across the pan. You can log this cooking spray, but it's very minimal so it totally makes sense to not log it.
  • Sunna_W
    Sunna_W Posts: 744 Member
    Options
    If I am having fried eggs I use enough of a combination of bacon grease / olive oil to "float the eggs" in the pan so they don't stick. I don't measure it because what I put in the pan is not what I am consuming, since most of the grease / oil stays in the pan. If I am making scrambled eggs, then, I put enough oil in the pan to get my paper towel wet and then I wipe it around the cast iron pan to coat it or I use refined coconut oil spray, that doesn't have a lot of coconut taste.

My favorite way to make eggs though is a frittata (rather than an omelette) - with a large thinly sliced potato and an onion spread on the bottom (I cook them first in the pan with 1 tbsp olive oil and enough water to simmer them in until they are done, with cover on) then I take the cover off to cook off most of the remaining water; I add fresh spinach, 1/2 cup of cheese, sometimes pancetta, and cover with 8 eggs that have been blended and top with salt and pepper. I cook covered on low heat until the eggs are set, then, I run it under the broiler (still with the lid on) until the top is set.

It makes 4 generous servings that are filling and taste great cold, with the added value of giving me some resistant starch.