Regaining the weight fast, cannot stop overeating

Options
Hi everyone,

I need some help. I was on this site for a while but I left last May. I had almost hit my goal weight, losing almost 60 lbs. Since May however, I have just ended up gaining weight. I do okay for a few weeks to a month, eat 1300 calories or so, then I binge for 2-4 days, then I eat okay for a few weeks.

I have gone up from 107 lbs to 115 lbs. I look at myself, my fat that is growing by the day and this makes me want to just give up and binge eat. I think to myself, I've messed up anyway, so I may as well just eat what I want, what difference does it make? I then eat until I feel sick and I'm usually so full, it's painful.

I know this is an idiotic way of thinking, but every time I see how much weight I've gained, I just feel so down. Especially as I am often hungry on 1300 calories. If I stick to 1300 calories, I lose weight at a rate of 1 lb every 2-3 weeks, which is too slow when I'm counting down the days until weigh day. I never used to be hungry on 1200-1300 calories, but nothing helps now.

I've considered joining the gym, but I hate exercise and most of all, how much time it takes up. Walking to the gym in the cold, spending 2 hours there, then walk back. All in all, it can take around 3 hours. But, I'm desperate. If I were to join the gym this week, work out 5 days a week, how much weight could I expect to lose per week? I'm thinking of increasing my calories to 1350- 1400 maximum, that should be sufficient, I hope.

Replies

11718100 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Maybe you should speak to your doctor about this.

I haven't seen my doctor since I was a teenager, many years ago. I don't intend to go see her now, she's unhelpful and rude. I want to help myself, before I regain all the weight back.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Okay. 115 pounds is very little. How tall are you?
    Options

115 lbs looks very large on me as I'm only 5'1 and I have a larger percentage of fat compared to most people. I've never enjoyed exercise, so weight loss was exclusively through changing my diet only. Even at 107 lbs I had a lot of excess fat compared to most people that weight.
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    Options
    go to youtube, and look up Lyle McDonald. He did a video with a guy named mario about the psychology of weight regain. its a 2 part interview. Listen to it. It might help! I am still new to maintenance myself and am just learning about trending weight. I could go into things about leptin and ghrelin hormones, but do a little research. Best of luck! Wish me luck!
    Options
    psychod787 wrote: »
    go to youtube, and look up Lyle McDonald. He did a video with a guy named mario about the psychology of weight regain. its a 2 part interview. Listen to it. It might help! I am still new to maintenance myself and am just learning about trending weight. I could go into things about leptin and ghrelin hormones, but do a little research. Best of luck! Wish me luck!

Thanks, but I saw that video in October. I then did a 2-week diet break, joined the gym, worked out 5 days a week, and ate at what I thought were my maintenance calories. However, it didn't help. I felt hungrier than ever, even though I had increased my calories so much, then I binge ate for 3 days straight and went back to 1300 calories with additional weight to lose.

Hope you have better luck!
  • me0231
    me0231 Posts: 218 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    When I started at the gym, I was there for about 20min 3x a week. When you start out it doesn't need to be a 3h round trip 5x a week. It sounds like you would benefit from a recomp and putting some muscle on, so find a beginner lifting program and go from there.
  • kommodevaran
    Options
    sam2018100 wrote: »

115 lbs looks very large on me as I'm only 5'1 and I have a larger percentage of fat compared to most people. I've never enjoyed exercise, so weight loss was exclusively through changing my diet only. Even at 107 lbs I had a lot of excess fat compared to most people that weight.
    If you want to lower your body fat%, you have to do some exercise -but in the form of a structured strength training program. You don't have to use a gym, you can do it at home, using your own body weight. (I don't exercise much myself, so I can't help you there.)

But I think most of it is your mind, we are often our own worst critics. I would suggest setting your goal to maintenance, and aim to eat regularly, first. Get your relationship with food sorted. Then google/ask for help (on the exercise/fitness board) on body recomp.
    Options
    Gilgamesh wrote: »
    Hi Sam, I’m sorry to hear you’re having a difficult time. Sometimes eating has an emotional component.... are there other stressors in your life right now? Could seeking therapy, taking up meditation, or something else help?

Or maybe you’ve lost too much weight too fast? When I first used My Fitness Pal, I lost almost 60lbs and was hoping to get to 125lbs. But once I hit 135 I became food obsessed: I thought about food non-stop, I dreamt about eating every night, and once I stopped and stared at a window display of cupcakes for so long that my husband asked me if I was ok. I had to accept I would never be “skinny”, and found that being 145ish was a happier place for me food and life-style-wise.

And exercise can help, as it gives you more calories to eat that day. But maybe instead of joining a gym you could go for a walk daily? A shorter walk in inclement weather and a nice hour long stroll when the weather is good?

Hang in there. Remember that not everyone can be a super-model, and if you’re always hungry then you won’t be happy, and won’t be able to maintain.

Let us know how it goes, and feel free to share your feelings here. We are all in the same boat and I’ve found the MFP community to be a very supportive place.

I can't bear the thought of never being slim. I've been struggling with it so long, since I was 9/10 years old. I was almost there, but have messed up. I don't know why, but I know that I have to try again to get back at least to what I was last summer. I guess I ought to exercise, but I hate every form of it. I barely move all day and am constantly making excuses for why I can't take a walk, or workout at home or join the gym yet.

Also, I could never consider therapy - I like to keep my thoughts private and can't imagine it doing me much good anyway. Thanks for your help.
    Options
    me0231 wrote: »
    When I started at the gym, I was there for about 20min 3x a week. When you start out it doesn't need to be a 3h round trip 5x a week. It sounds like you would benefit from a recomp and putting some muscle on, so find a beginner lifting program and go from there.

I have a all or nothing mentality. I think if I'm making my way there, then I might as well make the most of it. Plus, I'm usually very motivated for a month or so, before I give up.
    Options
    kazgorat1 wrote: »

I haven't seen my doctor since I was a teenager, many years ago. I don't intend to go see her now, she's unhelpful and rude. I want to help myself, before I regain all the weight back.

If the current doctor you have is unhelpful and rude, you should probably find a different one. You should be getting an annual physical where they do standard blood work. Sometimes, they find things in the lab work that indicate something is not right, and waiting before getting treatment can severely limit options.

I don't even think they do checkups, not for people my age. Think that's for people 50+, or maybe 40+ in the UK. I've never had a reason to go thankfully, so I've just kept her.
  • kommodevaran
    Options
    me0231 wrote: »

I have a all or nothing mentality. I think if I'm making my way there, then I might as well make the most of it. Plus, I'm usually very motivated for a month or so, before I give up.
    Then you know what you have to work on - your all or nothing mentality. This is hard work, much harder than starving yourself. But also way smarter.
  • StevefromMichigan
    StevefromMichigan Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    kazgorat1 wrote: »

If the current doctor you have is unhelpful and rude, you should probably find a different one. You should be getting an annual physical where they do standard blood work. Sometimes, they find things in the lab work that indicate something is not right, and waiting before getting treatment can severely limit options.

I don't even think they do checkups, not for people my age. Think that's for people 50+, or maybe 40+ in the UK. I've never had a reason to go thankfully, so I've just kept her.

That's unfortunate. I have had annual physicals since my 20's, and something was spotted in my blood work recently, that if left unattended to, could have led to serious problems.
This discussion has been closed.