Actually GAINING Instead of Losing?! Discouraged in Bellevue

Options
2»

Replies

• Tblackdogs
    Tblackdogs Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    A few things...I'm 52, so in your age range. I'm only 5'4, so shorter than you. I'm eating between 1200- 1500 calories a day, not a lot of exercise and I'm losing about 1 pound per week. I think you should commit to weighing and measuring every single thing you eat and log it here. Also, maybe weigh every morning so you can get an idea of your fluctuations. Maybe the day you weighed you were retaining some water. Perhaps the next day or the day after that, you would have weighed less. No offense (I've been there) but instead of being discouraged, maybe really use this app and don't assume anything. It works, it really really works. (And most of all, don't eat below 1200 calories because your body needs fuel)
  • scoutsback
    scoutsback Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    @kshmama: Thank you for your concern. Actually, 1200 to lose a pound a week is not too little for a 54 yo woman: it's the intake recommended by MFP. Believe me: I"m not stressing my system; I'm feeling better than I have in years. (Btw: the effects of cortisol on weight loss/gain have not been proven. The theory sure did a lot for the supplement industry, though! Don't you wish they'd stop jerking our chains for a profit?)
  • scoutsback
    scoutsback Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    @1houndgal Thanks for the advice. For me, in the beginning, discipline to see initial effects is more important than variety. Fear not: I'll branch out.
  • amyepdx
    amyepdx Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    scoutsback wrote: »
    @kshmama: Thank you for your concern. Actually, 1200 to lose a pound a week is not too little for a 54 yo woman: it's the intake recommended by MFP. Believe me: I"m not stressing my system; I'm feeling better than I have in years. (Btw: the effects of cortisol on weight loss/gain have not been proven. The theory sure did a lot for the supplement industry, though! Don't you wish they'd stop jerking our chains for a profit?)

But 1 lb a week is too much when you are already at a healthy weight. Because 1200 is the lowest MFP will set you, if you change to .5 a week, your calories won’t actually go up much, but you’ll be able to sustain your deficit easier and healthier.