Limited Abilities

Options
I need some sound advice. I am 68 yrs young and suffer from chronic back, hip, and knee pain which drastically limits my ability to stand for periods of more than 5 - 7 minutes, walk, run at all and bicycle. I am planning on starting to swim at the "Y" in the next town and would love suggestions on exercises I can do in the pool. I am open to getting some advice. Thanks, in advance.

Replies

• L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    Do they offer classes in the pool? They are fun.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    My Y has many different water classes and they are quite popular. Just walking through water is great exercise.!
  • Tblackdogs
    Tblackdogs Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    Are you trying to lose weight?
  • gentlygently
    gentlygently Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    Water 'jogging' is good (you 'run' in the water but in the deep end so your feet are not on the ground)

So is swimming of course! Lots of pools have beginner/refresher/improver lessons - in the uk at least - if you are not so confident or want more motivation. These really helped me get much more out if swimming - and you can learn lots of swimming 'drills' ideaa (eg kicking only, or one arm only) in lessons or on youtube. They can make a swim session more interesting.

Aqua exercise classes might suit - but also if you google water exercises you will get good ideas eg on youtube.