Tailbone pain after stationary bike

Options
kiela64
kiela64 Posts: 1,447 Member
The stationary bike is great for me because of the low impact on my knees. I go 2x/ week. But I have a sore tailbone after & the next day. I don’t know if that means my form is wrong or if there is anything I can do to prevent it? Is this a common issue & no big deal? Sometimes the discomfort of the seat means I can’t peddle as long as I could have otherwise.

Replies

• icanmovemountains
    icanmovemountains Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I used to get this a lot too. I found that it was from sitting wrong for long periods of time on the bike. Try sitting up straighter and with your butt pushed back into the chair. Also try spending less time on the bike if its hurting you. Try it for maybe 20 minutes only and see if youre still hurting after that. Good luck!
  • kiela64
    Options
    I used to get this a lot too. I found that it was from sitting wrong for long periods of time on the bike. Try sitting up straighter and with your butt pushed back into the chair. Also try spending less time on the bike if its hurting you. Try it for maybe 20 minutes only and see if youre still hurting after that. Good luck!

Thank you! It’s not a chair but a normal bike seat, so no back. Maybe that’s why it’s hard to stay upright correctly.
  • Patricehm16
    Patricehm16 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Indoor cycling is excellent cardio for those with knee or back issues. I have both problems and have been spinning for years without a problem. I would recommend either padded bike shorts or a cushion bike seat. Bike shorts feel like u are wearing diapers, so I would say bike seat but Either would help. Once you ride for awhile, you should be fine. Best of luck
  • _mr_b
    _mr_b Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    It'll be your position on the bike.

Incorrect position can lead to all sorts of issues, get it right and you'll be a lot more comfortable and a lot more efficient.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,394 Member
    Options
    I would suggest you use a bike where you sit less upright but more bend forward. That takes pressure off your tailbone and your spine.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,866 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    kae612 wrote: »
    The stationary bike is great for me because of the low impact on my knees. I go 2x/ week. But I have a sore tailbone after & the next day. I don’t know if that means my form is wrong or if there is anything I can do to prevent it? Is this a common issue & no big deal? Sometimes the discomfort of the seat means I can’t peddle as long as I could have otherwise.

Do you have the saddle set up at the correct height for you?

Do you have the handlebars lowered so that they are even with the saddle or maybe even just slightly lower?

If not ... set the bicycle up that way, and you'll feel better.

Your tailbone hurts because you're too upright ... and it's possible your saddle might not be high enough.

Get on the bicycle, ride for a few seconds to settle in, and then put your heal on the pedal when the pedal is at the bottom of the pedal stroke. You should have a slight bend in your knee. Your knee should not be locked, and there should not be a really obvious bend ... just a very slight bend. That is a good place to start for saddle height.

Incidentally ... I slipped on ice many years ago, and cracked my tailbone. One of the things I could still do was ride my bicycles because I had them set up properly and was leaning forward, off my tailbone.

I couldn't sit at class, work, church or anywhere, but I could ride my bicycle inside or out. :)
  • ServusChristi
    ServusChristi Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I've been using a recumbent bicycle/ cross -trainer up till last week for the same reasons. Then I got knocked off of it because of strained inner thigh muscles (or L3-L4 trouble; we'll see what a cortisone shot does). I was so bummed, but it turns out to be a good thing -- it forced me onto the treadmill, which was only marginally more painful in my knees (if at all).

Already, I'm walking better. Muscles I haven't used enough are growing stronger, stabilizer muscles necessary for walking. My knees are doing better, too, as my legs get stronger.

Having fought tailbone trouble periodically over the years (it can be horrible! ), I'd stay far away from whatever is causing it. It takes forever to heal, and you don't want to make it worse.
  • kiela64
    Options
    Thank you all for the great feedback!

So the handlebars etc are not adjustable. Only the seat height, which I adjusted based on this article from LiveStrong - checking the pedals by my heels with the leg extended, then pedalling with the ball of my foot so it's not fully extended.

That article also says to sit upright, which is why I thought it was the correct form.

I do not seem to be "bouncing" but I do feel sometimes as though my right leg is dominating the conversation, so to speak. Maybe it is slightly longer or something, or just the stronger leg.

The resistance is given as a number of "incline" and I usually use the levels between 10-15. I have picked it because at that point my legs aren't spinning, but are also able to move. At 15 it becomes hard to push and I can only pedal there for a short while. 10 feels easy, 12 still okay, 13-15 is to challenge myself. I don't know what the rpm is, because this "resistance number" is completely different from ones I've seen on other bikes, where I've been a "level 4" so I genuinely don't really know what the numbers translate to. "Distance" is also given in a number that isn't clarified by a unit, which is frustrating when I want to quantify things.

This seems to be the cycle that my gym has.
    Machka9 wrote: »

Do you have the saddle set up at the correct height for you?

Do you have the handlebars lowered so that they are even with the saddle or maybe even just slightly lower?

If not ... set the bicycle up that way, and you'll feel better.

Your tailbone hurts because you're too upright ... and it's possible your saddle might not be high enough.

Get on the bicycle, ride for a few seconds to settle in, and then put your heal on the pedal when the pedal is at the bottom of the pedal stroke. You should have a slight bend in your knee. Your knee should not be locked, and there should not be a really obvious bend ... just a very slight bend. That is a good place to start for saddle height.

Incidentally ... I slipped on ice many years ago, and cracked my tailbone. One of the things I could still do was ride my bicycles because I had them set up properly and was leaning forward, off my tailbone.

I couldn't sit at class, work, church or anywhere, but I could ride my bicycle inside or out. :)

I am a rather short person, so when I adjust the seat so my feet are on the pedals properly, no the handlebars are not even with the seat at all! They are much higher. Sort of like bottom of my ribs/above bellybutton height. But this isn't something I can adjust.... :( Frankly, if I put the seat at the height of the handlebars then I would be unable to reach the pedals at all.
    sijomial wrote: »
    I wouldn't expect tailbone to be a sore point to be honest, makes me suspect you either have a pre-existing condition or your set up is badly wrong.
    "Maybe that’s why it’s hard to stay upright correctly." Upright isn't really a good cycling position - wonder if that's what is causing the issue?
    (Can you get someone to take a picture from the side with your near leg at bottom of the pedal stroke and then post it in this thread?)

First check your fit on the bike - I see some horrendous riding positions in the gym by non-cyclists.
    Here's a guide to set up which is probably a bit more technical than you need but at least do the saddle height and saddle fore/aft position, seat level and then set your handlebars for comfort (level with the saddle is a good start point), you should have some weight on your hands.
    https://support.wattbike.com/hc/en-us/articles/115000644445-How-to-set-up-your-Wattbike-Pro-Trainer

Second - is your pedalling resistance set properly? Nice cadence (in range 80 - 100 rpm generally recommended) and no bouncing or squirming on the saddle?

Third - invest in cycling shorts.

Fourth - some exercise bike saddles are simply awful. As I do a lot of indoor cycling in the winter I fit my own saddle rather than use the "designed by a man hater" standard saddle.

Yeah having weight on my hands is completely different from what I read ^ which said that I should be barely touching the handlebars, if at all. The bike (I posted a link to an image above) does have a second, further set of handlebars where I'm basically leaning my upper body onto it - should those be the ones to use?

From the video, that bike has many more adjustable parts than the one at my gym, unless I'm missing something. Though it does seem that might help if it did (or if it does and I'm just not seeing it). I think things are maybe more designed to be easily set up for someone with longer limbs and another foot taller.
  • santje00
    santje00 Posts: 95 Member
    Options

I had exactly the same problem when I started out. I could not stay on it because my tailbone would start to kill me after only ten minutes. I do have to say this, as I lost weight, the problem dissipated. I also had less problems with balance. No idea where you are weight-wise, but it could be a cause for some people.
  • kiela64
    Options
    santje00 wrote: »

I had exactly the same problem when I started out. I could not stay on it because my tailbone would start to kill me after only ten minutes. I do have to say this, as I lost weight, the problem dissipated. I also had less problems with balance. No idea where you are weight-wise, but it could be a cause for some people.

Yup, that could totally be it. I'm just a couple pounds under my highest weight at ~203 right now. (at 5'2 this is ah....an Issue for my joints and I'd really rather not replace my cycling with walking because I've had so many issues with my knees). It doesn't hurt while I'm on the bike, but my butt does though! After ~20min my rear has had enough. I fidget a little if I stay longer.

But I can't just wait until I'm smaller to exercise, because cardio exercise is more for my general right-now health than my weight loss. The stress relief helps alleviate my emotional eating, and it helps me develop stronger legs (in physio for my knee & ankle).
  • try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options
    I also chose a stationary bike when starting my weight loss because of joint issues. Mine wasn't a tailbone issue, but my old, upright stationary bike inevitably cut off my circulation (as do regular bikes with standard seats). Didn't want to invest in a new seat for an old, creaky bike, so I ended up buying a recumbent bike to avoid the problem altogether... much better :)
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options

So the handlebars etc are not adjustable. Only the seat height, which I adjusted based on this article from LiveStrong - checking the pedals by my heels with the leg extended, then pedalling with the ball of my foot so it's not fully extended.

That article also says to sit upright, which is why I thought it was the correct form.

I do not seem to be "bouncing" but I do feel sometimes as though my right leg is dominating the conversation, so to speak. Maybe it is slightly longer or something, or just the stronger leg.

The resistance is given as a number of "incline" and I usually use the levels between 10-15. I have picked it because at that point my legs aren't spinning, but are also able to move. At 15 it becomes hard to push and I can only pedal there for a short while. 10 feels easy, 12 still okay, 13-15 is to challenge myself. I don't know what the rpm is, because this "resistance number" is completely different from ones I've seen on other bikes, where I've been a "level 4" so I genuinely don't really know what the numbers translate to. "Distance" is also given in a number that isn't clarified by a unit, which is frustrating when I want to quantify things.

I wouldn't expect tailbone to be a sore point to be honest, makes me suspect you either have a pre-existing condition or your set up is badly wrong.
    "Maybe that’s why it’s hard to stay upright correctly." Upright isn't really a good cycling position - wonder if that's what is causing the issue?
    (Can you get someone to take a picture from the side with your near leg at bottom of the pedal stroke and then post it in this thread?)

First check your fit on the bike - I see some horrendous riding positions in the gym by non-cyclists.
    Here's a guide to set up which is probably a bit more technical than you need but at least do the saddle height and saddle fore/aft position, seat level and then set your handlebars for comfort (level with the saddle is a good start point), you should have some weight on your hands.
    https://support.wattbike.com/hc/en-us/articles/115000644445-How-to-set-up-your-Wattbike-Pro-Trainer

Second - is your pedalling resistance set properly? Nice cadence (in range 80 - 100 rpm generally recommended) and no bouncing or squirming on the saddle?

Fourth - some exercise bike saddles are simply awful. As I do a lot of indoor cycling in the winter I fit my own saddle rather than use the "designed by a man hater" standard saddle.

Yeah having weight on my hands is completely different from what I read ^ which said that I should be barely touching the handlebars, if at all. The bike (I posted a link to an image above) does have a second, further set of handlebars where I'm basically leaning my upper body onto it - should those be the ones to use?

From the video, that bike has many more adjustable parts than the one at my gym, unless I'm missing something. Though it does seem that might help if it did (or if it does and I'm just not seeing it). I think things are maybe more designed to be easily set up for someone with longer limbs and another foot taller.

The Livestrong article is saying don't grip the bars - which is good advice but not the same as don't put any weight through your arms/hands which you can do with no grip at all.
    Cycling bolt upright is the problem as it's putting all your weight through the wrong area.

Yes my Wattbike is a very different piece of kit and multi adjustable so riders can replicate their outdoor cycling ergonomics. Your LifeFitness bike is pretty nasty I'm afraid and despite doing a lot of hours cycling it would hurt me in no time at all. I would have to rest my forearms on the bars to get any kind of reasonable position on it.

The bars are too high, there's no fore/aft adjustment for the saddle. As a "rather short person" there's a good chance it simply doesn't fit you.

I've tried a similar one (very briefly) at one of my gyms and it was dreadful, too upright, feet too far out in front.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    Options
    Maybe its just the seat. Before I bought my bike I read a lot of reviews on bikes and so many people said the seats were uncomfortable. Perhaps padded bicycle shorts would help.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Does your bike have a wide, cushioned seat? Many stationary bikes do and the truth is that they're awful to ride on. If you look at the saddles used on road bikes they tend to be narrow and have very little padding which limits the point of contact to your "sit bones", while this does not intuitively sound more comfortable it is, especially on longer rides (this also presupposes that your bike fits you properly) especially when combined with padded bike shorts.

If you can change your bike saddle it may be something to consider.

Here's an article that may help....

https://sq-lab.com/en/sqlab-ergonomics/the-way-to-the-perfect-saddle.html
  • kiela64
    Options

The Livestrong article is saying don't grip the bars - which is good advice but not the same as don't put any weight through your arms/hands which you can do with no grip at all.
    Cycling bolt upright is the problem as it's putting all your weight through the wrong area.

Yes my Wattbike is a very different piece of kit and multi adjustable so riders can replicate their outdoor cycling ergonomics. Your LifeFitness bike is pretty nasty I'm afraid and despite doing a lot of hours cycling it would hurt me in no time at all. I would have to rest my forearms on the bars to get any kind of reasonable position on it.

The bars are too high, there's no fore/aft adjustment for the saddle. As a "rather short person" there's a good chance it simply doesn't fit you.

I've tried a similar one (very briefly) at one of my gyms and it was dreadful, too upright, feet too far out in front.

Thank you for your help!!!

Next time I guess I'll try to lean forwards during my ride and see if that helps at all. I hadn't really been doing that because I thought upright was more correct, just based off of what I saw people doing around me, haha.

There are a couple reclining bikes at the gym, something like this, but like 40 of the upright ones so I'm guaranteed a spot on them. Do you think that the reclining bikes would be a better option? I've never used one yet, but I could give it a shot if one is open.
  • kiela64
    Options
    Does your bike have a wide, cushioned seat? Many stationary bikes do and the truth is that they're awful to ride on. If you look at the saddles used on road bikes they tend to be narrow and have very little padding which limits the point of contact to your "sit bones", while this does not intuitively sound more comfortable it is, especially on longer rides (this also presupposes that your bike fits you properly) especially when combined with padded bike shorts.

If you can change your bike saddle it may be something to consider.

Here's an article that may help....

https://sq-lab.com/en/sqlab-ergonomics/the-way-to-the-perfect-saddle.html

Thank you, the bike (I've posted a link to it on a previous reply) has a fairly narrow seat. I can't change anything because it's at my gym. Although maybe one day when I graduate & have a job, and the space, getting my own bike would be a good plan. But that's a good portion of a decade away, at least, if I ever get to that level of financial security lmao.
  • sijomial
    Options

Next time I guess I'll try to lean forwards during my ride and see if that helps at all. I hadn't really been doing that because I thought upright was more correct, just based off of what I saw people doing around me, haha.

There are a couple reclining bikes at the gym, something like this, but like 40 of the upright ones so I'm guaranteed a spot on them. Do you think that the reclining bikes would be a better option? I've never used one yet, but I could give it a shot if one is open.

I'm not keen on recumbent bikes I'm afraid - but I'm a firm believer in "try everything", some people love them.
    Should be more comfortable at least.
  • kiela64
    Options

I'm not keen on recumbent bikes I'm afraid - but I'm a firm believer in "try everything", some people love them.

Thank you. I meant about the tailbone thing, not just in general, but why don't you like them? I don't really know the differences.
  • sijomial
    Options

Thank you. I meant about the tailbone thing, not just in general, but why don't you like them? I don't really know the differences.

You can't get your weight over the pedals so power and core/body engagement is limited.
    Not really an issue for a casual fitness user but I'm training for outdoor events rather than general fitness.