senior female (69) runner losing endurance and has "runner's butt" : piriformis syndrome

Options
I'm trying to stay in competition shape and finding it very frustrating that I can't run as long or fast as even 4 years ago, when I was 65. Now I also have a literal pain in the butt, which I don't want to injure more. Rest is the cure for piriformis syndrome, but I have a track meet coming up mid-March and need to compete in pentathlon and some relay races. So I will be running 800 meters. I think I should just do sprints with shorter strides and ride the stationary bike for cardio. First I also have to get over the flu !!!!!! any other tips from trainers or fellow older athletes? Thanks.

Replies

• bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    Have you tried a lacrosse ball and massage for the piriformis? I can usually release mine between one or the other.
  • joyoakey
    joyoakey Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I haven't tried a ball. I have a shot put ball. I'll give that a "shot" haha thanks. I have a foam roller and that hasn't done much good, but I see the ball would get in deeper.
  • bbell1985
    Options
    I am not sure how big a shot put ball is. Seems like it might be too big.
  • joyoakey
    Options
    It is bigger than a lacrosse ball, for sure. I just tried it, though, and it gets in deeper than the foam roller. When I feel well enough to run (flu) hopefully soon, I'll see if it helps. if not, I'll get a lacrosse ball. thanks for your help. I hadn't read or heard that suggestion before,
  • bbell1985
    Options
    joyoakey wrote: »
    It is bigger than a lacrosse ball, for sure. I just tried it, though, and it gets in deeper than the foam roller. When I feel well enough to run (flu) hopefully soon, I'll see if it helps. if not, I'll get a lacrosse ball. thanks for your help. I hadn't read or heard that suggestion before,

No? You can use the lacrosse ball on many muscles. Hope it helps!

Last year my piriformis got so tight. I didn't even know what was wrong. A massage therapist found it and gave it a good go, and then I continued with the ball. Had it cleared up in a couple days.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,584 Member
    Options
    Other alternatives are tennis ball or one of those hard(ish) rubber kids' balls (often pink, cost about a buck, per one, at toy stores).

Can you get a physical therapy referral? Those folks can be magic. Sports-qualified massage therapist?

I assume you're already doing piriformis stretches.

(I'm an athlete - rower - age 62, and have used all of the above, plus yoga ball, theracane, jacuzzi/hot tub, sauna/steam room, ice/heating pad, yoga, osteopathy, and more for similar problems in the past.)

Good luck!
  • joyoakey
    Options
    I had PT who used some sort of metal instrument to break up scar tissue from tears in the muscle. Yes, doing stretches and some butt strength exercises. You sound much more dedicated than me. But my dog has one of those hard tennis-type balls you're talking about. so, do you roll on it,kind of like rolling on the foam roller, but much more concentrated to the area? thanks, Joy
  • bbell1985
    Options
    I had PT who used some sort of metal instrument to break up scar tissue from tears in the muscle. Yes, doing stretches and some butt strength exercises. You sound much more dedicated than me. But my dog has one of those hard tennis-type balls you're talking about. so, do you roll on it,kind of like rolling on the foam roller, but much more concentrated to the area? thanks, Joy

Get on it, find the piriformis. Let it sink in and breathe deeply. I roll just to move it slightly. But you don't just continuously roll.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=94pudiiGNCU

This guy rolls a little more than I do.
  • AnnPT77
    Options
    bbell1985 wrote: »

Get on it, find the piriformis. Let it sink in and breathe deeply. I roll just to move it slightly. But you don't just continuously roll.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=94pudiiGNCU

This guy rolls a little more than I do.

What she said.

I really admire how the subject in the video didn't once flinch or grimace. Either he has a much better adjusted and healthy piriformis than I do, or he's a heckuva good actor.

OP, you'll know when you find the right spot(s). You'll feel it. On that spot, try to relax a little into the ball, then roll a bit. Don't overdo it the first time.

Good luck!
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    This is the best stretch I have found. Can’t promise anything, but it has helped for several people I have given it to - including myself. The key is to keep the back flat (no rounding shoulders) and bend at the waist. Too many people think that if 3-4 inches of incline is good, 8-10 inches is better. So they round the shoulders and that immediately takes the focus off the piriformis.

https://youtu.be/2qZ517Rw7ME
  • janesmith1
    janesmith1 Posts: 1,511 Member
    Options
    Have you considered a good chiropractor for this? I just saw my great chiro on Thursday & he cleared me up of several painful things I had. According to this, a chiro can treat you for piriformis syndrome.
    https://isischiropractic.co.uk/chiropractic_back_pain_piriformis_syndrome.html
  • ridiculous59
    ridiculous59 Posts: 2,858 Member
    Options
    I can't be the only one reading this that thinks its amazing that you're competing at 69. I have no suggestions for your piriformis, but I'd like to hear your story. Have you always been an athlete? Or did you start focussing on fitness and training later in life once you had the time to devote to it?
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,445 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    I can't be the only one reading this that thinks its amazing that you're competing at 69. I have no suggestions for your piriformis, but I'd like to hear your story. Have you always been an athlete? Or did you start focussing on fitness and training later in life once you had the time to devote to it?

I used to think that way as well until I started running more and regularly getting my *kitten* kicked but a couple 70 year olds (I am 49 and I'm not slow - top 10% in every race I run). While it is true we slow as we get older, it doesn't mean we can't compete. We just have to be smart about training.

OP - Do you cross train? Strength training can be very beneficial in keeping you healthy and strong.

Good luck.
  • joyoakey
    Options
    I compete at USATF Masters track and field and some of their road races......started when I was 60. I had been doing local 5k's, but was getting bored and had no focus. Since everyone at the national events in my age group is my age (haha redundant!) and some compete internationally and set world records (google Kathryn Martin 5000 meter race, for example), I don't think I'm unusual. But thanks for compliments! The next USATF Master's National indoor is in Landover, MD March 16 - 18. I'll be doing my version of pentathlon. (never did hurdles in my life before and don't have good form, but they're only 24 inches high). thanks so much for videos on lacrosse ball techniques and stretches. Sooooo helpful. Much appreciated !!!!!!!!
  • AnnPT77
    Options
    I compete at USATF Masters track and field and some of their road races......started when I was 60. I had been doing local 5k's, but was getting bored and had no focus. Since everyone at the national events in my age group is my age (haha redundant!) and some compete internationally and set world records (google Kathryn Martin 5000 meter race, for example), I don't think I'm unusual. But thanks for compliments! The next USATF Master's National indoor is in Landover, MD March 16 - 18. I'll be doing my version of pentathlon. (never did hurdles in my life before and don't have good form, but they're only 24 inches high). thanks so much for videos on lacrosse ball techniques and stretches. Sooooo helpful. Much appreciated !!!!!!!!

When one starts hanging out with masters athletes, they start to seem pretty normal, don't they? ;) Expectations out in the world at large tend to be . . . a little low.

Kudos for getting in there and working at it. While I don't compete much anymore, I'm still working for improvement, too.

I hope you get relief with your piriformis from the suggestions!
  • successgal1
    successgal1 Posts: 996 Member
    Options
    I use one of the xtra large dog toy tennis balls.