Exasperation with meal planning...can someone tell me how to fit 3 meals into 1200 calories?

Options

Replies

• Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    You can see pictures in various places on the internet what 100 calories of different foods look like. You are going to get more volume if you choose certain foods over others. http://www.sparkpeople.com/resource/nutrition_articles.asp?id=1987

You might find this thread helpful.
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10563959/volume-eaters-thread/p1
  • JMcGee2018
    JMcGee2018 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    I haven't been very good lately (friend visiting this weekend, V-day yesterday), but I typically don't have a problem sticking to 1200 during the week. I often skip breakfast in favor of IF or have a protein shake in the morning, have 3 hard boiled eggs with mustard for lunch, and then have the rest of my calories for dinner with maybe a little trail mix or yogurt as a snack. Drinking tea in the morning, as well as plenty of water and a protein rich lunch keeps me full until dinner rolls around.

On days I exercise, I eat back some or all of my exercise calories since 1200 is an aggressive goal. If you wanted to bulk up your lunch, you could throw in a salad with low calorie dressing, or just add in some veggies on the side like celery or green beans. 200-300 calories worth of eggs can easily be replaced by another protein source to keep that satiety up while adding more variety.
  • mscoutable
    mscoutable Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I would definitely take a look at what foods you are eating and what you can swap it out for. For example, if you are eating bread in every meal, this is probably taking up a lot of calories. Maybe change to eating bread for one meal a day and add more fruits/vegetables to your other meals. I honestly think just going through the process of figuring out how to alter your meals is the biggest benefit of myfitnesspal. You might not hit your 1200 cal goal all the time at first, but work on how you can bulk your meals up with lower calorie options (e.g. veggies) if you are still hungry.
  • kksmom1789
    kksmom1789 Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    I am a 5ft female with about 30lbs left to lose I have MFP set to 1lb per week weight loss and it gives me 1210 calories a day. I eat a protein bar in the morning that is about 200 calories then for lunch I try to stay around 300ish calories usually I make a sandwich, eat leftovers, or eat a Lean Cuisine. then I eat a snack mid afternoon I try to stay within 250ish calories. Then the rest is dinner I don't eat past 7-8pm because of my acid re flux. I also have a Fitbit so that gives me extra exercise calories but I never eat more then 50% of them and I really only dip into them if I feel super hungry other then that I just feel better eating less due to my acid re flux and my IBS.
  • jflongo
    jflongo Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    Here is another example. I just had two small fillets of Tilapia and a crapload of vegetables. The total was barely over 200 calories, and 31g protein, 5g fiber. It was very filling.
  • SteamPug
    SteamPug Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    1,200 for me is a 200 calorie yoghurt, 400 lunch (a sandwich maybe, or beans on toast) and then 600 for a heartier dinner, maybe pasta. I usually split the yoghurt and have half for breakfast and half before bed.
  • mom2wessarah
    mom2wessarah Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I didn't read all the posts, but if you Google meal planning, there are several sites out there where you can enter the number of calories and meals and poof, it pops out a meal plan. I am working on Keto. This means I'm not really eating carbs, which in many cases are high in calories. While strict keto people don't count calories, I do use the food diary. I go many days with right around 1200 calories and I'm not hungry.

I'm not a breakfast eater, or a snacker however. So I use all my calories in two meals. I think this helps too because it gives insulin levels time to dip down. Also remember, hunger is fleeting. If you feel hungry between meals, have something to drink or distract yourself for 20 minutes or so. You may find the hunger goes away.

As for my 1200 calorie day, I'll have an entire can of tuna or chicken with mayo, lettuce, celery and onion, plus 1/2 an avocado for lunch and I'm full until dinner. Very low in calories. Had that today for 330 calories. So, I've got 870 left for dinner. That's a lot of chicken, beef, pork or fish with veggies and a salad!

I'm no stranger to going out for lunch with coworkers or family. I just plan ahead and again, stay away from the high calorie carbs. I've had a burger w/o the bun and blue cheese with veggies (not fries) on the side. Very filling and not too many calories! Also remember healthy fats help keep you satisfied.

Plan ahead and make good choices! Good luck.
  • aliblain
    aliblain Posts: 175 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    ayv3o6ulx6ou.jpeg
    I don’t eat breakfast and have my first meal around 12.30-1pm. I’ll have something like a bowl of soup and fruit for lunch or some chicken breast with a big salad. For dinner I’ll have something like baked fish with veg and a small potion of bulgur wheat and quinoa. Boil in the bag fish is also really quick to do in the microwave.Tonight I had chicken stir fry with courgette noodles and full fat Greek yogurt for pud. Spiralised courgette and carrot are also good with meat bolognaise. Instead of eating a whole steak I’ll slice up half a steak and have it on a salads I know it’s not for everyone to miss breakfast but I don’t ever feel like breakfast and often don’t have time for it so I like to keep my calories for later. Here are some of the dinners I’ve been having. All around 400 calories.
  • sytchequeen
    sytchequeen Posts: 526 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    about 100g of a protein in a meal,

1g of protein is 4Kcal, so 100g of protein is 400Kcal.

Don't mix up macros with sources, perhaps you mean 100g of a lean protein source such as chicken (around 100Kcal).

1200 means a shift to vegetables if you want to feel full. 100g of
    Lettuce, cos or romaine is 17Kcal of
    rutabaga is 37Kcal,
    carrot is 41Kcal,
    potato is 76Kcal

You can eat quite a lot of greens and veg within a 400Kcal meal along with a smaller amount of an animal protein, feel full and get a decent quality of nutrition.

You misunderstand my post, I eat around 100g of “ A Protein “ (exactly as I worded it) , i.e. meat/fish/cheese etc, which does not itself contain 100g of protein. I am referring to portion size not protein content.
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    If you insist on 1200, Try a protein shake (100) for breakfast and a decent lunch (500) and dinner (500) with tons of vegetables. Then a piece of fruit for dessert (100). Walk for an hour and buy yourself another 250 or so
  • Sam29a
    Sam29a Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I'm currently at 1300 calories, my maintenance it just over 1400, so I don't have much choice but to eat 1300 if I want to lose weight. I did 1200 for around a year and I got used to it I guess.

At 1300, I don't have lunch. I have a small snack instead, usually a piece of fruit/some crackers/a rice cake/carrots and houmous. Then for dinner, I get to eat a bit more. I don't think 300 calorie meals are filling either.

My breakfast usually comes in around 300-350 cals, snack 100-200 cals, dinner 500-700 cals and then another small snack in the evening, of around 150-200 cals.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I like you!

You can eat what you like, just not as much as you used to. If you can measure out a shake you can measure out other foods.

Tofu is a good vegan source of protein.

My favourite tofu recipe; highly versatile.

https://pin.it/wmm4qzkrx47byh