Protein powder

Options
I noticed my protein goals for mfp are low, around 48 a day. Should i be eating more, and using protein powder? i do strength training about 2-3 days a week, but have always thought the powder supplements were for people who worked out a TON. Will it help or hurt my weight loss goals??

Replies

• MissMaryMac33
    MissMaryMac33 Posts: 1,433 Member
    Options
    I changed my goals to 45% Protein, 25% carbs, 30% fat...
    I drink at least one and usually two protein shakes a day... they kep me full between meals, they are good for, they count towards your daily fluid and they are great after a workout. I think the default for protein is way off and should be reversed wtih carbs but it's a personal thing.

EDIT: There are TONS of protein powders that are NOT for weight gain.... My typical protein shake has about 150 calories, 5g carbs, 3g sugar and 25g protein. Just read the labels..... my favorite places to order are trueprotein.com, bodybuilding.com nashuanutrition.com or just go to GNC during gold card week or vitamin shoppe.
  • sincereme
    sincereme Posts: 276
    Options
    Good question. Interested in knowing as well :bigsmile:
  • ambermichon
    ambermichon Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    I drink a protein shake every day...sometimes twice. I find higher protein helps me lose weight and retain muscle and since I dont want to eat more meat I drink the shakes...they help with extra cals you might need from exercise too. I add a banana sometimes or peanut butter.
  • TankGirl71
    TankGirl71 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    I just bought a 2 lb jug for my 76 year old mom, who doesn't get enough protein. It's for anyone who wants to add more protein without adding a lot of fat and calories. You can mix it into foods like yogurt, pancakes or oatmeal. Or just make simple shakes with fruit. I use Optimum Nutrition brand whey - easy on the stomach. Casein is also an option for bedtime - it digests slower than whey.
  • taso42_DELETED
    taso42_DELETED Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    In terms of help or hurt your weightloss goals, I would say it's neutral, just like chicken breast.
    48g sounds about fine. You could go way higher if you wanted to. But you don't have to.
    You can use protein powder if you want to. you don't have to (and it doesn't sound like you need to).

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/taso42/view/whey-protein-101-120880
  • Jazzyjules71
    Jazzyjules71 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I agree with marymac, I think the protein goals are low. But that's just a personal preference. If you are insulin resistant at all (as most overweight people are), lower carbs and higher protein is better. I was told by my trainer that exercisers should have 1/2 gram of protein daily for each pound of body weight they have. I have no problem reaching that (despite being 60 pounds over weight). I eat healthy proteins, and use protein powder in smoothies (delicious), and protein bars for snacks.
  • jbravo5
    jbravo5 Posts: 11
    Options
    thanks everyone. I think I will go ahead and buy some of the powder to try it out. My friend introduced me to the Abs for women diet cookbook, and he uses a lot of protein powder. good to know it won't make me gain weight!