no gallbladder problems with keto diet

Options
Has anyone had good success not having a gallbladder? I want to do the keto diet but every time I try to eat meat I have serious stomach and digestive issues. No pain just serious digestive issues, diarrhea, bloating, and nausea. I have lost over a 100 lbs and still need to lose about 15 more. I just turned 61 and I have diabetes. I am 5'3 and weigh 128 lbs. Anyone have any ideas or suggestions?

Thanks all

Grandmadi57

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    I don't have a gallbladder anymore, and I seem to digest fat just fine. It sounds like your trouble is with meat, not fat? Do you chew it properly? Or do you want to not eat meat, for the animals? Can/do you eat fish, eggs, dairy? 128 pounds is a good weight for your heigth, 113 pounds is a low weight. To lose weight from this point on, you have to reduce calorie target and/or tighten up your logging and/or be more patient.
  • vingogly
    vingogly Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    I also had my gallbladder removed several years ago, and haven't had any problem with fat or meat. If it were me, I'd be checking this out with my doctor - and being upfront with him/her about my diet. Are you getting enough fiber in your diet? Since you're only 15 lbs from your goal, you might want to transition off keto into eating what you will in maintenance, only at your current calorie level.
  • gailclark48
    gailclark48 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    My gallbladder was removed back in the 70's and had no problem with fat. Went on ketogenic diet about 18 mos. ago after trying Nutrisystem, Medifast, and had great success for first few months; then horrible digestive problems ended up going to Mayo Clinic turns out I developed collagenous colitis having to go on budenasoide and metamucil last September (still on both). Of course, I stopped ketogenic. Now I eat low-fat dairy, have beef (lean cuts) once a month (sometimes twice), plenty vegetables, fruit, whole wheat products. Guts calming down and even losing weight while on the steroid. This is just me....just listen to your body; it'll let you know if something is wrong for you.
  • willowbrooke1
    willowbrooke1 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I don't have a gallbladder and started keto a few weeks ago. I did some preliminary research though, about digestion of fats without a gallbladder. If your take digestive enzymes (make sure they have ox bile in them), you can safely do keto without any problems in that area. Just do your research and find the best ones that work for you, and listen to your body.
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,967 Member
    Options
    There are some members of the Low Carber Group who have no gallbladder and successfully do keto.
    We also have a few old threads discussing. Join the group and you can post a thread and I can tag the members. http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-lcd-group

But in case you don't want to for some reason,
    I don't have a gallbladder and started keto a few weeks ago. I did some preliminary research though, about digestion of fats without a gallbladder. If your take digestive enzymes (make sure they have ox bile in them), you can safely do keto without any problems in that area. Just do your research and find the best ones that work for you, and listen to your body.

^That is one of the major recommendations, IIRC. I can pop in there later and search the exact recs.