Chinese food

Options
Help going for Chinese tonight , what dishes are fairly low in calories please , thank you

Replies

• LW3380
    LW3380 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    I normally stick to a Chicken chow mien or something similar...now I fancy a Chinese!
  • onematch
    onematch Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    Chicken with broccoli or Beef with broccoli.
    Also, hot and sour soup.
    Skip the rice.
  • mink73
    mink73 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thank you x
  • melissa6771
    melissa6771 Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    I always get plain rice and lobster sauce and An egg roll. 150 for lobster sauce, 190 for egg roll, 170 or so far rice. 510 all together for a good amount of food. Yum

Also, pork strips, chicken and pea pods, those are my other go tos
  • whodeany1
    whodeany1 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I looked up the menu and calorie chart on my favorite Chinese place and decided based on my personal preferences that Mongolian Beef with brown rice, a lunch portion was only 640 calories. I skip the egg rolls but had to get the won ton soup...I don't remember that number but it's a small cup where they drop a few things in water and sell it for way too much money, but the calories are low. Sometimes I noted that if they charged just for calories, that sometimes the price is higher for lower calories...but that is just an observation. If you eat with the chop sticks and throw the food 3 feet into the area and catch it in your mouth, you might be able to deduct the amount dropped on the floor and of course the exercise expended.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,977 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    LW3380 wrote: »
    I normally stick to a Chicken chow mien or something similar...now I fancy a Chinese!

Chow mein is NOT low cal in any form.

The oil and noodles alone send the cal count thru the roof.
  • toxikon
    toxikon Posts: 2,384 Member
    Options
    The main calorie bombs will be your fried rice and noodles. Anything fried, heavy in oil, or served in a sugary sauce.

Load up on steamed veggies if they have them. They should have some proteins that aren't drenched in sauce. Wonton soup is usually served in a clear broth, so that should be decent too.
  • DX2JX2
    DX2JX2 Posts: 1,921 Member
    Options
    Lots of chinese places offer plain steamed dishes with sauce on the side. If not, stick with the non-sweet stir fries and plain rice. Skip the fried rice/noodles and egg rolls to maximize volume.
  • 92joann
    92joann Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I had chinese food at the weekend and gained 6lbs of water from the sodium - so look out for that too! I felt 6 months pregnant, I peed out 4lbs yesterday according to the scale :o a shame salt and chilli chicken is so good haha
  • jessetfan
    jessetfan Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    I stick to small portions, yesterday I had hot & sour soup and beef teriyaki, today I had boneless spare ribs, wontons, and dumplings. I live alone, so I pick up enough to last several meals and portion out carefully.
  • LW3380
    Options
    sgt1372 wrote: »
    LW3380 wrote: »

Chow mein is NOT low cal in any form.

The oil and noodles alone send the cal count thru the roof.

oft! Unfortunately Chinese in the UK is different to the US, well the options certainly seem different. However last night I had a half portion of hot and spicy chicken chow mien and some din sum, weighed in this morning and no change so I'm happy with that.
  • Lean59man
    Lean59man Posts: 714 Member
    Options
    I like Chinese food and have it occasionally.

It is VERY high in salt/sodium content so I don't eat it too often.
  • FrancineJM61
    FrancineJM61 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I get the veg. elite all veggies, small white rice with grilled chicken. veggies zero, chicken zero cup rice 5 points.
  • FrancineJM61
    FrancineJM61 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    sorry wrong program that cal for WW. Put still I eat the veggies, chicken and white rice.
  • AMC110
    AMC110 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I'm having Chinese at the weekend. I'm thinking I'll have 200 g of pork fried rice, 1 piece of prawn toast, 2 crispy wontons and a chicken spring roll. I figure that will be my daily allowance of calories (will do a 'quick add' entry for 1200 cals) but if that's an underestimation I should hopefully still be under my maintenance level.
  • beerfoamy
    beerfoamy Posts: 1,521 Member
    Options
    92joann wrote: »
    I had chinese food at the weekend and gained 6lbs of water from the sodium - so look out for that too! I felt 6 months pregnant, I peed out 4lbs yesterday according to the scale :oa shame salt and chilli chicken is so good haha

I got a recipe to make this at home as it was so nice - now prefer it to take out as it doesn't cause the bloat

1tsp garlic salt
    1tsp normal salt
    1 tsp chilli powder - hot or mild depending on your preference
    300g breadcrumbs
    1 egg
    1 chicken breast

cut a chicken breast into strips, dip in egg then roll in the bread crumb/spic mix

(the breadcrumb mix can be played with to get spice mix right for your own tastes)

grill for around 10mins each side til chicken is cooked and yum!
    sometimes I fry some peppers and onions to go with it, or make egg fried rice with the egg left over from the dipping
    :)
  • eileenchristine
    eileenchristine Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    The question was LOW CARB. And yet most of these answers say rice and noodles? Low carb choices would be some soups, meat/tofu and veggies. No sweet dishes or rice or noodles.
  • LW3380
    Options
    The question was LOW CARB. And yet most of these answers say rice and noodles? Low carb choices would be some soups, meat/tofu and veggies. No sweet dishes or rice or noodles.

Which question was asking about low carb? To be fair if you want takeaway without rice or noodles Chinese isn't the best option is it really?
  • toxikon
    toxikon Posts: 2,384 Member
    Options

Huh? OP was asking for low-calorie options. And I don't see any comments suggesting she eat noodles. Are you in the right thread?