Here I go again on my own...

Options
Going down the only road.......
Whitesnake lyrics aside, I'm back again looking for motivation.

Anyone got a great nugget of advice they were given, something you heard or
otherwise found?

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Yes... motivation is fleeting, commitment is durable. Don't start a diet/exercise plan unless you see yourself happily sticking to it for life.
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,071 Member
    Options
    I now have that stuck in mu head thanks!

Some of the best advice I have heard:

"Weight loss isn't easy, but it is simple"
    "Motivation wains, habit and discipline sustains"
    "Think of it as a lifestyle change, not a diet, diets are temporary"
    "Slow progress is better than no progress"
  • alisonbarkerjevne
    alisonbarkerjevne Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Weigh yourself weekly not daily is a good one for me
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,071 Member
    Options

Not good for everyone though, weighing daily is what actually helped me and a lot of others to understand their fluctuations better, particularly when using a trend weight app/graph
  • ConnieAGinther
    ConnieAGinther Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    Remember this is a lifestyle change, NOT a diet!!
  • qandv9
    qandv9 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    You only die once. Live the best life you can.
  • steveko89
    steveko89 Posts: 2,217 Member
    Options

I encourage the inverse; weighing daily and using a trend app like Libra or Happy Scale. Weighing daily can be demonstrative in seeing/believing daily fluctuations due to water retention, sodium intake, changes in exercise, and women's monthly cycles. Creating the habit of weighing daily for the sake of data collection can also help minimize the event-based mindset of having a "weigh-in", which causes undo stress and anxiety for some.

I also think weighing weekly doesn't show you the whole picture. My weight was up pretty significantly yesterday because I had Pizza Saturday and Chinese Sunday, putting me at 176.2, which happens to be the weight I was on 1/1. Imagining myself as the average Resolutioner user having started logging on New Years' Day; seeing a perceived zero loss from my starting weight on a hypothetical weekly Monday weigh-in despite averaging a 300 cal/day deficit over the same period would likely prompt a "HELP, WHY AREN'T I LOSING WEIGHT!!!!" post (and subsequent accusations and arguments over the efficacy of water retention weight, the accuracy of logging, how many exercise calories the OP is using, and someone invariably suggesting the OP cut carbs and increase intake by 10% to "shake things up") if not thoughts of "well I just torpedoed my whole progress with one weekend, I might as well stop trying". Since I weigh daily, (have been doing so since July) I know my weights (171.5-172) from the end of last week are far more representative of my current fat-loss scenario, the 173, 176, 173 weights of Sunday, yesterday, and this morning are expected given my meals over the weekend and will ultimately just be a bump on the trendline still pointing downwards. /rant