Pins and needles

Options
I have been randomly feeling brief pins and needles sensations in my hands and feet, it’s very random & happens occasionally. I read this is a stroke symptom, and being 50 lbs overweight, freaked me out. Has anyone heard of this as being a symptom of that? Or could it be something else

Replies

• lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 10,013 Member
    Options
    It could be a lot of things. You're not going to get an accurate diagnosis over the Internet. How long has this been going on? (Minutes, hours, days, weeks?
  • maria00200
    maria00200 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    A couple weeks
  • lynn_glenmont
    Options
    Doesn't sound like an acute problem that merits a trip to the emergency room, then. Make an appointment with your regular doctor.

Do you have normal sensation in your hands and feet, otherwise? (That is, if someone touches you there, do you feel it? Is a normal touch painful?)

If you press down on the skin and then release it, does the indentation disappear and the blood return (that is, if you press down so the area goes pale, does it return to a normal color quickly when you release)?
  • maria00200
    Options
    Yes I have normal sensation in my hands and feet and can feel someone touching it, no not painful. When I press down on it the color seems to return to a normal color quickly i think. Why?
  • MichelleSilverleaf
    MichelleSilverleaf Posts: 2,028 Member
    Options
    maria00200 wrote: »
    Yes I have normal sensation in my hands and feet and can feel someone touching it, no not painful. When I press down on it the color seems to return to a normal color quickly i think. Why?

Ask your doctor. No one on here is going to be able to diagnose you.
  • pomegranatecloud
    pomegranatecloud Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    Call up your doctor and make an appointment.
  • lynn_glenmont
    Options

Again, nobody can diagnose you over the Internet. Your responses just rule out a couple of things that would suggest going to the emergency room now instead of waiting to see your regular doctor (that doesn't mean you shouldn't go to an emergency room if you experience other urgent symptoms). Make an appointment, tell your doctor about the weeks of pins and needles, and let him or her examine you, ask you questions, and run any tests that seem necessary.
  • maria00200
    Options
    Ok Thanks
  • janesmith1
    janesmith1 Posts: 1,511 Member
    Options
    IDK if you can afford health ins in the USA but there’s also doctorondemand.com which are real physicians who will see you via your phone or ipad for less than the cost of a visit. However, just thinking about this, your best bet is to see someone in real life who can do some tests on you, so that’s prob your best bet. GL.
  • maria00200
    Options
    I tried the doctor on demand. It was neat to be able to speak to a doctor right away and it only cost me a $15 co pay. On the other hand, all she really said was make an appointment with your primary and get lab work done.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,525 Member
    Options
    Have vitamin B12 checked. B12 is necessary for healthy nerves. If your body doesn't absorb it properly then nerves get damaged and you first experience pins and needles. However, all those tests are only useful if you're not taking any vitamins/drinks/cereals fortified with B12 for at least 4 months as those raise the blood levels but are still not enough to give your body what it needs.

Thus get it checked out. If you're taking any multi-vitamins mention it to your doctor. If you got a good one he'll know how to interpret the test (most don't, quite honestly). If what comes back is low-ish (doesn't need to be deficient) insist of regular injections. If you can't absorb B12, then taking high dose tablets won't accomplish anything, which is this an essential vitamin. In the past this was called pernicious anemia, simply because it was deadly and could not be treated.
  • alicebhsia
    alicebhsia Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    it could be a sign of diabetes. do you have any other diabetes symptoms?
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    I tried the doctor on demand. It was neat to be able to speak to a doctor right away and it only cost me a $15 co pay. On the other hand, all she really said was make an appointment with your primary and get lab work done.

I imagine your Dr. will do a blood panel to rule out Diabetes as that's a symptom some can get. Good luck1
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,136 Member
    Options
    I have had it a lot in my hands, being morbidly obese and a normal weight.For me, it's poor circulation (Raynaud's). If you're really concerned, see your GP about it. And stop trying to diagnose yourself on the internet.
  • maria00200
    Options
    No other symptoms that could be related to diabetes. Yes i understand I need to see the dr but I’m trying to avoid it unless necessary because of this nasty flu season, I’m sure there are tons of germs there. Thanks all for the input.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    Yes i understand I need to see the dr but I’m trying to avoid it unless necessary because of this nasty flu season

It's necessary if you want a proper diagnosis. To block the flu, wear an N95 respirator, from any pharmacy or hardware store. :+1:
  • Gilgamesh
    Gilgamesh Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    My anecdotal story: My husband used to suffer from major stress, and one of the physical manifestations for him was tingling in his hands and feet. He had a full range of tests (I’m in Canada so insurance, etc. wasn’t a consideration for him). He opted to go into psychoanalysis to help him learn to deal with his stress and the symptoms disappeared.

I hope everything is ok with you and that you find out the cause. Take care.
  • lynn_glenmont
    Options

So a doctor gave the same advice you're getting from people on this thread -- go see a doctor in person and get appropriate diagnostic testing. Get a respiratory mask at the pharmacy first as someone suggested, if you're concerned about flu exposure.
  • mistypenningtongoin
    Options
    Definitely check with DR. Pins and needle feelings were one of my first signs of Multiple Sclerosis, but it could also be signs of different things. Definitely go get checked.
  • Rachelmilloy
    Rachelmilloy Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I eventually went to see my GP about tingling in my hands no feet - I was worried that I maybe had diabetes. No, not diabetes... it was related to the osteoarthritis in my spine - and pressure on the roots (in the spine) of those nerves that are in the hands and feet. Hmmm, who knew! No treatment prescribed. Good luck with yours!