Ladies.. Yasmin BC?

Options
My doctor switched my birth control pills today from Necon to Yasmin due to some PMS issues I am having. I am nervous to start a new BC for many reasons but weight gain is the one I’ll ask about here. Any experiences?

Replies

• AlainaKayy
    AlainaKayy Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    I have not tried Yasmin directly, but I have friends who have and they all hated it.

BUT!!! Every body is different and you may not have the same experiences. Try it out and see how it goes.
  • toxikon
    toxikon Posts: 2,384 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    I was on Yaz (is that the same as Yasmin?) for a few years. I didn't have any side effects, then again, no BC pills have ever given me noticeable side effects. I'm now on Alesse. I read some scary stuff about blood clots with Yaz so that's why I switched to Alesse.
  • DanniB423
    DanniB423 Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    toxikon wrote: »
    I was on Yaz (is that the same as Yasmin?) for a few years. I didn't have any side effects, then again, no BC pills have ever given me noticeable side effects. I'm now on Alesse. I read some scary stuff about blood clots with Yaz so that's why I switched to Alesse.
    Apparently they are similar but not the same. Yasmin has less hormones and is a normal 28 day pack, Yaz is 24. I am just reading all about it today. I am seeing blood clot warnings too but I see most brands have those warnings. Feeling a little freaked out. Lol
  • toxikon
    toxikon Posts: 2,384 Member
    Options
    DanniB423 wrote: »
    toxikon wrote: »
    Apparently they are similar but not the same. Yasmin has less hormones and is a normal 28 day pack, Yaz is 24. I am just reading all about it today. I am seeing blood clot warnings too but I see most brands have those warnings. Feeling a little freaked out. Lol

This is the article I read that freaked me out: http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/yaz-yasmin-birth-control-pills-suspected-in-23-deaths-1.1302473

Apparently Yaz/Yasmin uses a special kind of synthetic progestin that increases blood clot risk.

I can't find any other major articles aside from that one, so take it with a grain of salt.
  • MichelleSilverleaf
    MichelleSilverleaf Posts: 2,028 Member
    Options
    Have you chatted with your dr about your concerns? Did he/she talk to you about the why behind the switch?
  • DanniB423
    DanniB423 Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    Have you chatted with your dr about your concerns? Did he/she talk to you about the why behind the switch?

I have Premenstrual dysphoric disorder. Yaz and Yasmin are supposed to be the best for that due to the type of hormone. The one I was on wasn’t doing anything to help me control it. She saw my chart and symptoms and walked in saying “ Yasmin. Yasmin. Yasmin!” .... so she is pretty sold on it for me. But reading more and more I am not so sure for myself.
  • meganw2020
    meganw2020 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I was on Yasmin for years and it was great for me other then the diuretic that is in it to help with bloating ended up causing me gallbladder issues (this is a rare side effect). If you are already on BC I doubt switching to another would cause you any weight gain.

After I got off it I tried Orthotricyclin which was just awful for me, such bad cramps, really heavy bleeding and constant breast pain. I am now on Lo Loestrin fe which was been great for me. I personally don't respond well at all to birth controls with too much estrogen in them. I think the most important thing is to listen to your body and don't hesitate to contact your doctor and try something else if you are not feeling it.
  • MichelleSilverleaf
    MichelleSilverleaf Posts: 2,028 Member
    Options
    DanniB423 wrote: »

I have Premenstrual dysphoric disorder. Yaz and Yasmin are supposed to be the best for that due to the type of hormone. The one I was on wasn’t doing anything to help me control it. She saw my chart and symptoms and walked in saying “ Yasmin. Yasmin. Yasmin!” .... so she is pretty sold on it for me. But reading more and more I am not so sure for myself.

Yeah I hear ya, been that way myself about some meds. I would phone and share the concerns, maybe she can put it into better perspective for you.
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    I took Yaz for many years. I had no problems with it, but I wound up switching to an IUD for other medical reasons. BUT, if you don't feel comfortable taking that pill, then by all means call your doctor and tell her you are worried about it. Don't take a pill that you don't want to take.
  • camilledaisy
    camilledaisy Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I was on yasmine for two months, it had some yucky side effects but then all bc do not seem to agree with me. The worst part of it was feeling this crazy urge to eat all the time. I don't know if it was from yasmine or something else but that was the last bc I've taken and when I stopped that crazy need for food faded away. But One of my friends was on yazmine for years without any side effects, no weight gain and loved it. So, I guess it is really individual.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,442 Member
    Options
    I've been on it for .. probably 15 years now. I feel no different to not taking it but I do take it due to the blood clot risk: take it for a while and the risk goes down. I take it in long-term cycle. That means about 2-3 months, usually until I get a bit of spotting. Works for me. Plus: no more pain when having my menstruation. In my case it seemed to have helped, though it's possible that not having to go through this each month has made me more relaxed about it.
  • SmilingNerfherder
    Options
    I had no problems with weight when I was on Yaz, however, my sex drive nose-dived. I was also on it for PMDD, and instead of dealing with my high anxiety, crying, etc. I turned into a zombie. I've been on birth control pills for about 10+ years now, and that was the worst feeling. My doctor has me on a new thing now (my first month) and while the PMDD is back, I am able to cope with it when I compare how I felt on Yaz.

But everyone's bodies are different and you may react differently. If your PMDD is different it may be preferable for you to continue with Yasmin.
  • charlieandcarol
    charlieandcarol Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    I tried Yaz and Yasmin and both sent me mental with anxiety. I think they were sued in France after a girl committed suicide.
  • mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    Options
    I was on Yasmin for ~11 years and decided to go off of it because my blood pressure was creeping up. I lost weight successfully during the time that I was on it, and any weight gain was because I was overeating and under-exercising. As mentioned, the synthetic progesterone in Yasmin does serve as a diuretic--you may balance any minor weight gain associated with the hormones with a loss of water weight...
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Agree with all the above recommendations to further discuss it with your Dr.

I took yaz for a few years and had no issues.
  • gogetemrogue
    gogetemrogue Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I took Yasmine a while back until I realized it had killed my sex drive. As long as you stay in a caloric deficit you should lose weight regardless of what BC you use, but depending on what it does to your appetite that can become difficult.