Giving up chocolate for Lent

2»

Replies

• SpanishFusion
    SpanishFusion Posts: 261 Member
    Some practice fasting on Ash Wednesday and Good Friday's only here. I simply cannot do that. :/ I usually go without meat on those days and all the Fridays in between. When I was young the Knights of Columbus would always do Friday Night Fish-fries Friday during Lent. I've not heard of the no-oil, but it's neat to hear what others across the world do. I wish you much success in your Lenten Journey. :)
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Leeg5656 wrote: »
    Some practice fasting on Ash Wednesday and Good Friday's only here. I simply cannot do that. :/ I usually go without meat on those days and all the Fridays in between. When I was young the Knights of Columbus would always do Friday Night Fish-fries Friday during Lent. I've not heard of the no-oil, but it's neat to hear what others across the world do. I wish you much success in your Lenten Journey. :)

Catholic fasts are super wimpy these days -- Ash Wednesday and Good Friday (although the requirements for those are lenient), and no meat (but fish is fine) on Fridays (and it's not supposed to be fancy fish, the idea is to eat in a less expensive, simpler way, which is not really consistent with the fact that fish in the US is often more expensive than other meat). And then the encouragement to give up something (or give up/and add, which I like).

Beyond that, it's of course not mostly about food, but the three pillars: prayer, fasting, and almsgiving.

And of course the idea is not to make a big thing out of the sacrifice, although I always am interested in talking to others about what they are doing and so on, if they want to talk about it.

No oil is an Orthodox thing, I think -- my good friend is Greek and her family does (mostly, there are exception days) no oil, no animal products. She only does it during Holy Week and Fridays (it was her personal compromise, as she finds it very difficult), but still likes to point out how easy Catholics have it.
  • passenger79
    passenger79 Posts: 257 Member
    Leeg5656 wrote: »

Thank you!
  • passenger79

No oil is an Orthodox thing, I think -- my good friend is Greek and her family does (mostly, there are exception days) no oil, no animal products. She only does it during Holy Week and Fridays (it was her personal compromise, as she finds it very difficult), but still likes to point out how easy Catholics have it.[/quote]

Yes you are right there , I am ortodox Christian from Serbia originally ☺ As kids we would fast on Fridays,my Mum would always fast for a week but she has done the whole 40 days one time and it did not look easy. There's only so much you can eat that's water based
  • DebLaBounty
    DebLaBounty Posts: 1,172 Member
    I've given up chocolate before. Then when I re-introduced chocolate, I found I didn't crave it as often so that was a nice little bonus! Have you discovered Ritter brand mini chocolates? They're a nice little serving, come in lots of varieties, and come in at just under 60 calories. I no longer need large servings to satisfy my sweet tooth. I like the discipline I developed when I eliminated chocolate and candy for awhile.
  • passenger79
    I've given up chocolate before. Then when I re-introduced chocolate, I found I didn't crave it as often so that was a nice little bonus! Have you discovered Ritter brand mini chocolates? They're a nice little serving, come in lots of varieties, and come in at just under 60 calories. I no longer need large servings to satisfy my sweet tooth. I like the discipline I developed when I eliminated chocolate and candy for awhile.

Thank you ! No I haven't tried them before,I'm in UK so will see if available here.
    That's what I hope to do,develop more discipline and look after myself a bit better .
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Chocolate has never been a big thing for me. I decided 3 20 oz Diet Pepsis at work was too much, gave it up for Lent. Now only occasionally drink it with a meal out

Best of luck.
  • ladyhusker39
    ladyhusker39 Posts: 1,406 Member
    I think the additional religious commitment could be helpful in giving you even more reason to stick with it. I don't see any particular downside.
  • JustinHeasman
    JustinHeasman Posts: 5 Member
    We always give something up for lent in our household. This year I'm going for "Treats" :neutral: Going to miss those things. Good luck.
  • me0231
    me0231 Posts: 218 Member
    edited February 2018
    Personally, I think if you want to do it for religious reasons go for it, but if it's more about health/calorie reasons I wouldn't do it. Being in a deficit is hard enough (also depends on how long you've been at it), willpower is a finite resource so why stress yourself out more. If you simply feel that you have too much chocolate, I'd work on a plan to reduce it. Maybe have it every other day or something like that and don't add any more stress onto your life. YMMV
  • MamaMc3
    MamaMc3 Posts: 213 Member
    I have not given up chocolate, but I did give up my beloved Pepsi (all soda actually) last fall. I still miss it, but it's a trigger food for me. When I have one, I want one more . . . and then I want chips, sweets, etc. to go with it. You can definitely give up chocolate if you want to badly enough, but it will be a challenge. My suggestion is to find other snacks you enjoy to take it's place - maybe fruit, a handful of almonds, or sugar free pudding? That way you don't feel super deprived! Good luck to you!
  • h1udd
    h1udd Posts: 623 Member
    Lent is meant to be a spiritual exercise, not a self-improvement course or a diet aid.

Easter is meant to be spiritual .. but a magical bunny hides chocolate for children in the garden

Christmas is meant to be spiritual .. but magical reindeer fly a man, that, lets face it, isnt logging his calories ! to give children presents whilst the rest of the world celebrate mass consumerism

shrove tuesday .... spiritual or pancake day ??

It would seem that for the majority of people, spiritual/religious events have become more of a social occasion than a religious one and taking lent for example, people use the motivation and dedication of others to better themselves by trying to cut out a vice that they feel is holding them back