SSRI and constipation ?

Options
So this may be a TMI post but I’m gonna ask anyway ..
I exercise almost everyday , have a diet high in protein , fiber , fruits / veggies and consume enough water Daily. I have been using anti depressants for about 3 months and experience irregularity from time to time .
Sometimes it’s pretty uncomfortable . What can I do to combat thjs and not use laxatives and stimulants ?

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,121 Member
    Options
    Fats...how is your fat intake? The goals on this site for fat are MINIMUMS to hit. Lots of fiber and lowfat leads to this problem.
  • ezahorodny1712
    ezahorodny1712 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I’d say they are adequate for my height / weight
  • ezahorodny1712
    Options
    And I don’t over do the fiber .. i take Align recommended by my GI
  • cmriverside
    edited February 2018
    Options
    And I don’t over do the fiber .. i take Align recommended by my GI

If you're under the care of a GI and you're taking a prescribed supplement, I'd say ask your doctor about this.
  • cmriverside
    Options
    Does your SSRI list constipation as a side-effect? If so, there are lots of other anti-depressants that you can try.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    Some SSRIs slow down your gaatric emptying a bit so constipation isn't uncommon. Ask your GI for suggestions
  • ezahorodny1712
    Options
    Thanks
  • Seffell
    Seffell Posts: 2,222 Member
    Options
    Check up Macrogol. It is a laxative but its method of action is to add volume to the stools and make them softer by attaching water molecules to them and does not affect the intestinal natural peristaltics so can be taken indefinately for chronic constipation without any side effect for the intestines i.e. it won't interfere with the bowel movement reflex.
  • ezahorodny1712
    Options
    Thank you I will check this out for sure !