Chinese takeaway

Options
What should I get from a Chinese takeaway on a diet??

Replies

• megtheeggo
    megtheeggo Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    What should I order from a Chinese takeaway?? (They do the normal “English meals” too or anything
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    Options
    If you want low calorie, my go to is steamed veg (broccoli carrot cauliflower whatever they have) and steamed chicken with sauce on the side.
  • goodbyemyfatness
    goodbyemyfatness Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    LOL what did you pick? If it's Chinese "fast food" go for the NON SAUCED meat options, plain rice (if you're allowed carbs), veggies. But it's all loaded with salt, no matter what you pick. Good luck!
  • Babs2Baby
    Babs2Baby Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    steamed veggies, avoid the noodles, avoid anything heavy in sauce or fried.
    I normally do a steamed veggie with plain teriyaki chicken.
  • PixelPuff
    PixelPuff Posts: 901 Member
    Options
    You can ask for the sauce on the side if a restaurant, too. Teriyaki chicken with veg, sauce on the side... You control how much sauce is in the dish.
  • kenyonhaff
    kenyonhaff Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    Something with uncoated meat and steamed veggies... Beef and broccoli is usually kinda safe. Watch the rice portions.
  • megtheeggo
    megtheeggo Posts: 34 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    My family are getting a Chinese tomorrow does anyone know the best options to eat?? My family order rice, sweet and sour chicken balls, special chow mein, chips and a curry with chicken (not sure on the name)
    Thankyou :)
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    It depends what you hope to achieve. Research the menu of the place and choose how much of what you will get, then stick to your plan.
  • alicebhsia
    alicebhsia Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    your best bet will probably be to stick to the curry chicken
  • steveko89
    steveko89 Posts: 2,217 Member
    Options
    I've always been partial to General Tso's or Sesame Chicken. Yes, the chicken is breaded but at least it's still protein. I also strongly suggest weighing your portion for accurate logging, most of the entries for chinese food are very generic.
  • Crafty_camper123
    Crafty_camper123 Posts: 1,440 Member
    Options
    MooGu Gai Pan, Steamed veggies and chicken, and buddah bowls are all good lower calorie options. Otherwise, eat what you want, but try not to overeat.
  • krfitmom
    krfitmom Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I read some examples of Chinese food calories and noticed that beef and broccoli is very low.
  • DX2JX2
    DX2JX2 Posts: 1,921 Member
    Options
    steveko89 wrote: »
    I've always been partial to General Tso's or Sesame Chicken. Yes, the chicken is breaded but at least it's still protein. I also strongly suggest weighing your portion for accurate logging, most of the entries for chinese food are very generic.

I will also admit to a love of General Tso though do have to say it is pretty much the worst possible dish you can choose from the menu! It's a fried sticky sweet calorie bomb!
  • steveko89
    steveko89 Posts: 2,217 Member
    Options
    DX2JX2 wrote: »
    steveko89 wrote: »

I will also admit to a love of General Tso though do have to say it is pretty much the worst possible dish you can choose from the menu! It's a fried sticky sweet calorie bomb!

No doubt, General Tso's w/ white rice comes in 950-1000 calories for me, but that's why you weigh and log it. Idk about most people, but we only have one local Chinese place from which we order. Get it once and know the specific weight and calories it doesn't vary too much from time to time which makes it easy to pre-log at least a ballpark number from the last time you ordered and plan your day accordingly. I've also come to the conclusion if I'm going to eat off-script making a less-than-ideal food choice to begin with, I'm not going to worry about rearranging deck chairs trying to order something only mildly-moderately healthier that I don't enjoy as much. There are times I don't hit my target deficit but I can still usually at least stay under maintenance. As long as it remains an isolated incident (maybe 1-2x/month) it doesn't make that big of a difference in the grand scheme of things.
  • josette06
    josette06 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Szechuan Chicken with a side of veggies or Chicken and Broccoli. I am not a fan of plain rice, so subbing veggies works for me. The place I get Chinese food has the calorie counts posted, thankfully.
  • vingogly
    vingogly Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    My approach to Chinese takeout/takeaway is: eat reasonable serving sizes, don't slather your rice with sauce (which is where a lot of the stir fat oil probably ends up), and avoid the high-calorie fried "starters" like egg rolls and crab rangoon. Which given the cream cheese filling isn't exactly Chinese, anyway.
  • AMC110
    AMC110 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I ended up going to a chinese buffet instead. I limited myself to 1 plate but didn't opt for the 'healthier' options. I had some fried rice, stir fried noodles, char sui pork, crispy duck, a fried chicken skewer, a slice of prawn toast, 2 vegetable spring rolls, sweet and sour chicken and salt and pepper chicken pieces. I logged it at around 1,000 calories but my partner doesn't think it was that high.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,979 Member
    Options
    AMC110 wrote: »
    I ended up going to a chinese buffet instead. I limited myself to 1 plate but didn't opt for the 'healthier' options. I had some fried rice, stir fried noodles, char sui pork, crispy duck, a fried chicken skewer, a slice of prawn toast, 2 vegetable spring rolls, sweet and sour chicken and salt and pepper chicken pieces. I logged it at around 1,000 calories but my partner doesn't think it was that high.

You're right. Depending on the portion sizes and the amount of oil/fat consumed, it was easily 1k+ in cals.
  • jumpsquats
    jumpsquats Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Best you can do with a Chinese takeaway is just eat a smaller portion, nothing is really going to be particularly ‘healthy’. Avoid the chips, get boiled rice if you have to and just a main of a vegetable or meat main, preferably not too saucy or fried.