16th will be one month

Options
It's almost been one month and I've only lost 13lbs :-(
I know I should be happy that I lost 13 lb, cuz that's 13 less than what I was almost a month ago. But I can't help but feel disappointed and want to give up because I didn't hit the goal of at least 20 lbs lost in my first month. I know giving up isn't an option but it's just so hard! I wish work would be less stressful that way I could focus more and getting myself back to a healthy weight. Hopefully months to will have better results for me. Wish me luck!

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Only?
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    What, only? How much do you have to lose, that makes you feel you should have a goal way above MFP's max? Setting yourself up for unrealistic goals and undereating is why it's hard, and to do unhealthy things to get a healthy weight, sounds a bit absurd.
  • chad23jl
    chad23jl Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    That is just a little over 3lbs a week which is outstanding. I'm not sure how much you weighed to start with but expecting to lose 5lbs a week is very very difficult and will leave you struggling later as your body will start to hate you for it. What is your current caloric intake recommendation on MFP and what are you consuming? Remember that a healthy weight is subjective to a healthy lifestyle is what you need to strive for and a lifestyle change takes time. Great job so far thought, 13lbs is not something to be upset about. Now if you are trying to compete with those people from the biggest loser, then you can't. That is a game/reality show and their lose is not typical as they live on water and exercise 5 hrs a day.
  • amgreenwell
    amgreenwell Posts: 1,268 Member
    Options
    13 lbs in a month is like, incredible!! People can't lose that in 6 months sometimes. Give yourself some credit and realize this is a slow process. Don't get crazy about the scale b/c that can lead to some disorders that no one wants to face. Congratulate yourself!! Sometimes a lot of weight loss quickly is great, but once you start to slow in your loss don't get disappointed.
  • aeloine
    aeloine Posts: 2,163 Member
    Options
    1. Most of that first chunk was probably water weight. It WILL slow down going forward.

2. Shoot for this range [Depending on how much you have to lose]
    More than 75 lbs. 2 lbs./week
    40-75 lbs. 1.5 lbs./week
    10-40 lbs. 1 lb./week
    Less than 10 lbs. 0.5 lb./week

3. If you cannot realign your goals with what's reasonable and continue to feel this way, speak to a mental health professional. This kind of thought process can lead to self destructive behavior and physical illness.
  • katief2142
    katief2142 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I still have 80lbs to lose and the 13 lbs was a great start. Guess I just felt a Lil down about it. But I also know losing 2lbs a week is the healthy way. Thanks again :-)