Keto macros

I’m having a hard time understanding the macros for weight loss on a keto diet. I’ve seen sites saying to use 75,20,5 for macros. Then I see some that say to use a calorie deficit and give me strange macros totaling over 100% for all put together. Just confused about how to properly do this diet. Any insight would be appreciated!

Replies

• malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,562 Member
    For weight loss you just need a calorie deficit. For keto, you do have to adhere to certain numbers. If you join the Low Carbers Daily group they’ll be able to help you out more.
  • bderby17
    bderby17 Posts: 3 Member
    I do 65% calories from fat, 25% calories from protein and 10% calories from carbohydrates (65/25/10). My total calories at the start of the day is 1629. Everyone is different. Higher fat % is traditional keto. Let MFP be your friend. Set up your profile with your weight loss goals and be accurate entering meals into your food diary. My goal of 1629 calories is based on how I entered my personal information into my profile for a weight loss goal of 2 lbs per week. In addition to that I have it synced with my Fitbit. If I move more on any given day, MFP will show me how many additional calories I can eat and still lose weight. I still need to watch the Keto macro and keep it at 65/25/10 throughout the day. Does that make sense? I've lost 42 lbs in 4 months so I am doing something right. Good luck!
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Keto usually has carbs under 20-50g but some can go higher. Carbs end up being around 5-15%. Protein is usually moderate and between 20-35%. Fat fills in the rest.