Low carb on a budget.

Miss_Snow_White
Miss_Snow_White Posts: 64 Member
I am currently on a medical leave from work so my budget is tighter than usual. Just looking for some simple (with inexpensive ingredients) low carb ideas. I'm kind of chicken and veggied out lol.

Replies

• jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Tough to do. Carbs are cheap.

How about exploring cheaper protein options? When money was tight I made sure I never ran out of eggs.

Theres tofu, chicken thighs, and all the pulses. Try preparing beans and lentils from dry.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Cheaper veggies include carrots, cabbage, and frozen.
  • gymprincess1234
    gymprincess1234 Posts: 493 Member
    Yep, lentils are high protein, imo filling and delicious
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Whole eggs. Buy full fat dairy, fattier meats/fish etc so you don't have to add extra fat.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    Yep, lentils are high protein, imo filling and delicious

They are also higher carb...
  • alicebhsia
    alicebhsia Posts: 178 Member
    edited February 2018
    south beach sandwiches. just sandwiches with lettuce as the bread. i make mine with swiss cheese, tomato, lettuce and a little mayo, salt and pepper. you could add deli meats if you wanted. great value sliced packaged cheese is really cheap at Walmart lately if you have one nearby that sells groceries.
  • Mariapurplehair
    Mariapurplehair Posts: 2 Member
    Egg whites with some spinach and you can add some mushrooms. This is high in protein !
  • livingleanlivingclean
    Egg whites with some spinach and you can add some mushrooms. This is high in protein !

But, low carb generally means high fat. If you're on a budget, why not save money buy using the yolks as well, getting extra nutrients and calories, instead of chucking them in the bin?
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    I wouldn't do anything lower than moderately low carb if money was really tight. I don't now, and money is just kinda tight. I save money by planning meals, cooking at home, looking for great bargains, avoiding waste.
  • Miss_Snow_White
    Miss_Snow_White Posts: 64 Member
    alicebhsia wrote: »
    south beach sandwiches. just sandwiches with lettuce as the bread. i make mine with swiss cheese, tomato, lettuce and a little mayo, salt and pepper. you could add deli meats if you wanted. great value sliced packaged cheese is really cheap at Walmart lately if you have one nearby that sells groceries.

That's an awesome idea. Sounds yummy