Work travel + peer pressure = weight loss speedbumps

Options
My job requires that I travel. Recently, the travel has been fairly extreme, at least for me. In the past month there has only been one week where I have not been on the road at least some portion of the week, and for the next several weeks it looks like I will be on the road at least part of each week as well.

I'm definitely happy that lately I have taken the steps to keep myself motivated to use the gym facilities whereever I have gone, at whatever time I can make it into them. And if one isn't available, I make the effort to at least get out and walk around for about an hour. I also do my best to make good eating choices.

An issue is many of the people from my team that I travel with are out of shape, and even though they act supportive of the cause, they tend to peer pressure myself or someone like me who wants to eat healthy when we go out to eat. And, they also tend to find places to eat that really don't have healthy options to begin with. I'm sure part of it is that they don't want to feel worse about their own choices, and probably deep down they don't want to see someone in the group succeed at becoming healthy because they themselves aren't becoming healthy. It sucks to say that, but I've actually heard that from members of other teams, that these individuals will "definitely not want to see you succeed in losing weight".

The issue is these are all people who have a direct influence on my career as well, so obviously it would be a bad move for me to just not go out with them.

Does anyone have any tips on what type of foods at restaurants would be a consistent healthier choice when it comes to entrees?

I'm also applying portion control in these situations when they come up (which is almost every day during business travel). Is there anything else I can do to keep up the positive work relations while still maintaining my dedication to my own cause?

Replies

• kathleennf
    kathleennf Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    I run into this as well. I have found the following things to help:
    1> If I don't have to eat ALL the meals out with them, for example I carry with me or stop at a drugstore and buy things like protein bars and fruit that make good and quick lunches or breakfasts.
    2> Specifically I try to avoid too much alcohol, dessert and snacks. I can carry around one drink or something for a long time and really they don't notice.
    3> Another thing is to not emphasize that I am doing it to lose weight or maintain my weight loss. You are right- they don't want to hear that. What is more acceptable is to say I just don't want to eat that much, I just can't eat so heavily so late (or so early), a heavy lunch makes me sleepy all afternoon etc etc. (I'm not saying anything untrue- those are all true statements.) That way it becomes clear that it is your preference and that you are not judging them or telling them what to do.
    Hope that helps! I'm going on a business trip in a couple days so looking forward to seeing what others advise as well.
  • TTHdred
    TTHdred Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    I understand where this can be frustrating and I see the dilemma. Obviously you want to succeed in your career and it sounds like a major part of “work” is the social aspect. I think a funny example of this is once I watched a comedy where the girl pretended to be a smoker so she could go on smoke breaks with the boss. It seemed all sorts of decisions, including promotions were happening out there. Not the same of course, but made me think of it! :smile:

First let me commend you on portion control. That is the best thing you can do when eating somewhere that is just flat out not clean. So keep that up to see if you can better at it. Maybe even get your box with your meal so you pack it away in advance.

Outside of that, my two suggestions. If you have to hang out with them, try barter. So, when they suggest place X for dinner/lunch and that place is unhealthy, see if you can jokingly say, ok, but only if we go to place Y tomorrow (Y being the healthy place). Try to make the conversation about trying a new menu or new foods rather than trying “healthier” foods. Heck, that sometimes works even with kids!

Second, I would try eating first. This is a little more awkward, but I would make a healthy run first…with enough time so I feel full. Then, when it is time to go out, you have something light or nothing at all. Just say you are full (beware of the “you starving yourself” comments. I had those a few times). This one would most likely be for dinner and not lunch though, but it may help.

Best of luck!
  • MrBrown72
    MrBrown72 Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    You sound like you work in the audio visual field.

I've found it's really not hard to keep myself working at staying in shape while maintaining a good relationship with the rest of the lumpy folks on the crew. I do go out and drink with them now and then while on the road but when it comes to food I make the better choices. Mostly they admire the determination. If they complain too much I offer a deal. I'll eat with you, if you work out with me in the morning.
  • Gulbuth
    Gulbuth Posts: 6
    Options
    All great suggestions. I will definitely be putting these into action. And soon, since it looks like I'm going to be headed out again this week. Thanks everyone.