Beets anyone??

Options

Replies

• rockymir
    rockymir Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    Do you have them raw? I add one into my protein shakes (along with spices) to make a red velvet shake.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    I like raw or lightly steamed beets finely chopped and seasoned with olive oil, lemon juice and salt.
  • jedahnke
    jedahnke Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I've never cooked the stalks, I'll have to try that -- thanks for the info!

I don't like the canned pickled beets that are often at salad bars, but I absolutely love roasting them. Like many here, peeling, cubing, and roasting with oil, S&P is classic (though I use avocado oil or something with a higher smoke point than olive oil, since I like to roast veggies at 400 or 425). For something special, I will take the roasted beets and toss them with fresh rosemary, thyme, and goat cheese.

If you have golden beets, they are fantastic roasted with fennel and onion. You can season with as little as oil, S&P; you can also add a little balsamic or other vinegar, but I wouldn't go too complicated so you don't overwhelm the flavors of the veggies.
  • Gisel2015
    Gisel2015 Posts: 4,145 Member
    Options
    I get in the market Melinda's beets (Produce section), that are already cooked. My mother's salad recipe, as I remember it and how I prepare the beets, is as follows:

Beets, avocado, boiled potatoes, hard boiled egg, and tomatoes. Seasoned with salt, pepper and olive oil, and couple of times I added cooked shrimp for more protein power. It could be a nice side dish or complete meal.
  • OldHobo
    OldHobo Posts: 647 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    Like many said, I like them roasted.
    • Scrub
    • Wrap in foil with a little olive oil if you want to
    • Bake at 375º for 45 to 90 minutes depending on size
    Let them cool and store, still in foil, in the refrigerator. When you're ready for them the skin peels off easily with your fingers mostly. Good in salads or just sliced and eaten with a little salt.

Sweet and Salty! :)
  • ShinyFuture
    ShinyFuture Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    I "roast" beets in my crockpot - I just wrap them in foil (not required, but makes clean up easier). You can rub them with oil first, or not. It's hard to make a mistake. I cook them on low, 6-8 hours. The skin slips off easily and they are ready for anything.
  • suzyjmcd2
    suzyjmcd2 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    I use a spiralizer or julienne peeler to make beet noodles and sauté lightly along with some carrot noodles. Then I make simple sauce from powdered peanut butter, lime juice and a little coconut aminos (similar to soy sauce - much less sodium and sweeter - found in aisle with soy sauce) and drizzle it on, mixing well. Sounds like a strange combination, but trust me, it is a delicious, filling, hugely flavorful dish!!!!!

I also love to pickle them (I used canned beets for this) and put into my salads. I don't add any sugar - I just add vinegar to the beet juice and put it all in a big mason jar. Sometimes I hard boil eggs and add them (peeled) to the jars, too. In a day or so, you've got beautiful purple eggs, flavored with the pickled beet juice. Also delicious in my salad or as a snack. And I find I use far less salad dressing when I have pickled beets on hand!
  • SarahBelleT1978
    SarahBelleT1978 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I make beets shots that are amazing! I juice 6-7 beets, 3 lemons and an inch of ginger...I then divide them up into 3 oz mason jars! I do one shot after breakfast and another before my afternoon workout! They give me a ton of energy and I highly recommend them!
  • corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    Options
    Juice. Smoothie. Slow roasted.
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    so so good, I do soup and eat it cold or hot. lowers blood pressure right away!
  • rainbow198
    rainbow198 Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    I make a protein smoothie a couple times a week that uses a small raw beet, cranberries, any berries I have on hand, 1/2 banana, a handful of greens, hemp protein powder, add-ins such as hemp seeds, collagen powder, splash of aloe vera juice etc. and water. It's low in calories, very filling and it takes me about an hour to finish.

It's delicious and with a very pretty colour.

I also make Polish beet soup which is yummy.
  • Kadoober
    Kadoober Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    I roasted one red and one yellow beet last night, and I'm a bit obsessed with this new (to me) preparation.
    I cut them up into about 1 inch chunks, tossed them with about 1/2 Tbsp of coconut oil, and then took 1 tsp salt, 1 tsp garlic powder and 1 tsp rosemary and ground that up together and sprinkled it over the beets. I roasted them at 400 degrees for about 25 minutes.

I had made them to take for lunches, but ate about half of them right off the pan. They are delicious!
  • missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member
    Options
    My very favorite is pickled beets.
    As so many others stated here, we like them roasted also. Salt, pepper & EVOO. They are really good paired with fennel.
    I have never tried them raw, but think I may try them on a salad.
  • tess5036
    tess5036 Posts: 942 Member
    Options
    Beet chips :)
  • goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    Options
    We have been buying them precooked at Costco (just heat and eat), but recently have found them raw but spiralized in the grocery store and they cook up quickly. We also make a raw beet protein powder "pudding" in the Vitamix with a few dates in there to sweeten it. Oddly good. Tastes like it's birthday cake flavour.
  • Lift_Run_Eat
    Lift_Run_Eat Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    Not plant based, but my favorite is baked with some goat cheese!!! YUM!
  • AudreyJDuke
    AudreyJDuke Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    Trader Joe's has great vacuum sealed beets, use them in salads
  • gentlygently
    gentlygently Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    Try slices of raw or cooked betroot with lots of mint - and yoghurt too if you want. Very good combo.

Or 'pop' lots of mustard seeds in a small amount hot oil and pour over matchsticks of raw betroot. Delicious.

Or add cooked beets to corn beef hash - fab

Or use in chocolate cake (honest!)
  • curiousgp
    curiousgp Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Hello! So, I really love the taste of beets. I have always loved canned picked beets, and now I love store bought beet chips. I am trying my best to eat plant based and make everything myself so I can try to “eat clean.” I have asked a vegan friend of mine for her best beet preparation, and she doesn’t like beets! I made an oven roasted beet recipe I found online and it scorched! I really really want to buy an prepare my own beet snacks but I need some advice on how to go about that for something tasty. I appreciate any advice from any fellow beet eaters :)!

beets have a lot of sugar - hence easy to scorch - roast at 450 - coat well w/ olive oil and season. If they are boiled and peeled prior to roasting they taken roughly 10 minutes in a well heated oven.

Grated beets make a great salad too! A little OJ, some olive oil and sea salt.

They also make a great "soda". Look up beet kvass.
  • Dame_sans_merci
    Dame_sans_merci Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I love beets and recently decided to do my own. I bought a bunch of 5 raw beets from a local farm shop and they still had their full leafy greens attached (some places trim these off but they are really tasty)....I digress.

Heat your oven to 200c, trim the leafy greens off, but leave a bit of the stalk on as it makes it better to hold later. Using a veggie brush or stiff nail brush, give the beets a good scrubbing to remove any dirt under running water. Then wrap each beet in its own foil parcel (don’t dry the beets, the remaining water helps them to not dry out when cooking). Put the beet parcels on a tray and roast in oven for approx. 1 hour or until a skewer goes through easily. Cooking time depends on size, my beets are usually 2-3” diameter.

Once cooked, remove and open parcels to let them cool for enough time to handle them. You can use kitchen paper towel to ‘wipe’ the soft skin from each beet rather than needing to peel them.

I store them whole in a sealed container in fridge for a week. If you want to eat some warm, make a dressing using horseradish mustard loosened with a drop of milk or water. Otherwise experiment with vinegar or citrus based dressings. I like a dash of honey with some chilli flakes before adding something sour like balsamic vinegar, orange juice or pomegranate vinegar as the sour base.

Now the greens. Trim the woody red stalks off up to the leaves (if the stalks are thin then you could keep some of them), chops the leaves and sauté with good quality olive oil, sea salt, chilli flakes, pepper and crushed garlic. The leaves are like spinach/kale so wilt down really quick. They are slightly bitter so pair well as a side to a sweet tomatoey homemade aubergine (eggplant) parmagian.....drooling now