Eating Enough

Options
Hi I need some help - I am probably 5 feet tall and weigh about 106 pounds. I am only eating about 1200 calories a day, I work out 3 x a week and on those days eat what I am burning. But still keep it at 1200. Lately I am feeling very tired, and a friend of mine seems to think I am not eating enough. Is that true? Any suggestions as to what I could eat to keep my energy up? I also dont eat meat. Please help!

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Are you losing weight? Are you getting enough sleep? Are you logging your food intake?
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    What are your goals? Are you trying to lose weight? Maintain? You're short, so 1200 might not be unreasonable, but if you are working out AND you're feeling tired, you probably are eating too little.

So, eat more, especially if you feel crummy. Perhaps see a doctor and have things checked out and make sure you don't have any vitamin deficiencies.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    Are you trying to lose weight? Since you’re near the low end of a healthy weight you may have better results moving to maintenance and doing a recomposition.
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,072 Member
    Options
    krishnip wrote: »
    Hi I need some help - I am probably 5 feet tall and weigh about 106 pounds. I am only eating about 1200 calories a day, I work out 3 x a week and on those days eat what I am burning. But still keep it at 1200. Lately I am feeling very tired, and a friend of mine seems to think I am not eating enough. Is that true? Any suggestions as to what I could eat to keep my energy up? I also dont eat meat. Please help!

A little confused by the bolded, are you eating back exercise calories or not? Because that wouldn't be 1200. You're at the lower end of a healthy body weight for your height, are you trying to lose weight or maintain?
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    What is your rate of weight loss? 1200 calories is not really "too little" for someone with your stats but if you are an athlete and burning many calories, I do think you should eat back or raise your calorie goal, especially if you are losing at a quick rate.

I'm 5'4", 150, and usually eat 1200-1400 for weight loss. I can feel fatigued a few days out of the week but the appropriate macro balance usually keeps me in line.
  • krishnip
    krishnip Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Are you losing weight? Are you getting enough sleep? Are you logging your food intake?

Yes to losing weight, yes to logging in food, not sure about sleep
  • krishnip
    Options
    What are your goals? Are you trying to lose weight? Maintain? You're short, so 1200 might not be unreasonable, but if you are working out AND you're feeling tired, you probably are eating too little.

So, eat more, especially if you feel crummy. Perhaps see a doctor and have things checked out and make sure you don't have any vitamin deficiencies.

• krishnip
    Options

I was thinking about talking to my doctor, thank you
  • krishnip
    Options

A little confused by the bolded, are you eating back exercise calories or not? Because that wouldn't be 1200. You're at the lower end of a healthy body weight for your height, are you trying to lose weight or maintain?

not sure why it is bold!!! I am trying to maintain
  • krishnip
    Options
    malibu927 wrote: »
    Are you trying to lose weight? Since you’re near the low end of a healthy weight you may have better results moving to maintenance and doing a recomposition.

How would I do a recomposition - any ideas??
  • bbell1985
    Options

Then if you are losing weight but trying to maintain, eat more. Your post is a little confusing, sorry.
  • krishnip
    Options
    bbell1985 wrote: »
    What is your rate of weight loss? 1200 calories is not really "too little" for someone with your stats but if you are an athlete and burning many calories, I do think you should eat back or raise your calorie goal, especially if you are losing at a quick rate.

I'm 5'4", 150, and usually eat 1200-1400 for weight loss. I can feel fatigued a few days out of the week but the appropriate macro balance usually keeps me in line.

How do I do the macro balance, could you help me with that please.
  • bbell1985
    Options

It's up to you. What you find satiating while hitting minimum fats and protein recommended. I like a gram of protein per pound of body weight (which is the high side, many use .8 per pound, or even per pound of lean mass), .35 g of fat per pound of body weight (the minimum for women), and the rest in carbs.

But some may like higher fat, some higher carbs and a bit lower protein, etc.
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,072 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options

I bolded it to query what you said, you said you eat around 1200 calories, but then said you eat what you burn on days that you work out, which would imply eating exercise calories back in addition to the 1200, but then also stated you still ate 1200 calories?

You say you want to maintain, but maintaining at your stats you'd be looking at around 1400 calories (if sedentary), not 1200 and then eating back the calories from your workouts.

For more info on recomp check out the pinned posts in the Maintenance Board.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,121 Member
    Options

If you put your stats into Myfitnesspal and choose Maintain, the macros will adjust for you .

Enter Exercise on days you do it and eat a bit more to fuel it - the macros will adjust.

MFP macros are 50/30/20, you can manually adjust if you want.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    OP I went back to August and found this thread.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10450342/frustrated/p1

Have you considered taking a diet break, work to find your maintenance calories? You should read this and watch the video. I don't know anything about weight loss history, if you have been trying to sustain 1200 calories for many months this might do you a world of good with the side effects you are having.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10604863/of-refeeds-and-diet-breaks/p1

eta: Is a little more weight loss or getting leaner in your case worth continuing, perhaps its getting unhealthy to do so? Might you consider recomp?

This link will help you familiarize yourself with the process.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10177803/recomposition-maintaining-weight-while-losing-fat/p1

• krishnip
    Options
    RoxieDawn wrote: »
    OP I went back to August and found this thread.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10450342/frustrated/p1

Have you considered taking a diet break, work to find your maintenance calories? You should read this and watch the video. I don't know anything about weight loss history, if you have been trying to sustain 1200 calories for many months this might do you a world of good with the side effects you are having.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10604863/of-refeeds-and-diet-breaks/p1

eta: Is a little more weight loss or getting leaner in your case worth continuing, perhaps its getting unhealthy to do so? Might you consider recomp?

This link will help you familiarize yourself with the process.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10177803/recomposition-maintaining-weight-while-losing-fat/p1

this is great thanks