Protein Intake

Options
I feel like my protein is too low and I am always going over it. Is there anyway anyone can tell me if my protein amount is right? I am 5'0 and weight 151. MFP says my protein should be 60 grams on a 1200 calorie. Is it bad to always be going over it?

Replies

• livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    Nope, over is fine - the protein and fat recommendations should be seen as minimums.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Nope, over is fine - the protein and fat recommendations should be seen as minimums.

This. Plus you can change your macro percentages to give you a higher protein goal.
  • toxikon
    toxikon Posts: 2,384 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    I believe the minimum protein goal is around 0.8g of protein per 1kg of body weight. This is mainly for Sedentary people, so more active people will have higher requirements.

https://examine.com/nutrition/how-much-protein-do-i-need-every-day/
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    MFP's default goal is 20% of calories (which is 60 g at 1200). I think it's usually too low for someone at 1200 (not for health, but for preserving muscle as you lose weight, and possibly for satiety). A good goal to preserve muscle as you lose is .7-.8 g per goal weight -- I don't know your goal, but 110-115 is the middle of the healthy BMI range, so I might aim for at least 80 g of protein or so. But mostly don't worry about going over your protein goal, it's more like a minimum if calories are in check.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,429 Member
    Options
    toxikon wrote: »
    I believe the minimum protein goal is around 0.8g of protein per 1kg of body weight. This is mainly for Sedentary people, so more active people will have higher requirements.

That would be per kg of healthy body weight.

Obese/overweight people don't need extra protein to maintain their fat mass.

(I do agree that active people and some other subgroups - aging, in a calorie deficit - ought to get more per kg, but the basis is still healthy weight, not current weight if current is excessive.)

• toxikon
    toxikon Posts: 2,384 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    toxikon wrote: »

That would be per kg of healthy body weight.

Obese/overweight people don't need extra protein to maintain their fat mass.

(I do agree that active people and some other subgroups - aging, in a calorie deficit - ought to get more per kg, but the basis is still healthy weight, not current weight if current is excessive.)

The link I posted suggests 0.8kg per kg of body weight, but that's not to say it's the only source out there. I don't think there's a definitive answer, and using a range is definitely the way to go!
  • YogiJear
    YogiJear Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Yeah MFP's default protein goal seems pretty low. One of the first things I did was manually tweak the protein % up to about 1g/lb.