Gnawing, shakey, empty feeling

Options
2»

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    claritea1 wrote: »
    Thanks very much for everyone’s times and responses!

A lot of to digest (buh dum tss).

I have wondered about it being a blood sugar issue. I am one of those people who’s blood sugar tends to plummet (at least by the feels of things) if I don’t keep something in my stomach at all times. I will need to bring it up to my doctor.

Today I had Raisin Bran and hot tea for breakfast. A couple hours later I had lunch consisting of a 6 oz steak, corn-on-the-cob, a medium salad with sweet tea (700 cal). About an hour later I felt FAMISHED and thus I posted this topic. I haven’t eaten since, instead just riding the feeling. It’s still there but not as severe. Dinner tonight will consist of some serious carbs. I have to.

One thing different this time around is that I am not willing to give up. I agree that I might not be able to handle a typical 20% calorie deficit just yet. I want to get there eventually though, so hopefully my body will quit its temper tantrum and adjust.

the 'serious carbs' might be part of the problem though...
  • claritea1
    claritea1 Posts: 23 Member
    Options

Seriously, is your period due? That could explain most of it.

Hmm. Might be, haven’t kept track but it is nearing. Will definitely pay attention to that. Thanks

• bwogilvie
    bwogilvie Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    For what it's worth, I had a similar feeling, though not as severe, for the first 3 weeks or so of my weight loss. It got a lot better after that. Interestingly, 3 weeks or so is about how long it takes to adapt to a low carbohydrate, high fat diet (LCHF), which makes me wonder whether the feeling is related to the fact that your body is in the process of adapting to getting more of its energy from stored body fat.

I did find that if I tried to ride out the intense feeling of hunger, it often passed in 15-20 minutes. If not, a glass of water sometimes helped. If that didn't work, a dill pickle usually did the job. Dr. Yoni Freedhoff (author of The Diet Fix, one of the few dieting books I've read that's actually worthwhile) recommends allocating a couple hundred calories each day to small, protein-rich snacks to eat between meals; he finds that helps many of his patients avoid the intense cravings that lead them to eat beyond their calorie goals. You might consider giving that a try.
  • cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    Options
    I just took a peak at your diary and it seems a bit carb heavy. Have you tried reducing your carbs to see if this would help with cravings?
  • claritea1
    claritea1 Posts: 23 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    cathipa wrote: »
    I just took a peak at your diary and it seems a bit carb heavy. Have you tried reducing your carbs to see if this would help with cravings?

I’ve always felt better with more carbs. I tried to go low-carb a while back and felt terrible. Definitely not for me.

Not sure if you read my latest reply, but my shaky, sick feeling went away when I upped my calorie goal to a less aggressive deficit. I’m happy to be feeling better and still able to loose (albeit at a slower pace). Eventually, I will make healthier food choices. Right now it’s all about staying on this wagon. ;-)

Also, the past 2-3 days have been heavily influenced by my time of the month. A normal day would be within calorie goal with a little less carbs.

• cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    Options
    claritea1 wrote: »
    cathipa wrote: »

I’ve always felt better with more carbs. I tried to go low-carb a while back and felt terrible. Definitely not for me.

Not sure if you read my latest reply, but my shaky, sick feeling went away when I upped my calorie goal to a less aggressive deficit. I’m happy to be feeling better and still able to loose (albeit at a slower pace). Eventually, I will make healthier food choices. Right now it’s all about staying on this wagon. ;-)

Also, the past 2-3 days have been heavily influenced by my time of the month. A normal day would be within calorie goal with a little less carbs.

Understood. I guess I missed that second page :) Best of luck to you!
  • UltraVegAthlete
    UltraVegAthlete Posts: 667 Member
    Options
    Oh my gosh this is me! If I am still hungry after eating a huge amount of food, I just fill up on steamed veggies or airpopped popcorn. Sometimes that works. But yeah...I get that feeling all the time.
  • ashliedelgado
    ashliedelgado Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    Tracking my cycle helped me a lot when it comes to this. I know when I can expect a change in appetite, and learned ways for me to combat it - for me and many others, I just eat at maintenance those handful of days (2 for me). Usually accomplished by eating the dang cookie I crave.