Weight lifting programs

Options
I'm curious to know what others think about this program.
https://www.muscleandstrength.com/workouts/muscle-and-strength-womens-workout
I won't do the cardio at the end... I'm in maintenance and do others forms of cardio already. I'm really just interested in the weight training aspect of the program. I don't enjoy full body programs. I've done four day upper lower splits and I do enjoy them. I'll go back to the upper lower split if this one doesn't work. But I just wanted to know what others think of this program. TIA!

Replies

• Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    Overall it's not horrible. It's kind of weird prescribing arms & legs twice a week, but chest only once. But most bro splits have some weirdness going on. B)
    What don't you like about full-body programs?
  • BeccaLoves2lift
    BeccaLoves2lift Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    Cherimoose wrote: »
    Overall it's not horrible. It's kind of weird prescribing arms & legs twice a week, but chest only once. But most bro splits have some weirdness going on. B)
    What don't you like about full-body programs?

I think it's scheduled the way it is because it's geared towards females. I like that it works the lower body so much.
    I just don't like working my whole body everytime I workout... I guess I find it boring... I don't know, I just seem to enjoy a split routine more.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    I would say instead of the extra arm work on day 5 I would add another chest and back exercise. Also, I would not use the Smith machine.
  • Davidsdottir
    Davidsdottir Posts: 1,285 Member
    Options
    Interesting. Kinda a lot for a beginner program.
  • BeccaLoves2lift
    Options
    I don't use a Smith machine, I workout at home. Thanks for the input, I'll be sticking with the 4 day upper lower split instead.
  • kpendleton19
    kpendleton19 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    This is the program that i'm doing right now. I added frog thrust, hip abduction, front db raise, and seating calves exercises. So far so good.
  • JAYxMSxPES
    JAYxMSxPES Posts: 193 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    It's not a bad program by any means. Personally I would like to see the author enter an intensity level for the compound lifts so you have a better gauage of what to lift. Additionally, a better progression model over time should've been provided. Unless it's in the PDF which I didn't take the time to read.

Also, please please please don't get caught-up in the "women's" program versus a "man's program." The muscular system and nervous system work the same for both. Both have specific nerves that innervate specific muscles and the muscles in women work just like the muscles in men. Biceps flex the arm at the elbow, quadriceps extend the knee at the femur and support hip flexion, etc., etc., nothing changes between gender.

There are only a couple real specific differences. The female menstrual cycle, enough said there. Q-angle of the hips in women is greater so it is important to make sure women have good lower body mobility and strong hamstrings and glutes to ensure proper ankle and knee movement. ACL injuries are even more common in women because of the difference in hip angle. With that being said and maybe aside from a small difference in total volumne; I would train a man incredibly similar. Squat with accessory lifts to focus on lower-body posterior for example. Good lower body mobility and posterior strength is equally important in men.

Quite often, classifying something as this author did is nothing more than a marketing ploy. Don't be afraid to follow more proven training programs that aren't "specific to women."
  • BeccaLoves2lift
    Options
    JAYxMSxPES wrote: »
    It's not a bad program by any means. Personally I would like to see the author enter an intensity level for the compound lifts so you have a better gauage of what to lift. Additionally, a better progression model over time should've been provided. Unless it's in the PDF which I didn't take the time to read.

Also, please please please don't get caught-up in the "women's" program versus a "man's program." The muscular system and nervous system work the same for both. Both have specific nerves that innervate specific muscles and the muscles in women work just like the muscles in men. Biceps flex the arm at the elbow, quadriceps extend the knee at the femur and support hip flexion, etc., etc., nothing changes between gender.

There are only a couple real specific differences. The female menstrual cycle, enough said there. Q-angle of the hips in women is greater so it is important to make sure women have good lower body mobility and strong hamstrings and glutes to ensure proper ankle and knee movement. ACL injuries are even more common in women because of the difference in hip angle. With that being said and maybe aside from a small difference in total volumne; I would train a man incredibly similar. Squat with accessory lifts to focus on lower-body posterior for example. Good lower body mobility and posterior strength is equally important in men.

Quite often, classifying something as this author did is nothing more than a marketing ploy. Don't be afraid to follow more proven training programs that aren't "specific to women."

Thank you for your input, it's appreciated.