New! Quit smoking & Started running!

Options
Hey there! I have been smoking almost a pack a day of cigarettes for the past 3 years or so. And one week ago I quit and haven’t smoked one since! I had bad cravings so I decide to “run” them away...quite literally! I have been running everyday since. I’m not in bad shape compared to what I was about 4 years but I’m afraid of gaining weight from quitting. I am hoping to lose fat and gain lean muscle with some weight lifting as well! Anyone else quit smoking and decided on the path of a healthy lifestyle?

Replies

• Betty
    Betty Posts: 8,817 MFP Staff
    Options
    Welcome to MyFitnessPal!
  • desyhollander1
    desyhollander1 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hey there! Great job quitting smoking, how are you feeling now? I also really want to quit, but also afraid of weight gain. Have you experienced any weight gain whatsoever? And how are you doing on the running? It must be going sooo much better now!
  • drealuvvsyhu
    drealuvvsyhu Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I just smoked my last one today (hopefully...fingers crossed) congrats on your change..the weight gain is a downer but the health benefits are worth so much more. I decided to kick the habit after hyperventilating after running 5 minutes on the treadmill...yikes!!
  • lessjl
    lessjl Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    weight gain is not a forgone conclusion, so best of luck!! yesterday was my 20 year anniv from quitting:). I did gain a little bit back then, but lost it quickly. starting to exercise is a great idea! best of luck!!
  • NikolaosKey
    NikolaosKey Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    Welcome. 3 months out. I quited for almost 2 years but last summer I was weak and started to smoke again. 2nd attempt since November is going great! Hang in there!!
  • Justn83
    Justn83 Posts: 5,226 Member
    Options
    Hey there! Best of luck ☺️
  • aeloine
    aeloine Posts: 2,163 Member
    Options
    6 day 11 hr 20 min since my last one.
    Up 5 pounds in 4 days. But that was a plan.

Cravings are supposed to be worst for the first 3-5 days, so I told myself I could have anything I wanted BESIDES nicotine. So overate like no other, tons of sodium, but zero cigarettes. Back on track now, still over 40 lbs down, and I have a feeling that going to the gym is going to be a heck of a lot easier today than it was last Monday.
  • Joanna2012B
    Joanna2012B Posts: 1,448 Member
    Options
    Congrats on quitting!! That's a tough thing to do. I quit 6 years ago. I didn't start my healthy lifestyle until 2 years into my quit. I am now running Half Marathons and absolutely loving life!!!

You have a week down...so don't look back!! :)
  • sendtoharvey
    sendtoharvey Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    hurray for quitting smoking! good luck. with the workouts
  • heathcash1252
    heathcash1252 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I’m going to attempt to quit dipping! I feel like if I’m going to try and lose weight and get in good shape I don’t need it in my life. Congrats on quitting!