The ‘mental’ side of healthy eating

Replies

• sammyj19902015
    sammyj19902015 Posts: 63 Member
    I put effort in, I cook fresh meals everyday I plan what I want to have most of the time but just have binge episodes that I can’t stop
  • STLBADGIRL
    STLBADGIRL Posts: 1,693 Member
    Also to add, I’m an all or nothing person so I struggle with the treating myself as I get hungry if I eat higher calorie meals so I either have to eat healthier or I binge because I’m starving. please give me some credit I’m not thick. So please don’t comment on here telling me to eat what I want but stay within my calories because for me it’s impossible!! Also those comments irritate me so if you don’t struggle with the angel and devil please don’t comment :# ...

Really? I don' t know why this comment pissed me off. I get annoyed at these type of post too, but was going to try an offer help. Like, it's impossible for you to stay within your calories because you have really trained yourself to believe it's impossible. Actually, that's ridiculous to state, when there is evidence that IT IS possible. How about changing your mindset for starters or how about not asking for help if you are going to do what you wanna do anyway. "Impossible" lmaoooooo. You can get a handle on this, but it is going to take education, discipline and commitment :wink:
  • sammyj19902015
    I’m not saying mfp doesn’t work, where do I actually say that?? I’m asking if anyone else struggles with mental sides of doing this. If you have nothing nice to say then don’t comment because over the last few weeks on here I’m having stupid comments on things im asking about. My mum always said if you don’t have anything nice to say then don’t say anything, shame a few people on here weren’t taught the same.
  • sammyj19902015
    And where as I said to eat what I want and stay within calories.. as I stated, please tell me how I can eat pizza, chips ect and stay within the calorie limit because that really is impossible :D
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    STLBADGIRL wrote: »
    Also to add, I’m an all or nothing person so I struggle with the treating myself as I get hungry if I eat higher calorie meals so I either have to eat healthier or I binge because I’m starving. please give me some credit I’m not thick. So please don’t comment on here telling me to eat what I want but stay within my calories because for me it’s impossible!! Also those comments irritate me so if you don’t struggle with the angel and devil please don’t comment :# ...

Like, it's impossible for you to stay within your calories because you have really trained yourself to believe it's impossible. Actually, that's ridiculous to state, when there is evidence that IT IS possible. How about changing your mindset for starters or how about not asking for help if you are going to do what you wanna do anyway. "Impossible" lmaoooooo.
    Well, that's not necessarily true, unless you know what the OP's calorie goal is. (I don't). She might have it set too low. When I try to lose weight, I have to go pretty low-calorie, and it would be impossible for me to stay there for an extended period of time, so I have lots of techniques I use to help. She might be choosing some foods that make it really difficult for her to hit her calorie goal. We just don't have enough information to say whether it's a matter of her mindset or if she could benefit from making some changes to her plan.

• usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    And where as I said to eat what I want and stay within calories.. as I stated, please tell me how I can eat pizza, chips ect and stay within the calorie limit because that really is impossible :D

Breakfast: 1 egg with 4 egg whites and toast
    Lunch: chicken and vegetables (maybe some rice too)
    Snack: fruit and oatmeal
    Dinner: One or two slices of pizza (depending on the pizza) and a salad with light dressing
  • sammyj19902015
    I’m not yelling at everyone, just people who have trolled my previous posts suggesting I’m an idiot so sorry if I came across that way to others it’s just a couple I’m frustrated with. I know how to do mfp it’s the bit inside me that urges me to eat crap that I just wondered if other people had the same that’s all
  • sammyj19902015
    AliceDark wrote: »

Like, it's impossible for you to stay within your calories because you have really trained yourself to believe it's impossible. Actually, that's ridiculous to state, when there is evidence that IT IS possible. How about changing your mindset for starters or how about not asking for help if you are going to do what you wanna do anyway. "Impossible" lmaoooooo.
    Well, that's not necessarily true, unless you know what the OP's calorie goal is. (I don't). She might have it set too low. When I try to lose weight, I have to go pretty low-calorie, and it would be impossible for me to stay there for an extended period of time, so I have lots of techniques I use to help. She might be choosing some foods that make it really difficult for her to hit her calorie goal. We just don't have enough information to say whether it's a matter of her mindset or if she could benefit from making some changes to her plan.

MFP set it all for me? I’m on 1200 a day

• AliceDark

As I said earlier, when I cut I have to go pretty low-calorie. But I'm also human, so I like pizza and chocolate, so I eat those things every week. Otherwise, I wouldn't be able to stay in my deficit. Here are some things I do:

1. I calorie-cycle, so I go lower than necessary on weekdays so I can go higher on weekends. (This might not be the best plan if you binge, though).
    2. I keep low-calorie desserts on hand. I like slow-churned ice cream because it's lower-calorie, although a lot of people like things like Halo Top. 100-calorie snack packs and pudding cups are great too. I don't keep full bars of chocolate around, but I do keep individually-wrapped pieces.
    3. I look for versions of meals I like that are lower calorie. The SkinnyTaste website is good for this. There's a chain called PizzaRev that just opened near my house that makes an individual pizza for about 500 calories, and so they get a lot of my money.

I think of dieting like budgeting: I can't necessarily buy EVERYTHING I want, but with some smart saving, I can pretty much buy anything I want. I can't eat pizza and chips and chocolate every day, but I eat some kind of dessert every day and I eat pizza nearly once a week.
  • usmcmp
    I’m not yelling at everyone, just people who have trolled my previous posts suggesting I’m an idiot so sorry if I came across that way to others it’s just a couple I’m frustrated with. I know how to do mfp it’s the bit inside me that urges me to eat crap that I just wondered if other people had the same that’s all

I was the same when I first started. Here's the steps I took to fix it:

1. Changed my calorie goal to lose 1 pound per week.
    2. Did exercise I enjoy that didn't make me hungrier.
    3. Ate protein with each meal and filled up on vegetables when possible.
    4. Planned a treat after dinner and right before bed (gave incentive to stay on track, but going to bed right after prevented me from eating more).
  • AliceDark

Is that to lose 2 pounds per week? You don't necessarily have to lose that quickly. I'm at 1300 calories right now and some days I want to eat my houseplants. Wouldn't it be a better idea to lose a little more slowly and not make yourself miserable?
  • usmcmp

As I said earlier, when I cut I have to go pretty low-calorie. But I'm also human, so I like pizza and chocolate, so I eat those things every week. Otherwise, I wouldn't be able to stay in my deficit. Here are some things I do:

1. I calorie-cycle, so I go lower than necessary on weekdays so I can go higher on weekends. (This might not be the best plan if you binge, though).
    2. I keep low-calorie desserts on hand. I like slow-churned ice cream because it's lower-calorie, although a lot of people like things like Halo Top. 100-calorie snack packs and pudding cups are great too. I don't keep full bars of chocolate around, but I do keep individually-wrapped pieces.
    3. I look for versions of meals I like that are lower calorie. The SkinnyTaste website is good for this. There's a chain called PizzaRev that just opened near my house that makes an individual pizza for about 500 calories, and so they get a lot of my money.

I think of dieting like budgeting: I can't necessarily buy EVERYTHING I want, but with some smart saving, I can pretty much buy anything I want. I can't eat pizza and chips and chocolate every day, but I eat some kind of dessert every day and I eat pizza nearly once a week.

<--Pizza Fridays here. Except this week we are doing wings.
  • sammyj19902015
    TBH I never thought of it that way, I’ll try and up it and see if it suits better, thank you
  • Go_Deskercise
    Go_Deskercise Posts: 1,630 Member
    usmcmp wrote: »

<--Pizza Fridays here. Except this week we are doing wings.

______________________________________________________________________________

<-- Pizza Mondays! I feel in good company in this thread :)
  • breathebelievejen
    breathebelievejen Posts: 83 Member

I can relate to this.. I see it as a form of self-sabotage and usually need to ask myself some questions about my motivation to lose weight or to eat a certain way. Am I making this change for me or because I think I should to be more attractive to others etc? Is this really a goal that I, personally, want to pursue? What is being fat affording me? Do I feel safer? That I can avoid intimate relationships with others or put off other life goals?
    Maybe reflect on what thoughts and feelings you're having just before and when the 'little devil' comes out to play. Sometimes I over indulged on foods because it was an instant, easy and cheap way to 'treat' myself and I didn't have healthy ways to practice like having a long hot salt bath or buying a new nail varnish or rubbing my feet with my favourite scented moisturiser. As I've gotten better at including these self-care activities that now feel like genuine treats and that I look forward to, the need to binge has reduced.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member

I would gnaw my own arm off at 1200 calories even without binge eating problems. It's probably worth looking into whether or not you can raise that.
  • sammyj19902015
    Haha I’ve edited it and have 1700 maybe we will have some success now... thanks guys x
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    spoiler alert, you don't need to eat 'healthy' to lose weight...

eat what you like, just less of it.

then work on making healthier choices, more fruit and veg and working out what works for satiety.

diets don't work, lifestyle changes do.

Why was this flagged?

OP didn't like it...
  • STLBADGIRL
    STLBADGIRL Posts: 1,693 Member

My point is, it's not impossible. As you suggested, maybe she needs to tweak her calorie goals or other goals/mindset. But to lose weight for a seemingly healthy person is not impossible. Sometimes you have to figure it out through trial and error for me. It just came off kind of rude when posters were trying to offer advice to OP.