What are your favorite sports to watch and play?

Replies

• Versicolour
    Versicolour Posts: 7,164 Member
    I don't really watch any sport. I certainly wouldn't go out of my way to watch anything. If it happens to be on when I walk past I would probably sit down and keep watching gymnastics or figure skating. If my dad is watching motorcar racing I will sit with him and watch to spend some time with him. Tai chi is incredible! I would probably watch some forms if I came across them.

Sports I do - karate and running.
    In the past I did volleyball, soccer, cheerleading and karate. Not a very sporty person
  • Merkavar
    Merkavar Posts: 3,082 Member
    _barefoot_ wrote: »
    Pool anyone ?

9dcg13ojuwse.gif

Controversial but is pool a sport? Or a game? Like chess or poker?
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,492 Member
    Merkavar wrote: »
    Pool anyone ?

9dcg13ojuwse.gif

is it a sport?

probably. it depends high skill and coordination.

• Versicolour
    Idk if this will embed...let me see...some Judo throws! So neat! I tried this out one day after getting bored with karate and "fell for it" (har har har :D<3 )

Fy01Jlq.gifv

I've never liked the up close and personal nature of throws - I need my space; kicking distance preferably! The fact that most fights go to the ground just makes me more nervous about putting myself in dangerous situations.
  • Motorsheen
    Pool anyone ?

9dcg13ojuwse.gif

I would say sport, personally. It takes a mastery of physical skill...hand-to-eye coordination...

and there's a ball!

...that YOU move...I think it's probably a sport. I think like English Darts and Archery are sports. Riflery or the guys who do like the cowboy target shooting...that's a sport imo.

Now...the guys who make trebuchets and throw pumpkins...that's a tough one. I'm thinking no...it's definitely a competition, however. Maybe if they did it for time so that had to move quickly or something.

dunno.... if billiards is a sport, why not archery?

it's not on the same level as basketball or hockey, but yeah.... it's a sport.
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen wrote: »
    Pool anyone ?

9dcg13ojuwse.gif

I would say sport, personally. It takes a mastery of physical skill...hand-to-eye coordination...

and there's a ball!

...that YOU move...I think it's probably a sport. I think like English Darts and Archery are sports. Riflery or the guys who do like the cowboy target shooting...that's a sport imo.

Now...the guys who make trebuchets and throw pumpkins...that's a tough one. I'm thinking no...it's definitely a competition, however. Maybe if they did it for time so that had to move quickly or something.

I DO think Archery is a sport.

I also log archery workouts, too...I'm not competing, but...it's a fantastic way to get some steps and you do use your back muscles.

If it's in the olympics...imo it's definitely a sport. They have a like a whole group of people who argue about it so I trust them.

oops... I misread that.

more coffee needed!!

wait.

is coffee drinking a sport? (please say 'yes'.)
  • Motorsheen
    https://youtu.be/WBNbqMEoHwE

I love Bo Jackson because he was so awesome in Tecmo Bowl.

He was unstoppable!
    https://youtu.be/8PBvOxicz-0

okay, now that's an athlete.

gotta love Bo.
  • Versicolour
    Idk if this will embed...let me see...some Judo throws! So neat! I tried this out one day after getting bored with karate and "fell for it" (har har har :D<3 )

Fy01Jlq.gifv

I've never liked the up close and personal nature of throws - I need my space; kicking distance preferably! The fact that most fights go to the ground just makes me more nervous about putting myself in dangerous situations.

And totally yeah...imo...your "self-defense" is your common sense and social grace.

Don't hang around bad people and bad places, have good social habits...and you won't be in fights.

Yeah. Every time I've been confronted with an unknown attacker I have gone for a weapon. It was always a robbery though, and they never intended to do me any harm. The one time I was mugged while 7 months pregnant and with my 4-year-old (at the time). I had an empty plaatic water bottle that I hit him with. FYI - totally ineffective weapon! I had a bad feeling about that though and should have listened to my gut and stayed in a public place. But I was tired and wanted to get back and put my feet up.

Another time was actually quite funny (I was laughing while telling the police about it, they thought I'd cracked and needed trauma counselling). I was asleep when the burger came into my room and demanded my jewellery. I stood up and opened the jewellery box and glared at him. He tried to push me back onto the bed and told me to sleep. So I did a dive roll over the bed to retrieve the tonfa that was on that side of the bed. He ran and we had a bit of a tug of war with me over the bedroom door until I remembered there were throwing knives in the sock drawer. So I went for those. He got out before I could throw them though. Fun times! Haha. My hip was a bit bruised where he kicked me trying to get me to release my grip on the door, but I've had worse injuries.

Now self-defense against someone you know is an entirely different kettle of fish. After all, you think you know them and they know you and why would they want to hurt you and why would you want to hurt them? Right? The line blurs somewhat

Anywho. Way too much information. TL:DR
  • Versicolour
    Pool anyone ?

9dcg13ojuwse.gif

and there's a ball!

I DO think Archery is a sport.

I also log archery workouts, too...I'm not competing, but...it's a fantastic way to get some steps and you do use your back muscles.

If it's in the olympics...imo it's definitely a sport. They have a like a whole group of people who argue about it so I trust them.

oops... I misread that.

more coffee needed!!

wait.

is coffee drinking a sport? (please say 'yes'.)

I do believe I would win any coffee drinking! Sunday I had 7 cups and could have had more if I had the energy to make them
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    edited February 2018
    Probably NFL football...though I don't watch like I used to. The product is currently pretty mediocre and I also cut the cord awhile back so I only watch over the air and a lot of matchups just aren't that interesting and my market shows mostly Denver Broncos and Dallas Cowboys football...so pretty lame games...

ETA: I was pretty obsessed when I was a kid and awestruck by Dan Marino. My kid is a Packer's fan so we always watch the Packer's when they're on and I took him to Atlanta for the NFC championship game between the Falcons and Packers and we had an awesome time even with the Pac stinking up the joint that game...