I'm finally bouncing back

A few years ago I lost around 100lbs, and managed to maintain for about a year but since then I've been gaining back. My weight has gone from 320lbs > 204lbs > 255lbs > 243lbs (current). I made a post last year talking about my depression and how it was a big factor in my weight gain as I comfort ate a lot, I'm happy to say I took the advice from a few of you and got help, I'm now being treated for clinical depression and social anxiety and the meds really help take the edge off. This allowed me to get back on the weight loss horse and I'm now coming up to my first 14lbs milestone, in total I want to lose 42lbs so I'm nearly a 3rd of the way done. It's a daily struggle but it feels good doing it again, but that doesn't mean I couldn't down a full pack of shortbread right now :D

Replies

• lois1231
    lois1231 Posts: 331 Member
    Congratulations. That is amazing. You are doing great. I understand this. I also have major depression and anxiety and have been on meds for years. Moving and getting more sun has helped also. Awesome job.
  • goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    Great job all around. Hope things continue to work out for you.
  • macgurlnet
    macgurlnet Posts: 1,946 Member
    This is so great to hear! I'm glad you've got some new tools to help you on your journey. Keep on trucking!

~Lyssa
  • whisker1984
    whisker1984 Posts: 26 Member
    I started Zoloft a few months ago after many years of mild, functional depression. I hesitated to ever seek help, because I could still get out of bed and excel in my career, even as other aspects of my life suffered. I saw a new GP who listened to me lament about my weight loss efforts. I can get myself to the gym but controlling my eating has been a huge struggle. He asked me to try meds, and I agreed only on the condition that I could do so temporarily.

I've been ASTONISHED at the difference the antidepressant has made in my ability to follow a plan and avoid emotional eating. Emotional eating binges that felt impossible to control are suddenly uninteresting. Staying in my calorie limit has been no big deal. Shutting down the negative thoughts about failure has been relatively easy. Fast food is suddenly less desirable than making something better at home. I don't know what I was afraid of about addressing my mental health.

If you've struggled with your weight for many years, please consider whether some of your signs also fit with depression (most of us who are obese do struggle with this as well). It can absolutely be worth seeking real treatment!
  • SteveMFP123
    SteveMFP123 Posts: 298 Member
    edited February 2018
    I started Zoloft a few months ago after many years of mild, functional depression. I hesitated to ever seek help, because I could still get out of bed and excel in my career, even as other aspects of my life suffered. I saw a new GP who listened to me lament about my weight loss efforts. I can get myself to the gym but controlling my eating has been a huge struggle. He asked me to try meds, and I agreed only on the condition that I could do so temporarily.

I've been ASTONISHED at the difference the antidepressant has made in my ability to follow a plan and avoid emotional eating. Emotional eating binges that felt impossible to control are suddenly uninteresting. Staying in my calorie limit has been no big deal. Shutting down the negative thoughts about failure has been relatively easy. Fast food is suddenly less desirable than making something better at home. I don't know what I was afraid of about addressing my mental health.

If you've struggled with your weight for many years, please consider whether some of your signs also fit with depression (most of us who are obese do struggle with this as well). It can absolutely be worth seeking real treatment!

I'm on 30mg of Citalopram and it has helped me immensely. I wish I had sought help sooner.

And thanks for the kind words, everyone.