to much fiber?

Options
I have been consuming 90 grams of fiber per day, is this to much? and should I subract those numbers from my macronutrients?

Replies

• malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    That’s a lot. Is your system handling it well?

If you’re following net carbs, yes. I don’t do net carbs, so I don’t subtract it.
  • kfdillingham
    kfdillingham Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    That seems a lot. I only consume 35g a day.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    If you feel fine and it's from food (not supplements) it's probably fine, but what are you consuming?
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    And if you're eating so much greens and whole grains, are you getting enough of everything else?
  • brandiuntz
    brandiuntz Posts: 2,717 Member
    Options
    Also curious what you're eating to consume so much a day. I think recommended (or maybe it's minimum) is 25grams for men and 22 for women. I average 22-41 a day.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    brandiuntz wrote: »
    Also curious what you're eating to consume so much a day. I think recommended (or maybe it's minimum) is 25grams for men and 22 for women. I average 22-41 a day.

30-38 for men is generally recommended...21-25 for women
  • Flereous
    Flereous Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Ok, I am so constipated and I want to know what the heck your eating to consume that much fiber LOL. As long as your regular and drinking plenty of water to push everything out you should be fine, but I must admit I'm jealous! What are you eating?!
  • cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    Options
    Unnecessary - yes. Too much - only if you are having problems from consuming that amount (diarrhea, constipation, gas, bloating). You can't overdose on fiber, but how are you getting that much per day in your diet?
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    Flereous wrote: »
    Ok, I am so constipated and I want to know what the heck your eating to consume that much fiber LOL. As long as your regular and drinking plenty of water to push everything out you should be fine, but I must admit I'm jealous! What are you eating?!

What is your diet like? Do you eat a lot vegetables and fruit? How is your fat intake?
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    brandiuntz wrote: »

That's a minimum, much more is fine.
  • SolotoCEO
    SolotoCEO Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    This has to be a troll post.... Eating that much fibre - I'm not even sure it's humanly possible without exploding. You couldn't drink enough to get it out!
  • thebuz
    thebuz Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    90 grams of fiber is excessive. Too much fiber can cause issues. And remember, fiber is a binding agent...it can bind nutrients and cause them to be eliminated before they are absorbed. Common absorption issues from excessive fiber are iron, chromium, copper, zinc, and calcium.

The balance between water and fiber in the GI track is also important. Fiber attracts water in the GI track so if there's too much fiber and not enough water, dehydration of the GI track can occur.

I currently take similar amounts as I have a condition called Hepatic Flexure Syndrome and I need the extra fiber or I get pain and digestive issues. It's important to note that fiber comes in two forms and pass through the system with different effects.

Soluble fiber is "soluble" in water. When mixed with water it forms a gel-like substance and swells. Soluble fiber has many benefits, including moderating blood glucose levels and lowering cholesterol. The scientific names for soluble fibers include pectins, gums, mucilages, and some hemicelluloses. Good sources of soluble fiber include oats and oatmeal, legumes (peas, beans, lentils), barley, fruits and vegetables (especially oranges, apples and carrots).

Insoluble fiber does not absorb or dissolve in water. It passes through our digestive system in close to its original form. Insoluble fiber offers many benefits to intestinal health, including a reduction in the risk and occurrence of hemorrhoids and constipation. The scientific names for insoluble fibers include cellulose, lignins, and also some other hemicelluloses. Most of insoluble fibers come from the bran layers of cereal grains.
  • thebuz
    Options

Just FYI, too much fiber can make constipation worse...much worse. It can also lead to hard and bulky stools that are very painful...

This is dependent on the type of fiber. Not all fiber would cause constipation. Many times it can relieve it.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    90 grams of fiber is excessive. Too much fiber can cause issues. And remember, fiber is a binding agent...it can bind nutrients and cause them to be eliminated before they are absorbed. Common absorption issues from excessive fiber are iron, chromium, copper, zinc, and calcium.

The balance between water and fiber in the GI track is also important. Fiber attracts water in the GI track so if there's too much fiber and not enough water, dehydration of the GI track can occur.

It makes so much sense to me now. I've always teetered between kind of okay and slightly deficient, but never great. Granted, my meat intake has always been low but I thought because I eat leafy greens I would be fine. My fiber is often high. Not 90 grams, but still higher that average. Wonder if that has something to do with it.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    thebuz wrote: »

Just FYI, too much fiber can make constipation worse...much worse. It can also lead to hard and bulky stools that are very painful...

This is dependent on the type of fiber. Not all fiber would cause constipation. Many times it can relieve it.

Yeah, I know...

Typically someone who is eating very high fiber is eating a lot of oats, legumes, lentils, etc which are higher in soluble fiber...without adequate water, you can get dehydration of the GI track which is what leads to constipation and/or hardening of stools.

Insoluble fiber can often help with constipation, but too much can also give you diarrhea.

I currently take similar amounts as I have a condition called Hepatic Flexure Syndrome and I need the extra fiber or I get pain and digestive issues. It's important to note that fiber comes in two forms and pass through the system with different effects.

Soluble fiber is "soluble" in water. When mixed with water it forms a gel-like substance and swells. Soluble fiber has many benefits, including moderating blood glucose levels and lowering cholesterol. The scientific names for soluble fibers include pectins, gums, mucilages, and some hemicelluloses. Good sources of soluble fiber include oats and oatmeal, legumes (peas, beans, lentils), barley, fruits and vegetables (especially oranges, apples and carrots).

Insoluble fiber does not absorb or dissolve in water. It passes through our digestive system in close to its original form. Insoluble fiber offers many benefits to intestinal health, including a reduction in the risk and occurrence of hemorrhoids and constipation. The scientific names for insoluble fibers include cellulose, lignins, and also some other hemicelluloses. Most of insoluble fibers come from the bran layers of cereal grains.

Yes, I am aware...but none of that changes the fact that fiber is a binding agent and can cause absorption issues when consumed in excess and can cause dehydration of the GI track.

You have a medical condition...for the vast majority of the population, 90 grams of fiber is excessive and isn't particularly beneficial in any way.

Note that I eat a relatively high fiber diet...40-50 grams...don't really see how doubling that would be of any benefit and honestly I'd just feel like a bloated stuck pig...
  • thebuz
    edited February 2018
    Options

Yeah, I know...

Typically someone who is eating very high fiber is eating a lot of oats, legumes, lentils, etc which are higher in soluble fiber...without adequate water, you can get dehydration of the GI track which is what leads to constipation and/or hardening of stools.

Insoluble fiber can often help with constipation, but too much can also give you diarrhea.

Yes, I am aware...but none of that changes the fact that fiber is a binding agent and can cause absorption issues when consumed in excess and can cause dehydration of the GI track.

You have a medical condition...for the vast majority of the population, 90 grams of fiber is excessive and isn't particularly beneficial in any way.

Note that I eat a relatively high fiber diet...40-50 grams...don't really see how doubling that would be of any benefit and honestly I'd just feel like a bloated stuck pig...

I agree my intake seems excessive but understanding the difference of the two fibers and how much of each being ingested is of importance also.

Also just realized I'm taking closer to 50 grams not the 90 or so that OP is mentioning which does seem excessive regardless of type. :-)