Anyone else on here legitimately obese?

Options
Is anyone else using this that is legitimately obese and trying? Seems hard to find people to connect with that are in my game situation and trying to change. Good friends seem hard to come by as well.

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    What is legitimately obese? I had a BMI of 31 (=obese) when I started out to lose weight in 2013. Losing weight is really simple - eat less/move more - and quite easy is you just do that, not try. I had lost weight before, and regained. This time it stuck because I wanted to change my lifestyle, not just lose weight, and I found a lifestyle I could live happily with, instead of just blindly following a cookiecutter diet/exercise regimen.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,068 Member
    Options
    I don't understand the question - there are many people on MFP who are obese and trying to change ( as well as others that are overweight but not obese or who are now maintaining or some wanting to gain)

What do you mean by legitimate?
  • kayl33r
    kayl33r Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    If losing weight were easy like kommodevaran says, we’d all be thin. It’s not THAT EASY, and there are plenty of factors that prevent people from feeling motivated and losing weight. Don’t get discouraged by comments like that, eurotrashcc.
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,069 Member
    Options
    kayl33r wrote: »
    If losing weight were easy like kommodevaran says, we’d all be thin. It’s not THAT EASY, and there are plenty of factors that prevent people from feeling motivated and losing weight. Don’t get discouraged by comments like that, eurotrashcc.

I'd be more discouraged if people made it seem more complicated than it it. It's pretty straightforward to lose weight once you realise it's not as complicated as the media and dieting companys would have you believe.

OP I'd be willing to bet that the majority of those on the Diet board have been or are Obese at some point during their weight loss. I am still considered obese with a BMI of 33.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options

It IS simple and straightforward. That doesn't mean it's necessarily easy. It does take effort and perseverance. But I think that's what kommodevaran meant. That it's not some complicated mystery process. It's not random luck. There are no tricks to it. It's more a matter of just doing what you need to do and sticking with it.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    It's not that easy, that's right, but your attitude/comment is a good example of why it's harder than it has to be. I even volunteered what I had done to make it easier. Not feeling motivated? Why not just call it what it is, "can't be bothered".
  • ktekc
    ktekc Posts: 879 Member
    Options
    What I always see around here when people ask is that it's simple but it's not easy. And yes my bmi was around 45 when I started. Now hovering around 29..working on it.
  • mlauster
    mlauster Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I started at 316 lbs, I’m now 206, so I guess I’m “legitimately obese and trying”.
  • lois1231
    lois1231 Posts: 331 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    Yes I am obese. I started at 275 which is morbidly obese. My short term goal is to get down to overweight. I am currently at 257 pounds.