Giving up chocolate for Lent

I am just wondering has anyone done this before and was it manageable.
I LOVE my chocolate in any form and I eat it everyday,several times a day.

What I don't love is that I often use lots of calories on it and still feel hungry and whenever I binge you can bet it's on lots of chocolate.

I just want to challenge myself and see if I can complete it and then have it as part of my intake few times a week not few times by 2 pm everyday.

I know you can have anything as long as you 're in deficit,theres no "bad foods",
I am not following any fad or extreme diets I just want to see if I can improve my diet and use my allowance for more filling and healthier things.

Replies

• MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Not sure what it has to do with Lent, but if you feel like experimenting I guess go for it?
  • passenger79
    passenger79 Posts: 257 Member
    Not sure what it has to do with Lent, but if you feel like experimenting I guess go for it?

Ash Wednesday to Easter Sunday people give up something like alcohol,sweets or whatever they want to cut down really as a challenge for 40 days .
    I 've never done it before but yes thinking about giving it a go.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,587 Member
    edited February 2018
    As you said there are people who cut out complete categories of foods. So I am sure that people CAN succeed.

In fact people can succeed both for a limited time and, frankly, even indefinitely, at an extremely wide range of behaviors.

The degree of effort you want to put into this and whether you want to do this in the context of a whim, a diet, a bet, a challenge, or religious observance... well, all that is up to you!

I can't really advise you whether this is a good idea for you, personally, given whatever history you have... 'cause I don't know that history! If you've had ED issues in the past, mixing in religious observance may or may not be a great idea and would be beyond my pay grade to comment on other than with trepidation!
  • firlena227
    firlena227 Posts: 86 Member
    I gave up chocolate for lent one year just because my sister bet me that I wouldn't be able to do it and I was determined to prove her wrong haha... don't think I had any weight loss though, as I probably fell into the trap of "oh i haven't had any chocolate so I'll eat this other fatty treat instead"!
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    edited February 2018
    i did it a few years ago...

i did the whole thing with the exception of one item of food - we had been given free hospitality at a potential wedding venue, and the dessert was chocolate, i wasn't going to miss that!!! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • KarenSmith2018
    KarenSmith2018 Posts: 302 Member
    I've done both chocolate and coffee, each on separate years. It is hard but worthwhile challenge. I personally am quite fond of challenges like this to learn and develop will power and the ability to say no. It helps tune into those thoughts and signals regarding desire and understanding how much i want something. Just make sure you don't replace that chocolate with something else like a biscuit or ice-cream etc. I found I was doing that. Nothing wrong with replacing it with a snack if you are genuinely hungry though. Enjoy it and feel proud for getting through the 40 days (its actually a bit longer because the 40 days doesn't include the Sundays of each week as this is a break from the traditional fasting periods that is observed during the period)
  • tartanhibee
    tartanhibee Posts: 63 Member
    I give up chocolate for lent every year the problem is I substitute with crisps.

I am motivated this year though as I have already started on the 1st February and have been doing well without crisp substitution so far.

Good luck you can do it. Think how good the Easter egg will taste.
  • parachute_hoot
    parachute_hoot Posts: 21 Member
    edited February 2018
    I did it about 3 years ago - gave up chocolate, sweets, cake, crisps. But I fell into the trap of substituting it as I must have been craving sugar or something bad, so I would have a can of Coke or allow myself to have takeout more often etc... I remember eating a lot of yogurts!

I was surprised I managed to achieve it tbh, as like yourself I have chocolate most days!

I was quite overweight then and quite inactive. Now I am slimmer and very active I don't think I would do it for weight loss purposes and I have proven to myself I can lose weight and still enjoy treats.

Also, St. Patrick's Day falls within Lent, which for some people in Ireland means they don't partake in Lent on that day. And I think I would find it hard now on those days where others indulge not to do the same. I know some of my young nieces and nephews give up crisps, sweets, etc for Lent but then on St. Patrick's Day 'have a day off'...! :smiley:
  • REBurwell82
    REBurwell82 Posts: 4 Member
    I’ve given up chocolate a few times for Lent!!! It’s definitely manageable!
  • bekahlou75
    bekahlou75 Posts: 304 Member
    I gave up chocolate one year for Lent. It wasn't too bad. I try to give up something different every year. This year, it's carbs. I've been having a hard time losing weight, even with staying under my calorie goal. Maybe with the combo of low/no carb and staying with my calorie goal it'll help.
  • amgreenwell
    amgreenwell Posts: 1,268 Member
    If it is something you love and want to eat all the time then giving it up for Lent is an actual sacrifice and you should do it. I tend to give up things I can't live without and the first few weeks are hard but after 40 days you hardly even realize you were so obsessed with them. Give it a try!
  • BoxerBrawler
    BoxerBrawler Posts: 2,032 Member
    As far as giving up something for Lent... as my nana used to say "It's not what goes in your mouth that counts... it's what comes out!" Of course it sounded a lot better in Sicilian :smile:
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    I don't observe Lent. This thread has made me think about foods or drinks I have moved to having less of and how that happened.
    Pop- about 19 years ago I decided caffiene wasn't good for my body so stopped drinking things like pop. I didn't have a huge habit. I started drinking more water and iced tea. Occasionally I would have some again and really didn't like it anymore.
    Cheese- I love cheese. I will never give it up totally but moved to eating much less thanks to calorie counting. I want to lose weight more than I want to eat a block of cheese. I think I realized that smaller amounts here and there were okay.
    Popcorn- I don't have it every day anymore. I cut down the amount and then the frequency. I went from daily consumption to sometimes going a couple of weeks without having any.
    Crackers- decided they were not worth the calories ultimately and went from eating a lot to almost never. I just don't buy them any more.

When I was younger I had friends give up things for Lent. It seemed they spent everyday gritting their teeth or moaning about how they couldn't have the thing and then went right back to their normal consumption level. Maybe if you want to move to moderation of chocolate after spend this time trying different tasty low calorie snacks and don't dwell on missing the chocolate every day.
  • maura_tasi
    maura_tasi Posts: 196 Member
    I did a few years back and was successful. Chocolate was (is) one of my weaknesses so I think it was good to give up for Lent. I believe that if you're going I give up or do something for lent it should be something that would be a bit of a challenge for you! Otherwise it would be too easy. I say go for it. I felt really good about myself at the end of the season and really accomplished that I was able to go the whole time without chocolate! It seems like such a small thing i give up but if it's something you love I definitely say give it a try!