Weight loss surgery, yes or no?

Options
2»

Replies

• tamonkay
    tamonkay Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I've known several people over the years who underwent the surgery, but ended up gaining back the weight(or much of it)because of going right back to old eating habits. One friend had it done about 2 years ago and while she lost over half of herself, she has had persistent problems with dehydration and malnutrition, even losing quite a bit of hair.
    Once you have the surgery, it's a constant battle to eat right and get the right nutrition-without stretching your stomach back out and undoing the process.
  • Fitnessmom82
    Fitnessmom82 Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    OP I have not had the surgery, so I have no personal story to share. But, I have several family members that have. All but one have not had success. They used it has a sort of quick fix. They didn't learn any of the proper habits to sustain the weight loss and they gained it all back pretty quickly.
    Based on your photo I am surprised it was suggested for you! I would get another opinion for sure. If you have not already tried logging here, maybe give this site a go for a bit first and see how you do? Either way, best of luck!
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,973 Member
    Options
    Thanks all. I have some friends that have gone through it and it's been mixed on the good and bad. I have never really considered it much. On a visit with a new doctor (about something else) she mentioned to me that she had a really good referral to a weight loss surgeon and I should consider it. While I do consider myself to be in the big girl category, I must say I was a bit offended at first because no doctor has ever mentioned such to me. Of course overeating has gotten me here but along with that I have pcos and I can basically look at food and gain weight. Now that I'm getting older (did I say that out loud haha?) my arthritic knees are killing me and I'm wondering if the positives of surgery would outweigh the negative. I do want to live my best life but I also don't want to be sick every time I eat something. Thanks for the feedback!

I'm 51 and have cranky knees, but losing a little weight and doing knee strengthening exercises regularly has done wonders for them. I also wear knee friendly shoes almost all the time.

There are lots of women here with PCOS. Many have found it helpful to reduce carbs or eat low carb, but this is not universally true.
  • StevefromMichigan
    StevefromMichigan Posts: 462 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    What was your experience like? Positive....negative??

My mother had it done. Unfortunately since then, she has gained everything back. At least in her case, it was not the quick fix she thought it would be, and failing to change her eating habits got her right back int he same place.

For me personally, I would only consider it if I were morbidly obese, >350 lbs, where the weight needed to come of very quickly due to dire health related issues.

I have seen many on this site drop 100 lbs within a year or two, so it can be done without surgery.
  • garber6th
    garber6th Posts: 1,894 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    I got a whole new lease on life and I got my mobility back. This is a big decision so it has to be all yours.

As far as the surgery risk goes, it’s about the same as gall bladder surgery.

This. I made the choice to have surgery along with my physician, my therapist, and my surgeon. I did not jump into it and I knew it was not a quick fix. Yes you do have to make the same changes as you would without surgery, meaning you have to do the work, and if you aren't mentally prepared, it might not be a great option because you can gain weight back. I was pushing 400 pounds and chose surgery as a tool to get me get out of danger faster. I had no complications and I am healthier than ever. Surgery helped me improve my quality of life like you wouldn't believe. Remember that surgery has to be looked at like a tool to use with other things to help you reach your goal. Like any other tool, it has to be used and maintained properly to work right and give you optimum results.

ETA - I had vertical sleeve gastrectomy, not gastric bypass.
  • chrissjourney
    chrissjourney Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I definitely get that it can be a wonderful "last resort" for some. I know people who were pushing 300-400 pounds and the positive it has made in their life is outstanding. I am not close to that weight but when the doc mentioned it to me I must say it made me think. Thanks all for your input... much appreciated!
  • NuMi2018
    NuMi2018 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I am scheduled to have Roux en Y gastric bypass surgery on March 2nd! In 14 more days. The clinic I am going through has been so thorough and amazing. Nothing but positive feedback from everyone who has went through this clinic. I have been yoyo dieting for years and just was at an all time low. One of my FOUR therapists mentioned it to me and wondered if it would be something I would be interested in as she used to work at a bariatric clinic before she switched over to the canadian mental health association. I had no idea it was even covered here in Canada or I would have looked into it over 20 years ago. The amount of support and information you obtain through the program alone has already changed my life immensely. Since my referral I have lost 46lbs already. The total process has only been 4 months (some people wait up to 2 YEARS to get approved...so yea, I WAS READY lol)! I have no regrets and I know with this tool I WILL succeed. I KNOW how to lose weight... I have done it numerous times. It's keeping it OFF that is the issue. With this tool I know there are going to be foods I just CAN NOT eat or it will make me seriously ill. It will actually give me a feeling of fullness, which I have never experienced before. Just so many positive things to help me actually succeed, I had to try. Our clinic even has a facebook group so everyone keeps everyone on track and motivated. Not to mention, meeting some of these people at the clinic and sharing this journey with them, has built some really strong friendships that I think is going to last us a lifetime. I would rather take my chances dying on the surgery table then going through life staying the way I am. Cause I was dying anyways. I finally have HOPE. Anyways, it's just my opinion anyways. I know alot of people are against it...and I completely understand. You gotta do what is right for YOU :) And this is right for ME!
  • chrissjourney
    Options
    NuMi2018 wrote: »
    I am scheduled to have Roux en Y gastric bypass surgery on March 2nd! In 14 more days. The clinic I am going through has been so thorough and amazing. Nothing but positive feedback from everyone who has went through this clinic. I have been yoyo dieting for years and just was at an all time low. One of my FOUR therapists mentioned it to me and wondered if it would be something I would be interested in as she used to work at a bariatric clinic before she switched over to the canadian mental health association. I had no idea it was even covered here in Canada or I would have looked into it over 20 years ago. The amount of support and information you obtain through the program alone has already changed my life immensely. Since my referral I have lost 46lbs already. The total process has only been 4 months (some people wait up to 2 YEARS to get approved...so yea, I WAS READY lol)! I have no regrets and I know with this tool I WILL succeed. I KNOW how to lose weight... I have done it numerous times. It's keeping it OFF that is the issue. With this tool I know there are going to be foods I just CAN NOT eat or it will make me seriously ill. It will actually give me a feeling of fullness, which I have never experienced before. Just so many positive things to help me actually succeed, I had to try. Our clinic even has a facebook group so everyone keeps everyone on track and motivated. Not to mention, meeting some of these people at the clinic and sharing this journey with them, has built some really strong friendships that I think is going to last us a lifetime. I would rather take my chances dying on the surgery table then going through life staying the way I am. Cause I was dying anyways. I finally have HOPE. Anyways, it's just my opinion anyways. I know alot of people are against it...and I completely understand. You gotta do what is right for YOU :) And this is right for ME!

Congrats on the weight loss so far, that's amazing! Good luck on your upcoming surgery. I hope you find the best you!
  • amyk0202
    amyk0202 Posts: 667 Member
    Options
    I had a vertical sleeve gastrectomy in 2012. I lost a lot & then regained some (not all) & then re-lost it. I've lost a total of around 150 lbs. I would definitely do it again. It was life changing for me. It is not easy & you still have the same eating issues you started out with. It's the same as any weight loss method. You have to sustain it for the rest of your life & that's hard. I know I may slip & regain. I'm not perfect & hopefully my life will be long :) . If I do, I have a permanent tool to use. It's not for everyone, but nothing suits everyone.
  • chrissjourney
    Options
    amyk0202 wrote: »
    I had a vertical sleeve gastrectomy in 2012. I lost a lot & then regained some (not all) & then re-lost it. I've lost a total of around 150 lbs. I would definitely do it again. It was life changing for me. It is not easy & you still have the same eating issues you started out with. It's the same as any weight loss method. You have to sustain it for the rest of your life & that's hard. I know I may slip & regain. I'm not perfect & hopefully my life will be long :) . If I do, I have a permanent tool to use. It's not for everyone, but nothing suits everyone.
    amyk0202 wrote: »

Wow good for you!