How to log workouts?

Options
Hello all. I’m just beginning to work out (for the like 4th or 5th time in my life lol) and I started following beginner YouTube workouts.

Problem is I don’t know how to log them very accurately? I don’t want to over estimate what I’m burning.. what do you do?

Replies

• huskydoo
    huskydoo Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    What kind of workouts? I have found that MFP exercise estimates are high by quite a bit. I normally cut the estimate to 50-60%. I don’t eat my calories back
  • amandaa7
    amandaa7 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    For example like the one I did today everything was made very basic. I did like “half crunches” so I didn’t pull up all the way, a plank on my knees instead of toes, and reverse crunches.

I like that tip, though! So if the app overestimates regular exercise, I think it’s safe for me to cut the basic stuff down to 25-30%. I’ll just work with the exercises on the list.. like “crunches for 3 minutes” instead of the 10 I did.
  • briscogun
    briscogun Posts: 1,135 Member
    Options
    MFP generally only generates calorie estimates for cardio activities only, correct? So if you do pull ups or sit ups or crunches it will log it but no calories are earned/burned for credit. I use the sister app UA Record to log my workouts and have it synced with the MFP app, that way I can get a better tracking for my efforts. Its a much better activity tracking tool. Generally, the app gives me less calories burned than the actual estimates from my treadmill and or workout videos that I do so I don't feel like I'm getting too much credit for what I've done. My treadmill might show 230 calories burned but the app will show half that so I feel good that I'm not over-estimating my activity.

The apps work well together (both from Under Armor) so you should be able to use them with ease. Good luck!
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    huskydoo wrote: »
    What kind of workouts? I have found that MFP exercise estimates are high by quite a bit. I normally cut the estimate to 50-60%. I don’t eat my calories back

Why cut the estimate if you aren't going to eat your calories back? That's how MFP is set up.

OP, I would log it as calisthenics.
  • huskydoo
    huskydoo Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    malibu927 wrote: »

Why cut the estimate if you aren't going to eat your calories back? That's how MFP is set up.

Because i like to be as accurate as possible.

And I know exactly how MFP works

• sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    malibu927 wrote: »

Because i like to be as accurate as possible.

And I know exactly how MFP works

Unless you actually know your calorie burn you are just making the estimate low, not accurate.
    I agree many estimates are high but yet to find one I believe to be double.
  • angelsja
    angelsja Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    I don't eat my calories back either I stick to 1600 or under daily with or without excersise