Vegan Members

Options
ASub0621
ASub0621 Posts: 2 Member
edited February 2018 in Food and Nutrition
Hi all. Vegan members please share some tips for overall health and weight loss.

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    1. Make sure you're meeting your nutritional needs. These needs are the same for vegans as they are for non-vegans, but depending on individual choices we may need to pay more attention to protein, iron, vitamin D, or other things. I recommend "Vegan for Life" by Jack Norris and Virginia Messina as a good primer for basic vegan nutrition. One thing every vegan needs to consider is B12. It isn't found in any plant foods so you'll need to either supplement or ensure you're eating food that is fortified with it.

2. For weight loss, you need to consume fewer calories than your body is using. If you aren't already used to eating at a deficit, MFP can help you get set up with calorie goals.
  • lisasays
    lisasays Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Eat whole foods and dont rely too much on faux "meat" which can be high in fat and sodium. Take B-12 supplements. Check out ohsheglows.com for really yummy recipes.
  • thiswillhappen
    thiswillhappen Posts: 634 Member
    Options
    What vegan protein powder has the best flavour and texture in your opinion? I've been using Vega protein powder (chocolate and vanilla, also tried natural flavour recently but I do not like it), and I am getting sick of the chalky consistency. Ideally your smoothie should taste like a yummy milkshake!
  • szkasha
    szkasha Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    What vegan protein powder has the best flavour and texture in your opinion? I've been using Vega protein powder (chocolate and vanilla, also tried natural flavour recently but I do not like it), and I am getting sick of the chalky consistency. Ideally your smoothie should taste like a yummy milkshake!

I HATE vega protein powder. I can't stand it. Try Orgain Creamy Chocolate Fudge protein powder. It's really smooth and not chalky at all.
  • CindyMarie85
    CindyMarie85 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I have been looking for one, and the Minimalist Baker had some recommendations, so I decided I would give her number one a try, Bob's Red Mill Vanilla Protein Powder Nutritional Booster. Just got it yesterday so no idea what I am in for. I am actually trying to find a good recipe to use it in. Low calorie if possible. Oh and here is the link for the protein powder reviews: https://minimalistbaker.com/vegan-vanilla-protein-powder-review/
  • CindyMarie85
    CindyMarie85 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Just made a smoothie with the Bob's Red Mill Vanilla Protein Powder Nutritional Booster (which was 19.99 for 16oz) and it was a little grainy, not too bad, and the taste was okay. I used frozen kiwi and banana, next time I am using something that goes better with vanilla. I think I could get used to drinking one of these daily though.
  • Alex
    Alex Posts: 10,145 MFP Staff
    edited February 2018
    Options
    I have cleaned this discussion up a bit to keep it on track. As has already been demonstrated by several helpful members here, its fine to participate respectfully and on point in this discussion if you aren't yourself vegan. This means you have useful information to the OP or others who have chosen to eat vegan and can respectfully participate in that conversation. If you want to debate or disagree with the decision to be vegan, do that in the debate section or not at all please.