Blowing 23 3/4 hours of discipline in 15 minutes - regularly

Options
Help me with ideas, guys. I lost 20 pounds 2 years ago and have kept it off, so I know I have it in me to do the last 30.

I eat a good breakfast, run 3.5k over lunch, eat a balanced lunch, cook a healthy dinner - and almost always at some point in the day I have 15 minutes of madness that takes me well over my goal of 1400 calories (1500 on run days). For those 15 minutes, I don’t care what I do to the plan.

Sometimes it’s an extra helping at dinner, sometimes it’s the birthday cake at work, sometimes it’s cheese and crackers just before bed. It’s not like I don’t treat myself- I usually eat a mini chocolate bar (85 calories or so) on work days. The surge of pleasure I get, not from eating the extra food, but from feeling RELEASED from all that discipline, is what I am after, I suspect. Anyone else struggle like this? Im really pissed at myself. It’s frustrating to be working against myself like this.

Replies

• rebeccamorgan58152
    Options
    I don’t have any advice but I understand where you’re coming from, having faced the same problem myself. I can only say that if you keep picking yourself up and trying again the next day, at some point it will stick. Perhaps your deficit is too high?
  • elfin168
    elfin168 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    i am inclined to say EAT more. The is no point trying to keep too high a deficient if you are going to blow it daily and keep spinning your wheels. Eat more. Eat more of the foods you enjoy also within your calorie budget
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    elfin168 wrote: »
    i am inclined to say EAT more. The is no point trying to keep too high a deficient if you are going to blow it daily and keep spinning your wheels. Eat more. Eat more of the foods you enjoy also within your calorie budget

This. If your calorie goal is too low it's very hard to stay within it everyday. Better to up your cals, lose a little slower, but lose something. The last 20 lbs are harder to lose and you don't have much margin. Once you can hit your goal you'll also feel better about yourself and that leads to success.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    what are your stats?

why so much 'discipline' that you have such joy at not doing it? that doesn't sound healthy and obviously isn't sustainable?
  • jodielariviere66
    jodielariviere66 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Some excellent advice here, guys. I’ll up my calorie limit and see if that makes it more do-able. Just thinking of doing that makes me feel good, so that’s probably a good sign.
  • jodielariviere66
    jodielariviere66 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    what are your stats?

why so much 'discipline' that you have such joy at not doing it? that doesn't sound healthy and obviously isn't sustainable?

I’m 52, and weigh 180. 150 is a reasonable goal, I think. I don’t know how else to approach weight loss except to be disciplined, but I’m baffled as to why I find it so hard to maintain. Maybe loosening the reins will help
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    This is what I've learnt after three years in maintenance, after losing 50 pounds: Nothing wrong with discipline, we all need discipline, no healthy plan in the world is so perfectly balanced and delightfully easy that you won't need discipline to stick to it. But you need a reasonable plan and a feeling of purpose, in order to stay disciplined.
  • lucerorojo
    lucerorojo Posts: 790 Member
    Options
    Either up your calories or take a diet break. When that happens to me I know I need a break for a couple of days. A cheat day (for me that's logging about 500 calories extra --about maintenance now, nothing too crazy) will keep me balanced.