Please Critique Diary

Options

Replies

• newheavensearth
    newheavensearth Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    Have you tracked your data to your Fitbit before so that you know that it's accurate for you? While some are quick to say Fitbits are inaccurate, they're usually pretty spot on for most people who've calibrated them, however some people are outliers and they can observe this by comparing real world results to what Fitbit would suggest.

Yes I have. I get pretty consistent burns.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,866 Member
    Options
    On fibro flare/ low energy days I tend toward 1400

Medications? How low (step-wise) are low days?

I noticed a few months back that I was not seeing (slow) results at numbers that I knew ought to be giving me results. I simultaneously noticed that a lot of my steps were from taking the dog out and meandering around aimlessly while texting vs my previous deliberate walking for exercise. Intentionally adjusting the intensity changed the results.
  • newheavensearth
    Options
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    Okay I just tried to look at your diary but it came back as set to private.

What sort of exercise are we talking and is this included in your 15 to 20 K steps?

Have you kept the level of activity and type of exercise constant throughout?
    I fixed that.
    Exercise is usually jogging/walking incline intervals on treadmill for 4- 5 miles or 1 hr step aerobics. Sometimes 1 hr sports drills, Spinningn or kickboxing dvd. Intensity feels like it might be getting easier, so sometimes I use weighted gloves and I'm considering a weight vest. But I do walk every day.

Weight training with machine or free weights 45 min to an hr 3 or 4 times per week. Not measured with Fitbit.
  • newheavensearth
    Options
    On fibro flare/ low energy days I tend toward 1400

Medications? How low (step-wise) are low days?

I noticed a few months back that I was not seeing (slow) results at numbers that I knew ought to be giving me results. I simultaneously noticed that a lot of my steps were from taking the dog out and meandering around aimlessly while texting vs my previous deliberate walking for exercise. Intentionally adjusting the intensity changed the results.

A low day is 7000. I've been taking Topamax for years. No effect on weight. I gain on it too.
  • PAV8888
    Options

What sort of exercise are we talking and is this included in your 15 to 20 K steps?

I fixed that.
    Exercise is usually jogging/walking incline intervals on treadmill for 4- 5 miles or 1 hr step aerobics. Sometimes 1 hr sports drills, Spinningn or kickboxing dvd. Intensity feels like it might be getting easier, so sometimes I use weighted gloves and I'm considering a weight vest. But I do walk every day.

Weight training with machine or free weights 45 min to an hr 3 or 4 times per week. Not measured with Fitbit.

If your caloric intake levels are accurate (weighted, everything counted, bites/condiments/coffee accounted for) I am a little bit baffled.

I would consider changing "random" weight training to structured planned training (since you're willing to put in the work, which I'm not, why not benefit to the max as opposed to get random sub-optimal results?). So structured planned progressive training which all by itself may give you progress even if the progress is not directly scale related.

I note that you're BMI ~26ish; but arguably by many you are not actually incurring a countable health penalty risk at that weight.

I would consider a regiment of re-feeds and would definitely consider the accuracy of my logging and degree of how much of an outlier I am when it comes to making decisions.

Yes, you can probably drop calories and lose. I have some questions as to whether that would be a great idea vis a vis something along the lines of continuing to recomp as you're probably doing at this time. (only doing it more effectively with more structured/well thought out exercise)
  • musicandarts
    musicandarts Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Your food intake looks very good, but your calorie burn looks excessive. Are you using Fitbit to account for calories burned? My suspicion is that you are overestimating the calories used.
  • newheavensearth
    Options

I fixed that.

If your caloric intake levels are accurate (weighted, everything counted, bites/condiments/coffee accounted for) I am a little bit baffled.

I would consider changing "random" weight training to structured planned training (since you're willing to put in the work, which I'm not, why not benefit to the max as opposed to get random sub-optimal results?). So structured planned progressive training which all by itself may give you progress even if the progress is not directly scale related.

I note that you're BMI ~26ish; but arguably by many you are not actually incurring a countable health penalty risk at that weight.

I would consider a regiment of re-feeds and would definitely consider the accuracy of my logging and degree of how much of an outlier I am when it comes to making decisions.

Yes, you can probably drop calories and lose. I have some questions as to whether that would be a great idea vis a vis something along the lines of continuing to recomp as you're probably doing at this time. (only doing it more effectively with more structured/well thought out exercise)

Thank you. I was thinking if I should just go for a recomp now cuz it's not like the scale is really moving anyway vs. keep fighting for fat loss. I'm already a single digit size and happy with somewhat, but hung up on the scale and I feel flabby.

I'm looking into structured weight training plans and cutting back some cardio. Tightening up logging is a definite.

Thanks for your advice! Much appreciated!
  • PAV8888
    Options
    7K would be a lightly active day so I would make sure negative adjustments were enabled (takes away calories) to compensate. (actually from sedentary it would probably NOT take away any calories)

I would look into three threads.

-- re feed and diet break threads
    -- lean people trying to get leaner thread
    -- re-comp thread

exercise forum may have some great advice on structured programs.
  • amyepdx
    amyepdx Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    I really wish people who don't have Fitbits and don't use them would stop weighing in on how "inaccurate" they are. There are a great many of us who use these forums who make use of our Fitbits with great success because we know how to work with them.

This isn't a Fitbit issue, it seems that the OP knows how to work with her Fitbit. I agree with PAV8888 that this is likely some other underlying issue and the OP is likely to find answers in those other threads.

Thank you! That’s one of my pet peeves but I haven’t been able to word it as well as you! My Fitbits have been instrumental in my 96 lb loss and ongoing goals.
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    Dang. I basically have the same stats. I know I could lose some weight but hearing you want to lose 23 makes me feel like a bum :( I don't think I could ever do it.
  • newheavensearth
    Options
    bbell1985 wrote: »
    Dang. I basically have the same stats. I know I could lose some weight but hearing you want to lose 23 makes me feel like a bum :( I don't think I could ever do it.

But you are in a lot better shape than me! You look great!

So my options are lose the 23 and be happy with the decent muscle I have, or recomp now.
  • PAV8888
    edited February 2018
    Options

#$_&+$_-$&-$ @bbell1985 I know you think I'm an **kitten** but look at you lady. Where do you think you have a spare 23lbs??? You've worked hard. You look kick *kitten*. And it is very frustrating from the outside that you don't see your own success. :disappointed:

So yes. You can't do it. it would be terrible goal setting!!!
  • newheavensearth
    Options

#$_&+$_-$&-$ @bbell1985 I know you think I'm an **kitten** but look at you lady. Where do you think you have a spare 23lbs??? You've worked hard. You look kick *kitten*. And it is very frustrating from the outside that you don't see your own success. :disappointed:

I know right! I'm trying to look like her!
    #goals
  • bbell1985
    Options

You just annoy me when you say I'm not eating enough. I've gained 15 lbs since July so I'm pretty sure that's not the case.

Anyway, OP. I didn't look at your diary, admittedly. I look the way I do now from losing from 165 to 127, then gaining weight again. I'm 149 now. I power lift and also run hypertrophy blocks.
  • newheavensearth
    Options

You just annoy me when you say I'm not eating enough. I've gained 15 lbs since July so I'm pretty sure that's not the case.

Anyway, OP. I didn't look at your diary, admittedly. I look the way I do now from losing from 165 to 127, then gaining weight again. I'm 149 now. I power lift and also run hypertrophy blocks.

I haven't done any structured hypertrophy programs. I want to do SL 5x5 but I'm hesitant because of degenerative disc issues in my lumbar spine. I need to keep looking for safe options, and so far most trainers I've run into can't see why I'm interested in lifting anything heavier than 15 lb dumbbells.
  • bbell1985
    Options

I haven't done any structured hypertrophy programs. I want to do SL 5x5 but I'm hesitant because of degenerative disc issues in my lumbar spine. I need to keep looking for safe options, and so far most trainers I've run into can't see why I'm interested in lifting anything heavier than 15 lb dumbbells.

Ah, yes. Be careful what you choose then. SL is cool. I did it a few years ago. You could have great results running hypertrophy programs with machines and dumbbells if you don't want to load the spine too much. The best I ever looked was when I had a bulging disk and could not squat or deadlift. I was doing high volume body building training. (That was this summer).
  • newheavensearth
    Options

Ah, yes. Be careful what you choose then. SL is cool. I did it a few years ago. You could have great results running hypertrophy programs with machines and dumbbells if you don't want to load the spine too much. The best I ever looked was when I had a bulging disk and could not squat or deadlift. I was doing high volume body building training. (That was this summer).[/quote

I can squat, not too parallel, and deadlift, so far nothing over 65 lbs. It's progress.
    I found a high volume program on a strength training app that looks pretty solid. I'm psyching myself up for it.
  • bbell1985
    Options

Ah, yes. Be careful what you choose then. SL is cool. I did it a few years ago. You could have great results running hypertrophy programs with machines and dumbbells if you don't want to load the spine too much. The best I ever looked was when I had a bulging disk and could not squat or deadlift. I was doing high volume body building training. (That was this summer).[/quote

I can squat, not too parallel, and deadlift, so far nothing over 65 lbs. It's progress.
    I found a high volume program on a strength training app that looks pretty solid. I'm psyching myself up for it.

Awesome! I hope you enjoy it :)