Think I’m pissing everyone off?...

Options

Replies

• Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    Just get/talk about a few hobbies or things you do. As much as I've always loved lifting, there are other things...
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »
    Well I'm an outlier- I over share on everything- I tend to over share on my personal life, my dancing and my lifting.
    It makes me a crappy coworker. I mostly don't feel bad about it. I only feel bad that I can't seem to keep my trap shut. That's about it.

Me too. I mean, I feel bad that I can't keep quiet.

I don't care that I'm sharing- because eff them- but I find it gets me into trouble and I wish I was a more private person. But- well- it's just not my normal MO .

I even got a new tattoo to remind me to keep my trap shut- it's barely working.
  • Okiludy
    Okiludy Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    I look at it as part of the experience. When you start you start to understand something that really isn't that complicated and how great it can be, you want to share this with as many people as possible. Problem is it's like religion in that many people either don't care or don't agree with you.

Once the initial rush is over you find like-minded people and talk with them mainly. Every now and then someone may ask you about "what have you done" and you'll start to moderate what you share.
  • melissa6771
    melissa6771 Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    @JoRocka I could've written your posts. I am the same way! It's so hard to be any different. Every morning i tell myself I will keep it shut, and then, voila... same *kitten* different day. Lol
  • Sam29a
    Sam29a Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Best to keep it to yourself because it can be terribly annoying. I have to really bite my tongue when others talk about some miracle cleanse, or fruit diet or soup diet that someone they know has done and lost lots of weight with. Sometimes I can't help myself and say what I think, but 9 times out of 10, it falls on deaf ears, so what is the point?People don't want to hear the truth.
  • blueheartrisen
    blueheartrisen Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I do this with every new hobby. Annoying I am sure.

Make sure to ask people about their life and their stuff, too, and you should be good.
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    Get. Personal trainer and dietician to unload on. It’s their job to talk about food and fitness
  • jessef593
    jessef593 Posts: 2,272 Member
    Options
    I experienced the same issue with coworkers and friends.

You’re opened up to a new world and a wealth of knowledge. You want to discuss it and share it all the time, the best thing you can do is try and make gym buddies.
  • flowerhorsey
    flowerhorsey Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I understand...I try now to just share with my hubby. He's proud of me and impressed with how strong I'm getting.. But sometimes I still will post a pic to my sisters of me doing chin ups:) I never could do them in my entire life but I can now... Or me hip thrusting 335 lbs was the latest I shared with them. But in reality they don't want to know. So I share with hubby and some at the gym that I've gotten to know. Trying to not talk about it to my sisters and friends is what I do now. Discov ering this community on mfp is pretty cool too.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    @JoRocka I could've written your posts. I am the same way! It's so hard to be any different. Every morning i tell myself I will keep it shut, and then, voila... same *kitten* different day. Lol

riding that over sharing struggle bus together!!!
  • CowboySar
    CowboySar Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    l4ur4j4d4 wrote: »
    So since January I’ve decided to go back to the gym and get fit!
    But I think I’m getting obsessed and I wanna talk about gym and fitness and food all the time! Only to keep me motivated and because I’m loving it at the moment... but all my friends and my boyfriend especially hate me right now because they’re getting sick of it hahaha.
    I can see where they’re coming from, but I need friends so I can have these discussions with!
    Just wondering if anyone else is annoying people with this aswell?... ha!

All the time, I get the eye rolls, they change the subject, or they find something else to do in the middle of the conversation. I have noted that generally it is the ones that are not at a healthy weight and don't have the motivation or ambition to change. I just continue and don't care....
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »
    Well I'm an outlier- I over share on everything- I tend to over share on my personal life, my dancing and my lifting.
    It makes me a crappy coworker. I mostly don't feel bad about it. I only feel bad that I can't seem to keep my trap shut. That's about it.

That is why we luv U!

• tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,107 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    This is what I use MFP and a separate instagram account for. Majority of my friends don't what to be lambasted with workout posts and food pics, but the community here do and on my IG account do. Check out Meetup.com in your area, there may be some active groups so you can meet some people with similar interests. I signed up to a couple of hiking and yoga groups. I stick to other topics with my close friends and family and on other social media.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    Heck yeah, the ones around us can't be bothered listening...that's what this forum is for :smiley:
  • BattyKnitter
    BattyKnitter Posts: 503 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    The first time I lost a big chunk of weight about 7 years ago I had a coworker just explode at me and yell at me to stop talking about fitness/calories. I was so stunned, I had NO idea I was talking about it that much and annoying her. I really wish she had talked to me about it before she exploded though it was so embarrassing.

Now I'm trying very hard to not talk about it with friends or coworkers, I haven't lost enough yet for people to notice so that helps. My husband is the worlds most patient man but I do try to not just talk about my fitness journey with him.