Swimmers?

Options
Are there any swimmers out there?

I see loads of posts about the gym/ running/ cycling etc but not much about swimming

I am a swimmer, I used to swim for a club but having a child with autism and a husband who works shifts makes it hard to maintain that level of fitness so I now try and swim 2-3 times a week. I don't like the gym, and have fallen out of love with classes.

I would love any swimmers to add me as a friend on here, maybe we could share tips/programs etc

Replies

• ValeriePlz
    ValeriePlz Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    I swim for triathlon training, although I haven't swam for a few months because I dyed my hair purple and didn't want to mess up the dye in the chlorine. :) Will be back in the pool in a few weeks, feel free to add.
  • UmmSqueaky
    UmmSqueaky Posts: 715 Member
    Options
    I think most swim people hang out here - http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/122-swimmers
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    UmmSqueaky wrote: »
    I think most swim people hang out here - http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/122-swimmers

Really? I don't find that to be a very active group. Most the questions I've posted there get only a couple of responses and very few new topics get posted.
  • Okiludy
    Okiludy Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    Swim.com has an app and a bit of a community. I tried it out last summer but I don't swim enough for it to matter. There are a few swimmers around but your right not too much in terms of threads.
  • ceolyn
    ceolyn Posts: 31 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    I swim 3x a week between 40-60 minutes. I just sent you a friend request. I also joined the community mentioned above, but as they said, it's kinda quiet most of the time.
  • Lisa_ASD_Mummy
    Lisa_ASD_Mummy Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    thanks for the adds, I swim as much as I can fit in with my son and my husbands shifts, I am thinking of trying to go before work and the days that my husband starts late so he can watch our son, it will mean our daughter getting herself to college though so not sure how well that will work, she's nearly 18 so I am sure it won't hurt her lols.

I joined the group above but it does seem quiet looking at the date/time stamps on the posts.
  • UmmSqueaky
    UmmSqueaky Posts: 715 Member
    Options
    Meh, I don't think there are many swimmers on MFP in general, and what there are are in that group :)
  • goatg
    goatg Posts: 1,399 Member
    Options
    Sure! I swim with a Tri team, and occasionally masters. Am in the pool usually 3x/wk
  • skinnyrev2b
    skinnyrev2b Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    Lol. I swim two - three times a week. But I'm not up to the standard of those in the swimmers group so I just do my own thing. (Trying to string three front crawl lengths together at the mo...! Can backstroke and breaststroke for hours. FC? Not so much.)
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,400 Member
    Options
    I've been swimming 22 yrs--3x a week. There are swimmers on here, but many of them do other things too. Do a search and you'll pull up some swimming threads with training ideas. There are people just starting, to people who competition ocean swim. They'll come out of the woodwork if you need help or have a question.
  • nadel2016
    nadel2016 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I just started swimming . I go between 4-5 times a week for one hour.
    I haven’t been swimming for years bec of my kids so I enjoy my little bit me time.
    Really having trouble finding some swim goggles.
    The ones who don’t leak giving me bad marks around my eyes , so I look like a panda.
    Feel free to add me :)
  • girlwithcurls2
    girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,259 Member
    Options
    I'm an "adult learner," as it were... ;). (I think that's what I'd be labelled...)
    I nearly took lessons as a kid for literally years, and made almost no progress. Then I almost drowned at 11 and my mom put me in lessons until I passed an initial class (and lived with the fear of drowning until I was into adulthood). At 47, I decided it didn't look "that hard" and started trying to swim laps. HA!!! I swam one length of the pool and realized (totally deprived of oxygen) that if I didn't swim back, the guard was going to wonder and worry... I started watching goswim videos and others. Got into the Swimmers! group here. Added a length when I could. Now, I'm a mediocre swimmer who swims 45 laps/swim 3-5 times a week with a deep water cardio class too. The Swimmers! group is great. Not a lot of activity, but a solid group of people with a variety of skill levels, goals and personalities that make us pretty freakin great :blush: Try us. We're not super-posters, but if you want encouragement, advice or support, we're your peeps.
  • snowflake954
    Options
    nadel2016 wrote: »
    I haven’t been swimming for years bec of my kids so I enjoy my little bit me time.
    The ones who don’t leak giving me bad marks around my eyes , so I look like a panda.

I live in Italy and the very best goggles I've found are "Aqua Sphere". They give you great visual side vision. My husband who's now 64 and has been swimming since he was a teenager, tried them (I bugged him about them) and decided they are fantastic. I went last week to buy several pair and the store doesn't carry them anymore--downsizing in the swim department. However here's their web site:www.aquasphereswim.com. I may have to buy online. Also--for the panda look, don't tighten your googles too much, it actually lets more water in and gives you headaches. They should be snug, and you can feel the suction. Best.
  • Adaro666
    Adaro666 Posts: 9 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    Because of my bad knees, swimming is one of the few things I can do besides walking. So I just started this year, but my fitness level is below zero. I try to go 2-3 times a week and swim 50 laps, 25m each, within 40 minutes. But it makes me feel proud after doing no sports at all for almost 10 years ;-)
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    Been trying to go twice a week. Hit 1000M both times this week, 31 minutes last night. Goal right now is to swim continuous 200M front crawl. That is the minimum level for the next set of lessons I want to take. Took the adult intro lessons last Oct-Dec and prior to that, had not had lessons since a teenager (I'm 52) and only mucked around in lakes when it was warm.

Also use Aqua Sphere goggles. Got mine at MEC (in Canada). https://www.mec.ca/en/product/5047-341/Kayenne-Polarized-Goggles
  • goatg
    Options

We all look like raccoons when we leave the pool. Welcome to the club ;)
  • goatg
    Options

I live in Italy and the very best goggles I've found are "Aqua Sphere". They give you great visual side vision. My husband who's now 64 and has been swimming since he was a teenager, tried them (I bugged him about them) and decided they are fantastic. I went last week to buy several pair and the store doesn't carry them anymore--downsizing in the swim department. However here's their web site:www.aquasphereswim.com. I may have to buy online. Also--for the panda look, don't tighten your googles too much, it actually lets more water in and gives you headaches. They should be snug, and you can feel the suction. Best.

Just added to my Amazon cart. Thanks!
  • snowflake954
    Options
    goatg wrote: »

Just added to my Amazon cart. Thanks!

Let me know what you think of them. I've been using them for at least 5 yrs and love them.
  • goatg
    edited February 2018
    Options

Let me know what you think of them. I've been using them for at least 5 yrs and love them.

For sure. I usually just go to Paragon and get whichever stick to my face with the strap removed (they have a display with a large selection you can try on). Still, I find water almost always leaks in within 1k, sometimes only 2-300 if I'm doing flip turns (I have the same issue with caps riding up, but have the most success with a long hair latex style).

Looking forward to trying them. Thanks.
  • Lisa_ASD_Mummy
    Lisa_ASD_Mummy Posts: 36 Member
    Options

I use the Zoggs Fusion Air goggles, no suction and really comfy, I have bought the junior version for my son to, they come with a variety of nose pieces so you can adjust them to fit properly