HCG Diet - Not a Good IDEA!

Options
2»

Replies

• Gigi_licious
    Gigi_licious Posts: 1,185 Member
    Options
    When I first heard about the HCG diet, I was intrigued. I visited several websites that were selling HCG drops. One of my favorites raved about how fabulous the drops were, then in small print near the bottom of the site it stated that the drops were NOT recommended for human intake because although the people the HCG came from were tested for HIV & other diseases, there was no way to be completely sure that they didn't have these diseases.

Oh. My. God.

What a HUGE risk to take in order to get skinny.

I'll stick to the old fashioned way of a healthy diet & exercise to shed my unwanted pounds!

Wait, what? They suck something out of people then throw it in a bottle and sell it? Ew! I don't want to take other peoples body fluids, or tissue, or whatever they take to lose weight. If my options were that or stay fat, I'd stay fat!

Yes. HCG is a human hormone. It's produced during pregnancy, but is also produced in the pituitary gland of both males & females.

Oh Grody!! I don't want to put anyone pituitary gland under my tongue or be injected with it! I'll stick to Flinstone vitamins and eating better!!
  • PeachyKeene
    PeachyKeene Posts: 1,645 Member
    Options
    Sounds pretty dangerous to me. I think I will stick with my hardcore workouts, running, eating healthy foods, and tracking it on MFP. I hate to be negative, because I know some people do have a hard time losing, but it really seems like the lazy way.
  • PeachyKeene
    PeachyKeene Posts: 1,645 Member
    Options
    When I first heard about the HCG diet, I was intrigued. I visited several websites that were selling HCG drops. One of my favorites raved about how fabulous the drops were, then in small print near the bottom of the site it stated that the drops were NOT recommended for human intake because although the people the HCG came from were tested for HIV & other diseases, there was no way to be completely sure that they didn't have these diseases.

Oh. My. God.

What a HUGE risk to take in order to get skinny.

I'll stick to the old fashioned way of a healthy diet & exercise to shed my unwanted pounds!

Wait, what? They suck something out of people then throw it in a bottle and sell it? Ew! I don't want to take other peoples body fluids, or tissue, or whatever they take to lose weight. If my options were that or stay fat, I'd stay fat!

I've seen on the websites that sell them that they are produced using pregnant lady pee.

:sick:
  • k8edge
    k8edge Posts: 380
    Options
    I'm on the HcG modified 800/daily. Never any side effects and being limited has forced me to make smart choices. Now veggies are second nature to me. Getting fast results has kept me motivated too.

There's nothing wrong with this diet. It's done in 28 day cycles and is not intended for long term to stay on it. the weight doesn't just pile back on either. that's untrue. you should try it before you knock it.

If someone is obese then the weight loss of about 30 lbs in 30 days most certainly outweighs the continued neg. effects on their health.

Sorry, I won't starve myself... So yes, I will continue to knock it. So will the FDA and the educated population.
  • Jorra
    Jorra Posts: 3,338 Member
    Options
    http://ultimate-hcg-guide.com/category/hcg-info/how-is-hcg-made-hcg-info/

Figured I'd find the source of the pee claim:
    Urine for the purposes of harvesting hCG is collected via sterile procedure with a catheter, or by the “clean catch” method.

Yes, pee is sterile, that doesn't mean you're supposed to harvest it for hormones and inject it into other people.
  • dreanance
    dreanance Posts: 246
    Options
    I hope the fab sticks around a litte longer... I want to be able to sell my pee when I'm knocked up!
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    So do you think that they monitor those pregnant ladies to make sure that catch is really clean?
  • bunchesonothing
    bunchesonothing Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    http://ultimate-hcg-guide.com/category/hcg-info/how-is-hcg-made-hcg-info/

Figured I'd find the source of the pee claim:
    Urine for the purposes of harvesting hCG is collected via sterile procedure with a catheter, or by the “clean catch” method.

Yes, pee is sterile, that doesn't mean you're supposed to harvest it for hormones and inject it into other people.

Yes, and the clean catch method is basically, make sure the area is wiped down, pee a little into the toilet and then continue the stream into a cup... so that as little bacteria as possible from the outside area gets in the catch.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,709 Member
    Options
    Yep. It's a DESPERATE attempt to lose weight. And usually desperation ends up with other "side" effects when expectations aren't met.
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    as little bacteria as possible from the outside area gets in the catch.

This has got to be the quote of the day.

Hum, I wonder if this is how the ob's offices are making a couple of extra bones these days. You have to test the patients for various diseases and what not anyway, so I wonder if they've created a black market for that pee you leave in the little window and that's why they make you pee in a cup every single time you go for an appointment.
  • sarahlong09
    Options
    I hope the fab sticks around a litte longer... I want to be able to sell my pee when I'm knocked up!

hahah awesome!!!!
  • slimmer189
    slimmer189 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    anything worth having isn't easy! No diets here - Life Style Change Only!
  • whisperingdragon
    Options
    I think it's a strange diet. Really strange.

:ohwell:
  • ambermichon
    ambermichon Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    I know several people that have done this diet...none of which have kept the weight off, all of whom stopped their exercise routine and havent gotten back to it since you cannot exercise on 500 cals and all of whom are extremely tired all the time and cant seem to understand why. Also all of them have lost muscle...so while they got thinner it wasnt the good kind. PLEASE people take the time to do it the healthy, correct way!
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    I'm on the HcG modified 800/daily. Never any side effects and being limited has forced me to make smart choices. Now veggies are second nature to me. Getting fast results has kept me motivated too.

There's nothing wrong with this diet. It's done in 28 day cycles and is not intended for long term to stay on it. the weight doesn't just pile back on either. that's untrue. you should try it before you knock it.

If someone is obese then the weight loss of about 30 lbs in 30 days most certainly outweighs the continued neg. effects on their health.

It's not about fast results though.. its about doing it the safe and healthy way.. which sometimes means slow and drawn out, but you get to the same place in the end. Plus I eat 1670 calories a day and I make smart choices.. I just wasn't forced to make them. It was something I learned to do on my own, which is what worries about this diet.. when your off it, will you continue to make those smart choices or will you go back to old ways since its not forcing you anymore?

Bottom line, fad diets are just that.. fads. Eventually this one will go away just like every other one.. and then another crazy one will take its place.
  • garlic7girl
    garlic7girl Posts: 2,236 Member
    Options
    Amazing amazing amazing...I appreciate that. You will be called the INFORMER from here on out.