Regaining the weight fast, cannot stop overeating

Options

Replies

• me0231
    me0231 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    sam2018100 wrote: »
    me0231 wrote: »
    When I started at the gym, I was there for about 20min 3x a week. When you start out it doesn't need to be a 3h round trip 5x a week. It sounds like you would benefit from a recomp and putting some muscle on, so find a beginner lifting program and go from there.

I have a all or nothing mentality. I think if I'm making my way there, then I might as well make the most of it. Plus, I'm usually very motivated for a month or so, before I give up.

Well if you go all out and then give up after a month, maybe a different approach is the way to go?
    11718100 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    I think I am starting to sound like a broken record because it feels like this is the third time or so I am saying this these past few days.

You are 5ft 1", 115lbs, BMI 22 You have body fat level goals but you're not currently willing to put in the work in terms of exercise to accomplish muscle gain (or even any exercise based on your description) and thus you are under muscled and over-fat by your description and perception (which may or may not be in agreement with what others would perceive)

But guess what. At BMI 22 you are, with a very high degree of probability, NOT MEDICALLY OVER-FAT.

So, you have some fat. But your current mind-set and hormonal levels are not allowing you to deal with it the way you probably should which is by exercising and strength training while eating at maintenance as you're definitely in the don't lose weight it's time to recomp stage.

So. What do you think is more important. Protecting your effective loss of more than 50lbs which has you smack dab middle of the normal bmi range... or aiming for an extra 8lbs which you've already proven you have a hard time maintaining?

And if you're having a hard time eating at maintenance when you're 8lbs more than your goal... what happens when you're at goal?

Yes, your hormones have reacted to the way you lost weight. They tend to do that. Their job is to get you to eat more especially if you are trying to restrict. They are currently winning. You're not helping things by continuing to restrict. Normalisation happens at maintenance.

Fight to maintain your current weight and/or allow a very very slow regain till your hormonal levels stabilise as opposed to desperately fighting to lose more and achieving the opposite because of emotional reaction to perceived failure.

It is time to regroup and consolidate your wins. You may even need to allow for a partial regain, or may have to hold the line for a year or two, or both, till things normalise.

I see what you're saying, I agree with it, but I only wish I could somehow get myself to do what I know I should. I have joined the gym, managed to go regularly for a month, maybe just over, then I give up. I've tried YouTube workouts at home, again managed to do it regularly for a month or so, then I stop and give up. Maybe I'm hoping for faster results, which of course won't happen in such a short time, maybe I struggle too much with the amount of effort working out takes, maybe I hate how time-consuming it all is and eating less just seems easier. I think it's a combination off all those reasons, but whatever it is, I cannot stick to it.

I've never been at maintenance. Not at 107 lbs as I still wanted to lose more weight, so I was still eating 1300 calories. When I binge eat, it's often a punishment of sorts for allowing myself to be as fat as I am, to be still trying to lose weight so many years on. I desperately do want to stop binge eating and I think the only way forward would be to exercise, allowing me a bit more calories so I don't constantly feel so hungry. When I gain weight, it's never in increments. I can't do 'normal eating' at maintenance as you suggest, not when I still have weight to lose. Also, I don't quite know what that is and when I did the 2-week diet break, it only resulted in further binge eating. Allowing regain is out of the question.
    Options
    When I started at the gym, I was there for about 20min 3x a week. When you start out it doesn't need to be a 3h round trip 5x a week. It sounds like you would benefit from a recomp and putting some muscle on, so find a beginner lifting program and go from there.

I have a all or nothing mentality. I think if I'm making my way there, then I might as well make the most of it. Plus, I'm usually very motivated for a month or so, before I give up.
    Then you know what you have to work on - your all or nothing mentality. This is hard work, much harder than starving yourself. But also way smarter.

I've only been working on it most of my life! Hopefully get there soon :smile:
  • me0231
    me0231 Posts: 218 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    Look up Paul Revelia and reverse dieting on youtube and the redefine healthy radio podcast. I know you don't want to gain and I know you want to reach a specific number, but the sad hard truth is that you won't get there. And if you do by crazy restriction you won't be able to maintain.

After so much time in a deficit you need to give your body a break and let the hormones and adaptive processes reverse.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    I think I am starting to sound like a broken record because it feels like this is the third time or so I am saying this these past few days.

You are 5ft 1", 115lbs, BMI 22 You have body fat level goals but you're not currently willing to put in the work in terms of exercise to accomplish muscle gain (or even any exercise based on your description) and thus you are under muscled and over-fat by your description and perception (which may or may not be in agreement with what others would perceive)

But guess what. At BMI 22 you are, with a very high degree of probability, NOT MEDICALLY OVER-FAT.

So, you have some fat. But your current mind-set and hormonal levels are not allowing you to deal with it the way you probably should which is by exercising and strength training while eating at maintenance as you're definitely in the don't lose weight it's time to recomp stage.

So. What do you think is more important. Protecting your effective loss of more than 50lbs which has you smack dab middle of the normal bmi range... or aiming for an extra 8lbs which you've already proven you have a hard time maintaining?

And if you're having a hard time eating at maintenance when you're 8lbs more than your goal... what happens when you're at goal?

Yes, your hormones have reacted to the way you lost weight. They tend to do that. Their job is to get you to eat more especially if you are trying to restrict. They are currently winning. You're not helping things by continuing to restrict. Normalisation happens at maintenance.

Fight to maintain your current weight and/or allow a very very slow regain till your hormonal levels stabilise as opposed to desperately fighting to lose more and achieving the opposite because of emotional reaction to perceived failure.

It is time to regroup and consolidate your wins. You may even need to allow for a partial regain, or may have to hold the line for a year or two, or both, till things normalise.

I see what you're saying, I agree with it, but I only wish I could somehow get myself to do what I know I should. I have joined the gym, managed to go regularly for a month, maybe just over, then I give up. I've tried YouTube workouts at home, again managed to do it regularly for a month or so, then I stop and give up. Maybe I'm hoping for faster results, which of course won't happen in such a short time, maybe I struggle too much with the amount of effort working out takes, maybe I hate how time-consuming it all is and eating less just seems easier. I think it's a combination off all those reasons, but whatever it is, I cannot stick to it.

I've never been at maintenance. Not at 107 lbs as I still wanted to lose more weight, so I was still eating 1300 calories. When I binge eat, it's often a punishment of sorts for allowing myself to be as fat as I am, to be still trying to lose weight so many years on. I desperately do want to stop binge eating and I think the only way forward would be to exercise, allowing me a bit more calories so I don't constantly feel so hungry. When I gain weight, it's never in increments. I can't do 'normal eating' at maintenance as you suggest, not when I still have weight to lose. Also, I don't quite know what that is and when I did the 2-week diet break, it only resulted in further binge eating. Allowing regain is out of the question.

A couple of things about the bolded. Also I have no answers for you other than you get what you put in your efforts, and opening your mind and trusting the process will get you very far and all this you are doing is for the long haul and it does take work..

1) If you did your diet break/refeed accurately you would have indeed eaten at maintenance. Did you just add back a very small amount of calories thinking this was taking a deficit break.

2) Because you still had more weight you wanted to lose at 107, you most likely did not allow yourself to trust the process enough to work on finding your maintenance, so the diet break you took was not a real diet break.

Diet breaks can reset many things, your hormones, this includes your hunger as well, it also about taking a mental break as well. If you have not read about it may you should. Just some thoughts.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10604863/of-refeeds-and-diet-breaks/p1
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    Options
    Look up Paul Revelia and reverse dieting on youtube and the redefine healthy radio podcast. I know you don't want to gain and I know you want to reach a specific number, but the sad hard truth is that you won't get there. And if you do by crazy restriction you won't be able to maintain.

After so much time in a deficit you need to give your body a break and let the hormones and adaptive processes reverse.

Paul Revelia is good! Layne Norton. DR Joe K. Mike Isreartol, yes I know I spelled it wrong, Aragon, Helms. All very smart people with years of fitness nutrition. I am currently working with Jame Kreiger who is brilliant in his own right.
    Options
    Mslmesq wrote: »
    kazgorat1 wrote: »
    Maybe you should speak to your doctor about this.

I haven't seen my doctor since I was a teenager, many years ago. I don't intend to go see her now, she's unhelpful and rude. I want to help myself, before I regain all the weight back.

If the current doctor you have is unhelpful and rude, you should probably find a different one. You should be getting an annual physical where they do standard blood work. Sometimes, they find things in the lab work that indicate something is not right, and waiting before getting treatment can severely limit options.

I don't even think they do checkups, not for people my age. Think that's for people 50+, or maybe 40+ in the UK. I've never had a reason to go thankfully, so I've just kept her.

Wtf? You're trying to tel me they don't have women doing a Pap smear until after 40 or 50?! I call b.s.

Perhaps they do, but I think it would be the nurse you'd see, not doctor. Also, I'm 21 so they don't for my age.
  • cmh308
    cmh308 Posts: 317 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options

I haven't seen my doctor since I was a teenager, many years ago. I don't intend to go see her now, she's unhelpful and rude. I want to help myself, before I regain all the weight back.

If the current doctor you have is unhelpful and rude, you should probably find a different one. You should be getting an annual physical where they do standard blood work. Sometimes, they find things in the lab work that indicate something is not right, and waiting before getting treatment can severely limit options.

I don't even think they do checkups, not for people my age. Think that's for people 50+, or maybe 40+ in the UK. I've never had a reason to go thankfully, so I've just kept her.

Wtf? You're trying to tel me they don't have women doing a Pap smear until after 40 or 50?! I call b.s.

Perhaps they do, but I think it would be the nurse you'd see, not doctor. Also, I'm 21 so they don't for my age.

Yes, they do. I saw my NHS doctor (not a nurse) once a year for a wellness visit and to check on my perscription when I lived in the UK age 18-24. Something is not adding up here.
    edited February 2018
    Options

A couple of things about the bolded. Also I have no answers for you other than you get what you put in your efforts, and opening your mind and trusting the process will get you very far and all this you are doing is for the long haul and it does take work..

1) If you did your diet break/refeed accurately you would have indeed eaten at maintenance. Did you just add back a very small amount of calories thinking this was taking a deficit break.

2) Because you still had more weight you wanted to lose at 107, you most likely did not allow yourself to trust the process enough to work on finding your maintenance, so the diet break you took was not a real diet break.

Diet breaks can reset many things, your hormones, this includes your hunger as well, it also about taking a mental break as well. If you have not read about it may you should. Just some thoughts.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10604863/of-refeeds-and-diet-breaks/p1

I ate around 1700 calories, during those almost 2 weeks, but the last 3 days of that 2-week break, I ended up binge eating. Prior to this diet break I was eating 1200 calories, so it was more than enough of an increase. I was also working out 5 days a week, hence the larger amount of calories.

Also, I wanted to add that the almost 60 lbs I lost was not fast weight loss. It took my almost 2 years to lose the weight slowly. I hadn't binged in over a year and a half, but once I did, since then it's been happening again almost monthly.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,718 Member
    Options
    I see what you're saying, I agree with it, but I only wish I could somehow get myself to do what I know I should.

@VintageFeline @collectingblues @Nony_Mouse
  • nexangelus
    nexangelus Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    psychod787 wrote: »

Paul Revelia is good! Layne Norton. DR Joe K. Mike Isreartol, yes I know I spelled it wrong, Aragon, Helms. All very smart people with years of fitness nutrition. I am currently working with Jame Kreiger who is brilliant in his own right.

Completely agree. People are quick on the woo button, but I'd certainly listen to these guys over a bunch of random strangers on a forum.

Whoa, random strangers who have been there and done that on this fitness site...this is getting silly now *frowns*
    Options
    cmh308 wrote: »

Yes, they do. I saw my NHS doctor (not a nurse) once a year for a wellness visit and to check on my perscription when I lived in the UK. Something is not adding up here.

The last time I saw my doctor was when I was 13/14, when I first joined up. I've rarely been sick, maybe the odd cold/flu, and I never take medication, not even paracetamol. I have never been since and have never been invited to a checkup. Even if I was, I would refuse. I don't like people invading my private space, I would never choose to go unless I was terribly unwell. Just the way some people are.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options

At a quick glance to me 1700 sounds low for maintenance, but I don't know your stats or anything about you weight loss history. I added some thoughts to what I saw briefly and reviewing some of your comments.

I would be curious what exactly you did after you ended the 1700 diet break to try and figure out what might be wrong health wise, etc as in maybe a check up with my doctor. I might also have started reviewing my diet/macros and exercise regime at length, cause there is an under lying cause/reason, could be diet, health/medical or psychological, etc.. Anyways good luck.
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    Options
    nexangelus wrote: »
    psychod787 wrote: »

Completely agree. People are quick on the woo button, but I'd certainly listen to these guys over a bunch of random strangers on a forum.

Whoa, random strangers who have been there and done that on this fitness site...this is getting silly now *frowns*

We might be strangers, but I think most people in the community care about each other. Even we have not met. I mean I got Woo'ed for stating the science behind part of what this young lady is going through. I can also state that I have/am still going through some of the things she is. Even the body dis-morphia! I actually talk to a therapist about it. I am not too proud to say it. It is hard for me still and it seems like I have more help/ resources than she does Dynamic weight loss, more than 30% of your body mass does certain things to people. I feel for her. I also think listening to other people can help. PAV888 seems to me to be a great resource! IMHO
This discussion has been closed.