Is there such a thing as starvation mode?

Options
Hello! I just switched to this program from weight watchers. In the WW program they gave you a healthy eating span of points. They said you had to eat the minimum number of points in order to lose weight. Is it the same here? The app is giving me 1200 calories a day. If I only eat 1000 of those calories will I still lose weight? Or should I be trying to come as close to 1200 as I can?

Replies

• inertiastrength
    inertiastrength Posts: 2,343 Member
    Options
    There is such thing as a starvation response but not to anyone with any amount of bodyfat to lose.
  • sherisse5
    sherisse5 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone. I did set up my goals and my profile. 1200 is what the app set for me to be in track to lose 2 lbs a week. If 1200 is the minimum needed for good health should I be less aggressive with my goal? Only 1 lb a week?
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Both. 1200 is the minimum it will assign, which shows that a 2 pound a week loss is too aggressive for you.
  • sherisse5
    sherisse5 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Thank you. I just reset my goal to 1lb a week and it's now giving me 1500 calories a day. So if I aim for a minimum of 1200 and a maximum of 1500, I should do just fine. Right? Here's Hoping!
  • Poisonedpawn78
    Poisonedpawn78 Posts: 1,145 Member
    Options
    sherisse5 wrote: »
    Thank you. I just reset my goal to 1lb a week and it's now giving me 1500 calories a day. So if I aim for a minimum of 1200 and a maximum of 1500, I should do just fine. Right? Here's Hoping!

Yes. And if you exercise you earn more calories to eat with as well.
  • allenpriest
    allenpriest Posts: 1,102 Member
    Options
    If you eat nothing at all for many days then you will shrink up and die.

That's starvation mode.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    If you eat nothing at all for many days then you will shrink up and die.

That's starvation mode.

thats plain starvation,starvation mode is thought by many as eating little but not losing weight and your body holding on to every calorie,your fat and so on to prevent a famine. your body hold on to nothing when you are starving or in a deficit.There is such a thing as adaptive thermogenesis though
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,136 Member
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »

Stealing this for the infographic thread lol
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    Yes and no. The lower your calories are the more efficient your body tries to be to adapt to the low intake, so this adaptation does result in a slower metabolic rate and burning fat less efficiently, in addition to hormonal changes that affect your hunger to push you to consume more food and your movements becoming more sluggish in general which affects non-exercise activity, and yes, that means a slower metabolism. Starvation mode as people think it to be, where you start to gain fat or stop losing at all on a 1000 calorie diet is a myth. When you eat too low you still lose weight, probably even faster than if you had a more moderate intake, but the amount of fat lost per calorie restricted is lower.