I get hungry after a workout

Options
So after my workout which is mainly low cardio I get hungry after a workout. I eat breakfast before I go to the gym and I drink lots of water during my workout.
I don't understand why I feel such hunger
Any advice??

Replies

• Lesscookies1
    Lesscookies1 Posts: 250 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    I normally pack a protein bar and nuts as a post workout snack. I eat it after a workout, and drink some water after. It really helps me feel more refreshed and not hungry.
  • ZRunner5Lulaica
    ZRunner5Lulaica Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I normally pack a protein bar and nuts as a post workout snack. I eat it after a workout, and drink some water after. It really helps me feel more refreshed and not hungry.

Same. I pack nuts or jerky (or if I'm feeling fancy, trail mix). It doesn't fill me up, but it helps with the sudden workout hunger.
  • WillingtoLose1001984
    Options
    So after my workout which is mainly low cardio I get hungry after a workout. I eat breakfast before I go to the gym and I drink lots of water during my workout.
    Any advice??

It's interesting how people are different. If I do a hard cardio workout, I am not hungry for a while. Intensity can make a difference in hunger. If you ate less than normal the day before you might also be more hungry after a workout. You could be due for a meal as well.
  • catherineg3
    catherineg3 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I think this is a pretty typical feeling. the cardio workout depletes glycogen stores and that will cause lower blood sugar after the workout. if you decide to have a post-workout snack, include some protein.

Also, this depends on what you are eating for breakfast. a typical breakfast can be very high carb and may include things like cereal, pastries, toast, hash browns, pancakes, waffles, muffins, oatmeal, milk, yogurt, fruit, orange juice. All of these will give you a big immediate rise in blood sugar and energy, then a couple hours later, which may be coincidentally after the workout, blood sugar drops to very low. I find that when I feel the most hunger, my blood sugar level is low. I would suggest trying a higher protein breakfast like eggs for a few days and see if that makes a difference. I find lower carbohydrate meals with higher protein and fat keep me feeling full longer, and keep my energy and blood sugar levels steady instead of the rollercoaster of ups and downs.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,594 Member
    Options
    Any advice??
    Um because you reduced your energy balance by exercise? Remember when as a kid, you'd swim for like an hour or so then come out starving?

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    You've burned off some energy so it makes sense for your body to tell you to replace that energy.

Any advice??
    Don't make your deficit too large.
    Do log and eat back your exercise calories.
    Plan to take your hunger into account- if you know you are going to be hungry plan your eating around that fact.

• StevefromMichigan
    StevefromMichigan Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    Any advice??

It's interesting how people are different. If I do a hard cardio workout, I am not hungry for a while. Intensity can make a difference in hunger. If you ate less than normal the day before you might also be more hungry after a workout. You could be due for a meal as well.

For me, it's the next day that I am usually ravenous...and even more so after strength training.
  • mfpfreedomnow
    mfpfreedomnow Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Brewing fresh ginger and drinking it with a milk helps with the hunger pangs.
  • StevefromMichigan
    Options

Ginger tea?
  • mfpfreedomnow
    mfpfreedomnow Posts: 52 Member
    Options

Ginger tea?

Yep! Ginger tea with a decent amount of milk.
  • Lesscookies1
    Lesscookies1 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    I've recently started to pack some clementines it's amazing.
  • StevefromMichigan
    Options

Ginger tea?

Yep! Ginger tea with a decent amount of milk.

Hmm. Don't really like it, but maybe in this case that's a plus? :)