Started working out and lost less weight

Options
Hello. I was losing about 3 pounds a week with diet alone. Last week I started going to Orangetheory, and now I have been losing less weight. I don’t understand how that can be possible

Replies

• shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    Simple. Water Retention for muscle repair.

3 lbs per week is actually really fast. If you want mostly fat loss you shouldn't aim for more than 1% bodyweight loss per week.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    muscle can weigh more than fat. this tricks you into thinking you are either gaining weight or not losing as much weight, but really you are just building muscle.

You build very little muscle in a week, and it requires an optimal situation (calorie surplus, heavy lifting, adequate protein intake). It may be possible for someone new to lifting to gain, but we're still talking about 1/4 of a pound for a woman.
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,686 Member
    Options
    How long have you been losing weight that fast? If you're just starting out, the big weight loss may have been mostly water. Now that you are exercising, your body is retaining water to assist recovery. Don't worry about it.
  • aeloine
    aeloine Posts: 2,163 Member
    Options
    malibu927 wrote: »
    Your muscles are retaining water to repair. It's completely normal when you begin exercising. But unless you weigh over 300 pounds you shouldn't be seeing a 3 pound loss every week.

This^^
    muscle can weigh more than fat. this tricks you into thinking you are either gaining weight or not losing as much weight, but really you are just building muscle.

Not this^^

This^^ for emphasis.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    Remember that the best fat burn is doing aerobic exercise because it uses an oxidative pathway dealing with the conversion of fat through Krebs cycle to produce energy (or ATP) which produces muscle contraction. If your goal is to grow in size, and to look built, do a lot of strength training. If your goal is to lose weight, do a lot of aerobic training 5-6 times a week at about 30minutes - 1 hour. But the key to this, is you don't want to try harder than 60% of your maximum effort because then you are burning carbohydrates and we want to predominately burn fat. Send me a message if you have any questions.

Why would it matter if the exercise burns fat vs. carbs for weight loss? Burn the calories with either.
  • DevilsFan1
    DevilsFan1 Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    Remember that the best fat burn is doing aerobic exercise because it uses an oxidative pathway dealing with the conversion of fat through Krebs cycle to produce energy (or ATP) which produces muscle contraction. If your goal is to grow in size, and to look built, do a lot of strength training. If your goal is to lose weight, do a lot of aerobic training 5-6 times a week at about 30minutes - 1 hour. But the key to this, is you don't want to try harder than 60% of your maximum effort because then you are burning carbohydrates and we want to predominately burn fat. Send me a message if you have any questions.

Haha! What?
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options

um no fat is lost in a deficit. doesnt matter if you are doing aerobics, lifting weights,or not exercising at all. you dont need to do cardio to lose weight. and to grow in size requires a calorie surplus and lifting heavy which also will include fat gains as well. I lost weight while in a calorie deficit while lifting weights.I dont do a lot of cardio
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Why would you want to lose more than 3#/ wk? That’s an unhealthy rate of loss for nearly everyone. You should be eating back your exercise Cals to fuel the workout and keep the same deficit.
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    You've got some good advice here, and a fair amount of woo.

The best advice you have is that 1) 3 pounds per week is not a safe or sustainable pace of weight loss unless you are under a doctor's care, and 2) water retention is common at the beginning of a new exercise program.

Not mentioned so far is 3) weight loss does not happen at a consistent pace for every person during every week. One week, or even a few weeks with no weight loss, are normal.
  • mca90guitar
    mca90guitar Posts: 290 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    When I start working out alot I gain a few pound then start dropping. Body is going to hold water.