What's your budget?

Options

Replies

• jessdeweerdt
    Options
    My husband and I operate on $50 - $60 a week.. it's a struggle at times. We have to do meal planning to stay in line.. we plan 5 meals and count on leftovers or occassional meals with in-laws to make it last. Junk food is actually quite expensive, so it has been somewhat easy to cut back on that. We also use produce stands, which is a huge money saver. If meat is on sale we get extra and freeze. My husband actually uses $15 - 20 of the budget on things that he eats that I'm not (junk, cereal, juice). We also try to freeze soup if we make it, since there is always extra of that. It's just a matter of making it work. It's certainly not easy, but you do what you got to do :)
  • taso42_DELETED
    taso42_DELETED Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I don't know. I bet if I did the math I would be shocked. We try to shop for the best bargains, but also aim for the highest quality food. I'm sure food is the biggest expense after the mortgage payment. It's worth it.
  • sakus32
    sakus32 Posts: 101
    Options
    I just had this same conversation a few weeks ago w/a co-worker. I feed a family of four on about $500 per month. A majority of what we eat is fresh veggies and fruits. We only eat beef once a week, chicken and fish is our majority. I get legs and thighs and then skin them, more bang for the buck. As for our fish, we eat alot of it. Shrimp, yellow fin-tuna (seconds are less than half he market price of steaks), salmon and/or steel head trout. I try and base our dinner plates on ruffage of some-sort, such as romaine, spinach, and/or iceberg. Almost none of our veggies food is frozen, unless its popsicles or skinny cow. We drink crystal light, water, or milk. I allow my kids to pick out one box of cereal per/grocery visit, so of course it's usually sugar loaded. I feel that it costs more to buy processed foods, such as chips, chicken nuggets, soda, lean cuisine meals, kraft macaroni and cheese, etc. We replaced those expensive and space consuming foods w/fresh and I am glad. It makes me smile to see my kids run to the kitchen excited to eat fresh apples, bananas, and peaches, rather than cookies, crackers, or pretzels. Don't get me wrong, we have some snack stuff, but because our main focus is fresh, we eat fresh first and don't blow through the processed treats.
  • Sh1tsRainbows
    Sh1tsRainbows Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options
    $400 a month for food, household items, dog food, and 4 people
  • Ashonym
    Ashonym Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Wow, thanks for the replies everyone! Hey I'd love to know WHERE the hell produce delivery programs are. We have a lot of farmers markets but like I said I have no control. He doesn't carry cash and as far as we know farmers markets don't take ebt cards. I will pass on the tips though - much appreciated.
  • Dtho5159
    Dtho5159 Posts: 1,054 Member
    Options
    We spend between $50-100 a week for a family of 4 and 3 kitties. Some weeks we spend less, some more. Just depends on the sales. Last week was a really good stock up week for me and hubby had a little overtime so I really stocked up. I think I spent $115 total. We typically live paycheck to paycheck and I do coupon and stockpile non perishables so if we did have an emergency week, we COULD survive without spending a dime on food one week.
  • stephyy4632
    stephyy4632 Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    family of 4 two adults and two small kids ( age 6 and 4 ) I spend between 200-250 every other week on average

ETA-- about 20.ish of that cost go`s to my older daughters pediasure drinks she is underweight and needs the extra and those little drinks are pricie I try to get them at sams club when I can but she only like the strawberry flavor so sometimes I have to spend alittle more and get it at a regular store
  • hush7hush
    hush7hush Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    I average like $30-50 a week, depending on how much I actually buy, and what I plan to cook for the week.

I think I could afford more, that's just what I end up needing.

It's just me, so I never expect to spend much.
  • ak_in_ak
    ak_in_ak Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    i try to keep it under $125 a week for my boyfriend and I. That is what it was this week but that included $20 in steaks and $10 for beef jerkey which we normally wouldn't buy. Food is very!!! expensive in Alaska. A 8 oz thing of organic blueberries was $7 bucks!
  • christy_frank
    christy_frank Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    OMG that is really low budget. I wish!!! We spend about $1000/ month on food. Of course I am a family of 6 but my 4 kids don't eat much and 5 days/ week I don't feed them lunch. We don't eat packaged foods. Our meat is $$$ because 1# of hamburger 95% lean is $5/ pound and I won't buy chicken with rib meat so that's $$$ too. I guess with a budget like that I would just watch portions, no junk food and make sure you buy frozen veggies, not canned. One good thing.... Water is free. Refill your bottle.
  • pnieuw
    pnieuw Posts: 473
    Options
    We buy all of our groceries on our Visa card (to get 2% cash back) and in July, we spend $615 for our family of three (ten year old boy). This includes all household items, too, like laundry soap, so food is probably $550 a month.

We ate out once in July, and I take my lunch to work every day, so that covers all meals for us all month. Works out to 270 meals, or about $2 each meal, plus all our snacks. Not bad.

Healthy eating is expensive, though. Box of Kraft Dinner is 99 cents. Proper salad, lean protein and some fruit or veg costs more, but it so much better tasting, too!
  • SparkleShine
    SparkleShine Posts: 2,001 Member
    Options
    UGH! I know I spend too much! For my husband and I and our 2 kids I spend at least 150.00 a week. I'm not very good at couponing though. :)
  • letsdothis2010
    letsdothis2010 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Grocery shopping is so depressing for me. It's just me and my boyfriend, but I swear we spend about $400-ish a month. Thankfully we split that! We don't even eat a lot of processed foods (usually cereal, yogurt, granola bars). We just eat a lot of healthy food (1300 & 1800 calories respectively)....and it's so expensive.
  • cedarhurst2006
    cedarhurst2006 Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    Being unemployed, I try to strategically shop. I will shop at Trader Joes for certain things, Almond Butter, but go to Aldis to get alot of my produce and paper products and baking ingredients. Coupons, coupons, coupons!!!
  • midwesthiker
    Options
    $300 a month for my husband and I and our college age daughter and our pets (2 dogs & 3 cats). About $50 of that is spent on the pets!! (4 of them are old so when they are gone we are staying with 1 pet)

For meat: I buy chicken when on sale and freeze it. We buy our beef 1/4 a cow at a time. We get venison from my brother in law, usually one or two deer a year. My father in law gives us fish a few times a year and we sometimes go fishing. (But I hate cleaning them!) Anything else is purchased on sale. I am lucky I have a large upright freezer to store it all in.

I buy veggies, fruit, and dairy each week at whichever store has them on sale. I also am not picky on type or brands - I get the sale kind. I also garden, and can all of the tasty treats I grow. I have raspberries in the freezer already to use the rest of the year. Green beans are just starting and I will freeze those. Peas should be up next. :)

I buy rice, cereals, baking stuff only on sale with a coupon and try to hit double coupon days if I can. My goal is to save at least 20% of the total with sale/coupon. Some weeks I hit up 3 stores, but they are all in a 2 block radius so I don't feel too bad driving there. If it is a really good sale I go a few times that week on my way home - usually do this when chicken is on sale due to a one package per person limit.

I make most food from scratch and bake my own bread. I also work full time, take care of the house and weed the gardens and flowerbeds every week. I am a busy person, but I find that it is very rewarding to eat the stuff that I made rather than something from a box or a freezer bag. :)
  • epoint
    epoint Posts: 88
    Options
    There's a program in place in Georgia for farmer's markets to accept EBT cards:

http://ebtfarmersmarket.com/node/4

Maybe your state does it too? Doesn't hurt to check. But as far as the food delivery goes, I belong to a Community Supported Agriculture (CSA) and I get fresh veggies/fruits for $15 a week. Not delivered directly to my house, but the pick-up point is only about 10 minutes away so no big deal for me to pick it up. It has really lowered my food budget because I try to base a lot of meals on that delivery, plus it inspires me to shop for more veggies and fruits in my local Super-H Mart. Do you have one of those nearby? They have great prices on produce.
  • fabulouslyfun
    Options
    For our family of 4, we spend at least $800 per month (includes paper products, soap etc).

I whine and gripe about it every month. I know that we could eat cheaper, but I don't want to sacrifice the healthier stuff. I tend to buy the better cuts of meat, fish, vegetables and fruit even when not in season.

I notice with a lot of healthier food, ie Peanut butter, bread, cereals etc... the more fiber, less sugar or fat, is more expensive and in a smaller package.

Interestingly, when in Washington last month (we are in BC, Canada) stuff like granola bars, jam, condiments, cheese were way cheaper especially when on sale. I came back with about 8 boxes of granola bars and a bunch of mustard!
  • fitby2012
    fitby2012 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    My husband, toddler, and I probably spend about $90 per week on food. If they ate more of what I eat, maybe $65.
  • AmyEm3
    AmyEm3 Posts: 784 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I don't know. I bet if I did the math I would be shocked. We try to shop for the best bargains, but also aim for the highest quality food. I'm sure food is the biggest expense after the mortgage payment. It's worth it.

Sheesh, yeah I know we spend a lot but I haven't added it up. We bought a 1/4 cow from a neighbor a few months ago so we haven't been buying red meat lately. My husband goes deer hunting and fishing when he has time. I've been trying to cut back on our expenses but it still seems like we spend a lot. I have a vegetable garden and try to can/preserve/freeze as much as possible. I've been trying to make bread and other stuff homemade more often. We have our own chickens for eggs. But we live in a rural area and the other food costs are $$$$. Just under $5 for a gallon of milk. We're a family of 5 with three kids who seem to eat a TON lately. :) If I had to guess, I'd say we spend about $500 per month and that includes stuff like toilet paper, etc. It is worth it that my kids eat well though so we sacrifice in other areas.
  • cedarhurst2006
    cedarhurst2006 Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    ...and I'm not talking about calories. :P I was looking at a food picture thread and it really made me curious. I mean, I know there is a lot of diversity here, and it would seem in today's society your wealth equates to your food's health factors. So, what's your monthly food budget? How do you shop so that you can eat healthily enough, if your budget is on the low side?

I live off of foodstamps with my daughter and her father, and he inputs his money as well. But he also does all of the shopping, so I get zero say/ability in choosing what I have in the kitchen, since I'm totally dependent at this point in my life. It's a struggle. I am guessing about 300.00 is what goes into our food buying, per month, including stamps, for all three of us.

Search the subject "Mug Bread" in this forum. Healthy and cheap and a filling bread/muffin. The Flaxseed meal package was $2.99 and the rest of the ingredients are pretty inexpensive. I also like it because it is quick & healthy.