Halo top has arrived in the UK

Options
Faebert
Faebert Posts: 1,588 Member
I’ve read so much about Halo Top lurking on this forum I thought other Brits might be interested to know Ocado have just introduced it. £4 a tub introductory price (will be £5).

Any flavour recommendations or ones to avoid from the fans out there?

Replies

• CoachJen71
    CoachJen71 Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    I like peanut butter cup and birthday cake best. Chocolate is so-so, but did not like chocolate almond. Tastes like amaretto. Mint was all right, but not much chocolate. People rave over red velvet, but I found it a bit fruity. Heard great things about cookie dough and salted caramel, but since vanilla isn't my favorite, have not tried them.

Have not tried the newest flavors, either, but heard candy bar is pretty good.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    Hark! Is that singing I hear?
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    Good—you can have it. All it’s done here is crowd the real ice cream off the shelves as everyone rushes to jump on the bandwagon.
  • Brimstone14
    Brimstone14 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Is this some sort of 'healthy' ice cream? I've seen the name float about.
  • Faebert
    Faebert Posts: 1,588 Member
    Options
    Don’t know about “healthy”, but it’s low calorie in comparison with normal ice cream. About 300 cals for an entire tub on the ones I saw on the ocado website.

To be honest I’m not usually that fussed about ice cream (unless it’s on top of a warm brownie!) but I’m intrigued so will give it a shot.

Thanks for the tips x
  • ayesha639
    ayesha639 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I actually really like it. In Tesco it's £5 but it was on offer at £2.50, and to me it was just like normal ice cream. I had the chocolate one, and I'm a really big fan x
  • Meelisv
    Meelisv Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    I've seen Halo Top mentioned before. What is special about it?
    As I understand it is ice cream with high protein content and bit lower in calories than "average" ice cream (though not by much) and is crazy expensive.
    Similar to Lohilo ice cream we have here.
    Anything I'm missing?
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,398 Member
    Options
    What's this cookie dough thing? Cookie dough is just sugar, flour, eggs and fat. How can this be an ice cream taste?
  • angelsja
    angelsja Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    Omg going to have to get some 320cal per tub compared to my normal b&j at over 1k calories per tub :o
  • angelsja
    angelsja Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    yirara wrote: »
    What's this cookie dough thing? Cookie dough is just sugar, flour, eggs and fat. How can this be an ice cream taste?

Have you never eaten raw cookie dough never licked the spoon or bowl out after your mum finished baking well it's like that but in once cream
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,398 Member
    Options
    angelsja wrote: »
    yirara wrote: »

Have you never eaten raw cookie dough never licked the spoon or bowl out after your mum finished baking well it's like that but in once cream

Yeah, but... it's not really something I'd like in my ice cream. It just shows that this is a highly processed product and not quality ice cream.
  • AMC110
    AMC110 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I tried vanilla, chocolate and cookie dough but vanilla was my favourite. My partner has also tried the mint chip flavour, which is his favourite.
  • mortuseon_
    mortuseon_ Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    I’VE ALREADY EATEN THREE TUBS I’M SO EXCITED I’M GOING TO BUY EVERYTHING THEY HAVE

SO FAR MY FAVOURITE IS MINT CHIP

AAAAAAAAH
  • judywalsh97
    judywalsh97 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Only tried cookie dough so far, spent weeks eyeing up the empty shelf in tesco with the price labels ready for them.
  • Meelisv
    Meelisv Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    I find all this excitement fascinating specially considering prices. :)
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    Eat real ice cream. So much more satisfying and none of that weird aftertaste or 'mouth burning' feel.
  • jwcannon70
    jwcannon70 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    angelsja wrote: »
    Omg going to have to get some 320cal per tub compared to my normal b&j at over 1k calories per tub :o

My sentiments exactly. Ice cream is my weakness and I cannot do just a little. I have to do the whole tub and Halo Top allows me to do that. I just discovered it several weeks ago and I am so grateful I did. To have a tub of ice cream within my calorie allotment just seems to good to be true.
  • abirdintherain
    abirdintherain Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    From a very highly experienced Halo Top consumer, I recommend the chocolate chip cookie dough ice cream over any other flavor, but I do also enjoy the rainbow swirl, cookies and cream, mint chip, and chocolate mocha chip very much. It's all amazing. I use a pint of Halo Top as a reward for getting through work almost every night
  • thelegendofsakura89
    Options
    Meelisv wrote: »
    I've seen Halo Top mentioned before. What is special about it?
    As I understand it is ice cream with high protein content and bit lower in calories than "average" ice cream (though not by much) and is crazy expensive.
    Similar to Lohilo ice cream we have here.
    Anything I'm missing?

It's WAY lower in calories than regular ice cream. The entire pint is like 260-320 calories, as opposed to 1,000-1,200 calories for something like Ben & Jerry's.

It tastes pretty good too, imo.
  • zumbalinda22
    zumbalinda22 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Sitting down with a spoon and eating an entire pint of ice cream feels so satisfyingly "decadent"! I love the chocolate mocha chip and candy bar, which tastes kind of like a frozen Snickers bar. My new favorite, though, is caramel macchiato- yum! Smooth, mild coffee taste with some caramel flavor- delicious!