Food scale?

Options
Best food scales?

Replies

• mkyoungdds
    mkyoungdds Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    There are a million of them and they are all pretty similar. Find one that weighs in grams as well as ounces and party on. Personally, I just went to Amazon.
  • Meelisv
    Meelisv Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    Cheapest on ewith easy to read display from all angles and 1 gram accuracy.
  • CurvyPrincess66
    CurvyPrincess66 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    mkyoungdds wrote: »
    There are a million of them and they are all pretty similar. Find one that weighs in grams as well as ounces and party on. Personally, I just went to Amazon.

I was looking on amazon. I did get one from there last year but it killed batteries ao fast it was ridiculous. I saw one that calculates calories and stuff and i thought about getting it. But with MFP i dont think theres a point cuz its 49.99
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,964 Member
    Options

I was looking on amazon. I did get one from there last year but it killed batteries ao fast it was ridiculous. I saw one that calculates calories and stuff and i thought about getting it. But with MFP i dont think theres a point cuz its 49.99

If you're looking for specific recommendations, I like my Oxo Good Grips. I've had it for roughly 10 years, first using it for baking (so not every day), then for logging food multiple times a day for the last four and a half years. Batteries last a good while, and I find it easy to clean when I occasionally spill something or get crumbs on it. It has a tare function, weighs in grams or ounces, and you can pull the display out for easier viewing if you put a large dish or pot on it. It can weigh up to 11 pounds, which is convenient when using the recipe builder for a casserole or pot of stew.

But it's as expensive as the one you were looking at ($49.95 on Amazon, which seems like a good bit more than I thought I paid for it, but I may have gotten it somewhere else, since there's no record of it in my Amazon orders -- also, I guess the price could have gone up in 10 years). They have a similar scale that only weighs up to five pounds for $29.95, so if you don't cook batches of food that will last for several meals, I guess that would be an option.
  • suzyjmcd2
    suzyjmcd2 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    Ozeri Pronto Digital Multifunction Kitchen and Food Scale from Amazon. LOVE everything about it! Bought it 8 months ago and haven't had any problems with it. $14.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,389 Member
    Options

How can a scale calculate calories if it doesn't know exactly what's on it? Just get a normal scale that weighs in grams and has a tar function. Maybe look at the type of batteries. Don't go for button batteries if they are expensive in your place but AA batteries. Especially convenient if you have rechargeables.
  • CurvyPrincess66
    CurvyPrincess66 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    yirara wrote: »

How can a scale calculate calories if it doesn't know exactly what's on it? Just get a normal scale that weighs in grams and has a tar function. Maybe look at the type of batteries. Don't go for button batteries if they are expensive in your place but AA batteries. Especially convenient if you have rechargeables.

It has a Database like MFP Each food has a code in this book they give you. My last one took watch batteries and they were so expensive. I have alot of rechargeables for my game systems.
  • OldHobo
    OldHobo Posts: 647 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    I bought this EatSmart scale from Amazon 2½ years ago and am very happy with it. At $33 it costs a little more but is worth the difference to me because:
    • The large stainless steel platform is easy to keep clean and stuff doesn't fall off too easy. The one I had before had a much smaller round platform and getting bigger stuff to balance atop was tricky. I have set a whole raw turkey directly on the platform with no problems. Also, you can set a big dinner plate or skillet on it and still easily read the display and reach the two control buttons. With the old one, to weigh a big dinner plate I had to balance it atop a small bowl in order to raise everything up enough to see the display... unless the bowl, plate, and food exceeded the scale's weight capacity.
    • I like the 15 lb. capacity. That means I can weigh my food, still hot and in the heavy Dutch oven it cooked in. That makes setting the serving size for a whole recipe much easier.
    • Batteries last a long time and it uses a common size, AAA.
    May be wrong but the calculating calories thing seems gimmicky to me as are the claims that some scales can "weigh" volume measurements like cups or tablespoons.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    I have an Ozeri I got on Amazon three or four years ago for under $20. Have not had to even change the battery and it survived a move.

You want digital, a tare function, a plate rather than bowl top, and if you use large plates and bowls you want one where the display sticks out in the front a bit so it isn't unreadable when you put your typical plates on there.
  • cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »
    I have an Ozeri I got on Amazon three or four years ago for under $20. Have not had to even change the battery and it survived a move.

You want digital, a tare function, a plate rather than bowl top, and if you use large plates and bowls you want one where the display sticks out in the front a bit so it isn't unreadable when you put your typical plates on there.

^^this and make sure it can weigh at least 11 pounds or more so when you have recipes you can weigh the entire portion.
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,573 Member
    Options
    OldHobo wrote: »
    I bought this EatSmart scale from Amazon 2½ years ago and am very happy with it. At $33 it costs a little more but is worth the difference to me because:
    • The large stainless steel platform is easy to keep clean and stuff doesn't fall off too easy. The one I had before had a much smaller round platform and getting bigger stuff to balance atop was tricky. I have set a whole raw turkey directly on the platform with no problems. Also, you can set a big dinner plate or skillet on it and still easily read the display and reach the two control buttons. With the old one, to weigh a big dinner plate I had to balance it atop a small bowl in order to raise everything up enough to see the display... unless the bowl, plate, and food exceeded the scale's weight capacity.
    • I like the 15 lb. capacity. That means I can weigh my food, still hot and in the heavy Dutch oven it cooked in. That makes setting the serving size for a whole recipe much easier.
    • Batteries last a long time and it uses a common size, AAA.
    May be wrong but the calculating calories thing seems gimmicky to me as are the claims that some scales can "weigh" volume measurements like cups or tablespoons.

I have the scale to and have had it for a couple of years. I don't even remember changing the batteries in it.
  • daj150
    daj150 Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    Oxo Good Grips is great! My main reason for liking it aside from having both Grams and Ounces, is that the display can slide out, so if you have a large plate / dish on top, you slide the screen out and can easily see it.
  • ktekc
    ktekc Posts: 879 Member
    Options

If you're looking for specific recommendations, I like my Oxo Good Grips. I've had it for roughly 10 years, first using it for baking (so not every day), then for logging food multiple times a day for the last four and a half years. Batteries last a good while, and I find it easy to clean when I occasionally spill something or get crumbs on it. It has a tare function, weighs in grams or ounces, and you can pull the display out for easier viewing if you put a large dish or pot on it. It can weigh up to 11 pounds, which is convenient when using the recipe builder for a casserole or pot of stew.

But it's as expensive as the one you were looking at ($49.95 on Amazon, which seems like a good bit more than I thought I paid for it, but I may have gotten it somewhere else, since there's no record of it in my Amazon orders -- also, I guess the price could have gone up in 10 years). They have a similar scale that only weighs up to five pounds for $29.95, so if you don't cook batches of food that will last for several meals, I guess that would be an option.

They also have a 22 pound one. For those really big crock pots...
  • __TMac__
    __TMac__ Posts: 1,665 Member
    Options
    ktekc wrote: »

They also have a 22 pound one. For those really big crock pots...

I have the 22-lb one. I love it beyond reason.