Fact or myth: lose weight by consuming less calories than you burn?

Options

Replies

• BoxerBrawler
    BoxerBrawler Posts: 2,032 Member
    Options
    Fact!
    And here's a little something I found and thought was great... Fitness Myths Debunked (Nutrition for body comp) 1. Sugar is not inherently fattening; only a calorie surplus will lead to weight gain.
    2. Dietary fat is not inherently fattening; only a calorie surplus will lead to weight gain.
    3. Breakfast is not necessarily the most important meal of the day; your total calorie intake matters most.
    4. Consuming small and frequent meals throughout the day does not stoke a metabolic fire; your total caloric intake is what matters most.
    5. Carbs after 6pm do not automatically get converted to body fat; your total daily caloric intake is what determines body fat. and
    6. Fat loss supplements are not the answer; you still need a proper diet with a calorie deficit and sufficient nutrients.
  • 1houndgal
    1houndgal Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    I guarantee that you can eat all you want and lose weight by following the "instrument excercise program", where you pull or push a nine foot Steinway grand piano at least a mile a day.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    That's pretty much what MFP is about.

Can't tell if OP is serious or not...
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    Depends. Samoas or Thin Mints?
    Gotta be Thin Mints, since "thin" is right there in the name; whereas everyone is aware of the culturally insensitive stereotype that people from the South Pacific islands become obese if they consume sugar, so Samoas clearly aren't a diet food (despite the coconut). Simple logic.

One of my favorite things I learned from my trip to Hawaii: "Polynesians don't eat until we're full. We eat until we're sleepy." - The MC of our luau
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Example: Could I lose weight by eating only Girl Scout cookies as long as I stay under my calorie limit for the day? (Not going to try it, but curious if this theory is fact or myth).

Weight management is about energy (calorie) balance. Yes, you'd lose weight eating only girl scout cookies in a calorie deficit...but you'd be sick as *kitten* and obviously unhealthy.

A calorie is a unit of energy. Your body requires so many units of energy to function and maintain the status quo. When you consume energy in excess of what the body needs, that excess energy is stored for later use as body fat...body fat is basically your back up generator. When you consume less energy than your body requires to function and maintain the status quo, your backup generator kicks on and you burn body fat to make up for the energy deficiency.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    Did you do the *love* @cwolfman13, or are the mods being all Valentine-y? :laugh:
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Did you do the *love* @cwolfman13, or are the mods being all Valentine-y? :laugh:

Lol...the mods are totally being Valentine-y
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    psuLemon wrote: »

We dont know what the *love* you are talking about :p

Awww. <3
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,960 Member
    Options
    Gotta be Thin Mints, since "thin" is right there in the name; whereas everyone is aware of the culturally insensitive stereotype that people from the South Pacific islands become obese if they consume sugar, so Samoas clearly aren't a diet food (despite the coconut). Simple logic.

No matter how many times I click where the Awesome button used to be, I don't get the result I expect.

• ZoneFive
    ZoneFive Posts: 570 Member
    Options

Author! Author!
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    psuLemon wrote: »

We dont know what the *love* you are talking about :p

Awww *kitten*
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,154 Member
    Options
    Example
    : Could I lose weight by eating only Girl Scout cookies as long as I stay under my calorie limit for the day? (Not going to try it, but curious if this theory is fact or myth).

Short term YEP - you can lose weight eating only thin mints - but you will lose muscle as well and that will lead to long term weight gain - your BMR is based on average muscle mass - without a standard BMR you will not have the same calorie burn - couple that will a complete lack of proper metabolic activities due to lack of quality nutrition and you WILL die on thin mint alone

I dunno, 2g protein in 160 calories (4 cookies), so I could lose weight on 40 of those daily, and get as much protein as I see some other people getting around here. Vegan, too, so "healthy" . . . if a little high in sat fat. Gonna take a long time to die eating them.

p2m9cwadl7hh.jpg

;););)
  • mike_bold
    mike_bold Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure about girl scout cookies, but definitely twinkie's ;)

http://edition.cnn.com/2010/HEALTH/11/08/twinkie.diet.professor/index.html
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    Might I recommend the "Search" option for the forums?
  • mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member
    Options
    I am so jazzed that they have gluten-free varieties now! And so thankful they generally don't have them available when I pass the girl scout cookie tables outside the grocery stores :)
  • Fitnessmom82
    Fitnessmom82 Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    Yes! It's all about math. I have some weeks where I am eating my allowed calories and it's all "healthy" foods. Other weeks I take in the same calories but more from "bad" foods. I still lose weight. I don't eat healthy foods for weight loss, I eat them for nutrition and because I genuinely enjoy them . Plus, as much as I'd like it, taking in all my calories from girl scout cookies would make me feel awful hehe!