How did you get motivated once and for all??

Options
Hey everyone! Hope you are well. Any tips about how you got motivated and stuck to it. Did you have a "wake up" call moment and never turned back? I have been starting and stopping for years, no lie. I have had times where I thought "I am serious this time.." What does it take to be truly motivated and disciplined? Thanks for your input.

Replies

• estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options
    I got an obesity-related health issue and decided that I didn't want the rest of my life to be dealing with flare-ups. Weight loss (and compression stockings) control it. There's no cure, but I haven't had a major flare-up in over a year and I've dropped just under 100 lbs.
  • Meelisv
    Meelisv Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    Everyone probably has their "wake up call" moment.
    Like if you discover that a 6XL t-shirt doesn't really fit you anymore, you start to think a bit. And if you step onto a scale after quite some time and discover that a scale with 150kg max. weight gives an error, you might get that "enough is enough" push.
    True story - both happened to me.
    Sticking to it is actually hard, at least for me. As probably most people I have been yo-yoing quite a bit. Specially since I'm a stress rate and if I hit more difficult or stressful period it can get bit out of hand. Thankfully I have managed to pull myself together again after those moments...
    Mirror usually works wonders in such cases ;)
  • KeepRunningFatboy
    KeepRunningFatboy Posts: 3,055 Member
    Options
    Motivation isn’t always dependable. For me, I set some bigger goals like scheduling marathons and triathlons, then use smaller incremental goals to prepare for bigger achievements. I also really work on positive self talk, and meditation to work on smaller day to day objectives. For me, it took a lot of work just getting the right mindset, then the diet, weight loss and physical objectives fell into place.
  • 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,490 Member
    Options
    I don’t think once and for all motivation exists. Motivation comes and goes. Good habits are a big help. Also determination.
  • gymprincess1234
    gymprincess1234 Posts: 493 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    I didn't have a wake-up call, but I felt like I hit the rock bottom, literally felt trapped in a fatsuit and felt fed up above all limits. And them it clicked, that I can't live like that - I rose like a phoenix from the ashes
  • robinacasey
    robinacasey Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I have always resisted keeping a food diary but after having regained the 40 lbs I lost a few years ago, I'm trying it this time. Its only been 3 weeks but I've found it very helpful and motivating. I find myself saying, well, if I exercise for 45 min, I can eat more at dinner and not feel deprived. The diary keeps me honest about portions and calories. I'm losing weight, so its working so far.
  • ashleymzeh1010
    ashleymzeh1010 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    When I’m really honest the thing that motivates me last year to lose weight was pretty superficial. Last year around Christmas not one, not two, but THREE people mistook me for pregnant at work. I realized this wasn’t who I wanted to be and kicked into gear. I’ve lost almost 20 lbs and completely changed my body type. The thing is though the further I went down my weight loss journey the less it became about how I looked and more Bout how I felt. I feel powerful. I feel in control. I feel like I can do anything. It’s a magical place to be. So hang in there because if I can get there, so can you!!
  • franklin5280
    franklin5280 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Let me guess that you’ve fought this battle off an on? How did I know this was the right moment and I knew this is the time that the bad luck, bad health, accidents (over aggressiveness), bad nutrition, unawareness of calories and macros consumed, past trauma, the list goes on... That doesn’t matter.

To tell you how I knew. I could try to explain it. There’s a remote chance you might understand. The simplest explanation is I heard it inside. Not just a thought or an emotion. A knowing you know. If I called your best friend a thief. And you knew this wasn’t true. That’s what began echoing inside me.

Build, build, build your support network. Find successful people and find out what they did.

See, the only reason to do this that matters is you. Your worth it right? You have to be able to love yourself and deal with that voice that told you to come here. You’ve taken the first step, take one more, learn everything you can. Start thinking this is a Journey, not a destination.

Good Luck!